The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs. Vegas Golden Knights | August 25th, 2020 | 6:45pm PT, SNP | R2G2

Rate this topic

Roberts

4 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

The definitions for crosscheck are pretty clear.  

Game 4 against blues we get 3 straight power plays to Start the game, was not the refs fault we didn’t capitalize, like I said, Terribly inconsistent Not out to get us

We need to answer the bell and can't expect Rousell to do all of the answering.  We need McEwen in the line up to help defend our more vulnerable players who are getting pushed around after the whistles.  Vegas is playing the same game that Boston did when they ragdolled the Sedins, etc.  If no one stands up against the bully then they will keep getting bullied.

3 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

DeBrusk has called out soft b.s. calls against us on a couple of occasions this post season so far, and good on him for it. When fans are in the building you can understand how the refs might get caught up in the groundswell of homer emotions, but against the silent backdrop of this years games some of these calls literally scream incompetence.   

I also think there is a level of confirmation bias to the refereeing at times

There is a general consensus that Boston is "big and tough" - so when they do something that is close to (but over the line and should be a penalty), it can get dismissed as part of the "they are big and tough" thought

Vancouver is not usually known as "big and tough" - so when they do a big and tough play, it is out of the norm and the thought bias is that it must be a penalty

Not saying it is right, or fair-  but there are some human tendencies that are very difficult to remove/ignore. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

If you genuinely feel that way then why bother watching the games? I mean if they consistently "manage" the games to the benefit of other teams why go to a Canucks game?

Referees in every sport have been criticized by teams and their fans no matter what team wins. Its pointless is my argument. You cant change it and you have to overcome it. Calling it the elephant in the room is silly because an elephant in the room is something often not discussed. This has been discussed to the point of nauseousness. The refs are humans. They make mistakes like everyone. They have biases like everyone. In sports sometimes you have to beat both the other team and the refs. Its just reality.

also the NFL has had many issues with officiating as well. The Seahawks loss in the super bowl to the Steelers, The cardinals loss in the super bowl to the Steelers , and dont even bother to go ask the Saints how they feel about the refs.... thats a long term commitment

We watch because of moments like game 2 against at louis when we still pulled out the win despite completely one sided reffing. 

They influence games but dont determine the game. The problem is, sometimes they influence it too much for the boys to overcome. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

We watch because of moments like game 2 against at louis when we still pulled out the win despite completely one sided reffing. 

They influence games but dont determine the game. The problem is, sometimes they influence it too much for the boys to overcome. 

What about 3 straight power plays to start game 4 that we didn’t capitalize on, is that the refs influence?

9 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I agree but the officiating goes two ways. In sports it is perspective on how the game is reffed.

I hope we watch because we love the game. I hope we watch because we appreciate the team we have.

I think there are times when the calls go with us and there are times when they go against us. Its a reality in sports. I think the loss last game had little to do with the officiating and more to do with how we played, who we targeted and what we allowed Vegas to do in our end.

If we want to draw more penalties we need to do it with our skating and skill on the rush. Those are the penalties we can draw.

10 minutes ago, rychicken said:

There is a general consensus that Boston is "big and tough" - so when they do something that is close to (but over the line and should be a penalty), it can get dismissed as part of the "they are big and tough" thought

Vancouver is not usually known as "big and tough" - so when they do a big and tough play, it is out of the norm and the thought bias is that it must be a penalty

Not saying it is right, or fair-  but there are some human tendencies that are very difficult to remove/ignore. 

Which is PRECISELY why I hate those "big bad (insert one of:  Bruins, Blues, Golden Boys)" labels.  It's almost like they get a free pass because they're expected to play that way. 

Good point.

Sadly though...our label of being "this/that/theother" has been carried for FAR too long and the league needs to not be stuck in the dark ages.  It's getting there, slowly, but what is and what has always been needs to change.  We still carry stuff from the Bertuzzi era...I'm certain of it.  Time to let it all go and allow this team to form a new identity.  The league likes to see us as soft and whiny but Rock 'em Sock 'em and Don Cherry are now gone.  Time to shift that to skilled and speedy and show some respect.  We're seeing baby steps toward that, but not fast enough.

Don't base a team's play on their reputation....if that's the case, we don't even need officials.

Some will say you have to "earn" that...but how long does it take?  Don't handcuff a team.  Allow Tyler Myers to battle and also be big and bad.  Allow Roussel to do stuff if a blind eye is turned to a cackling chicken over on the Vegas bench.

It's definitely something that is "a script" in how you describe it, RC.     But that does the game in real time a bit of a disservice...each game, clean slate.

I've actually been going against those "labels" SINCE the Bertuzzi thing, when I argued against them using the "they're out for blood" in the video montage hype between the Avs/Canucks back then.  They got exactly what they were promoting...but wait, someone got hurt?  It went too far?  In a game of testosterone, passion, intensity, rivalries that's the risk you incur.

And they still don't know which way to go on this stuff.  "Allowing" "big bad teams" to fly under the radar because they're supposed to play that way.  If Quinn or Petey get hurt due to inactive officiating, I'm done.

• Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Reputation (or confirmation bias) might be real but it is something we probably contextualize more as fans. What's more likely happening is the referees are swayed a lot by player interactions between the whistles and during commercial breaks, stuff the league is making damn sure that hot mikes aren't transmitting out to the broadcasts. Rooster's misconduct would be case in point of that. 

• Cheers 2

Score an early goal on that scruffy looking ‘panda’ and play with the lead. That will silence the livestock on their bench. 

Thanks for the chirping during and after the game Vegas, just the fuel the Canucks need to be fired up. 

The good guys take game #2.

1 minute ago, logic said:

What about 3 straight power plays to start game 4 that we didn’t capitalize on, is that the refs influence?

It depends, were those legit penalties? 

There's a reason why broadcasters and analysts say thing a like make up call, or expecting one team to take the next penalty as a result of the penalty distribution in a game etc. 

If those arent referee influenced than what is? 

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I agree but the officiating goes two ways. In sports it is perspective on how the game is reffed.

I hope we watch because we love the game. I hope we watch because we appreciate the team we have.

I think there are times when the calls go with us and there are times when they go against us. Its a reality in sports. I think the loss last game had little to do with the officiating and more to do with how we played, who we targeted and what we allowed Vegas to do in our end.

If we want to draw more penalties we need to do it with our skating and skill on the rush. Those are the penalties we can draw.

Absolutely. 

Last game the boys didnt show up and only need to look at the mirror to see that. 

However game management does exist in this game and to deny that would be like closing your eyes and plugging your ears. 

If the canucks get blown out again tonight, i can guarantee you that we will have more pp than thr knights in game 3

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, hlinkas wrister said:

Reputation (or confirmation bias) might be real but it is something we probably contextualize more as fans. What's more likely happening is the referees are swayed a lot by player interactions between the whistles and during commercial breaks, stuff the league is making damn sure that hot mikes aren't transmitting out to the broadcasts. Rooster's misconduct would be case in point of that. 

So what about the muggings on Petey and Quinn that involve a lot of stuff that's called in other games?  Or, more importantly, against our team?

When you have a team being called for softies, call both teams for them.  I don't think Petey or Quinn have been engaged in much of the crap you refer to.  As a matter of fact and according to Drance (I think), the Golden Boys heckled them every chance they got.  

13 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

Absolutely. 

Last game the boys didnt show up and only need to look at the mirror to see that. 

However game management does exist in this game and to deny that would be like closing your eyes and plugging your ears. 

If the canucks get blown out again tonight, i can guarantee you that we will have more pp than thr knights in game 3

No one is saying that game management doesnt exist. I am saying it happens but you have to deal with it. No eyes closed or plugging of ears. You have to beat the refs and the other team sometimes.

Edited by mikeyman109

3 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

No one is saying that game management doesnt exist. I am saying it happens but you have to deal with it. No eyes closed or plugging of ears. You have to beat the refs and the other team sometimes.

Ok we are on the same page in terms of whether gamd management exists and what the canucks need to do to move on. 

It still doesn't make it right is all im saying

• Cheers 2