The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] TOR moves Kapanen, Lindgren & Aberg to PIT for 2020 1st, Rodrigues, Hallander & Warsofsky

goalie13

On 8/26/2020 at 4:39 AM, Rush17 said:

They can have Tanev.. we will sign Pietro.

Yeah righto..., 

In a 1/2 serious topic.  Shattenkirk coulkd ouble his salary.  And be affordable in Toronto. He is not exactly the type of D they need?

But is the type they trend to going for.

10 hours ago, Monty said:

Man, I kinda hope they do that trade. If Barrie ended up being a bad fit for them, as his game just didn't suit their system, Ristolainen would be a tire fire of an addition. One of the worst defensive d-men in the league. Unless he's producing at a phenomenal clip offensively, which hasn't happened, he's a liability on the backend. If that's who the Leafs would ultimately target, as he's the best they could get, it would be in their best interest to do nothing.

But, that's not what Dubas does. Act first, think later.

AMan Can Dream Though Sigh GIF - AManCanDreamThough Sigh Futurama -  Discover & Share GIFs

Then hopefully Carolina sells them back on defensive ace Jake Gardiner, that'll be the day

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, peaches5 said:

I went on capfriendly looked at all the teams dman and basically I think these are the 4 guys Nylander could land: Ristolainen, Subban, Gostibehere and Matheson. I don't see Nylander have any shot at landing Dumba. Those dman, unless they have a turn around year like Erhoff had for us in 2011, I don't think they help them at all. They can target a free agent like Brody, Hamonic, Krug, Pietrangelo, Dillon, Tanev and a few others but it's going to be hard to sign these guys without dumping Nylander. You can't really dump Nylander and not get a dman back incase you don't get a FA to sign.. It is a situation that is not looking good. If I was Dubas I would risk Ristolainen have a turn around year. He is a pretty affordable cap hit and you can then still afford to sign a cheaper FA dman like Tanev or Dillon. Your D would look much better and you might potentially win a playoff round. 

The other route is you trade Matthews for Ekman Larsson or at least try to if he will waive his NMC. This would be my first option. There are some rumblings that ownership might not want Ekman Larsson but I don't know if they would want to pay Matthews either.. If they could get Ekman Larsson for Matthews that would be a very solid deal. Other option is I think Columbus would be open to trading Werenski, with the emergence of Jones, for Matthews. I don't think Dubas will trade Marner or Matthews though. 

I'm doubtful there's a chance in hell Buffalo would move Ristolainen with Nylander as the principal.

Although who knows what Kevin Adams will do - firing Botterill this early is a desperation move in my opinion - and that organization is a tire fire.

But Ristolainen:

- lead the Sabres in ice time at 22:48 game

- 33 pts, 203 hits, 82 blocks in 69 games

- his underlying numbers were pretty much a was/balance with his deployment - nothing alarming whatsoever about his 'possession' numbers.

- 4 other D had more giveaways

- lead their blueline in penalty killing ice time.

- 2nd on their blueline in powerplay ice time.

- an even 3.0 goals for and 3.0 goals against per 60 5on5 with him on the ice. (team as whole were outscored).  Eichel and Oloffson the only players with higher on ice goals for, but both of them were in the 58% ozone start range, relative to Ristolainen who was 47.2%.

Not an easy task to be young, principal hard minutes defenseman on a young, not particularly good team.

I think Ristolainen is generally sandbagged prematurely.   A player you don't want to be moving for a double-flamingo winger - that imo would be a horrible move for Buffalo to make. 

Big, physical. talented RHD that can play in all situations - are far more valuable - and rare assets than players like Nylander.

Not a move I would make - not a chance.

Perhaps a Subban type deal is more realistic - but would that deal be an answer to Toronto's problems?  Matheson...meh.   I'm not sure they should expect a better return on Nylander than they got on Kapanen, particularly with the cap situation on the horizon.  I'll be surprised if he returned a D that would improve that team.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm doubtful there's a chance in hell Buffalo would move Ristolainen with Nylander as the principal.

Although who knows what Kevin Adams will do - firing Botterill this early is a desperation move in my opinion - and that organization is a tire fire.

But Ristolainen:

- lead the Sabres in ice time at 22:48 game

- 33 pts, 203 hits, 82 blocks in 69 games

- his underlying numbers were pretty much a was/balance with his deployment - nothing alarming whatsoever about his 'possession' numbers.

- 4 other D had more giveaways

- lead their blueline in penalty killing ice time.

- 2nd on their blueline in powerplay ice time.

- an even 3.0 goals for and 3.0 goals against per 60 5on5 with him on the ice. (team as whole were outscored).  Eichel and Oloffson the only players with higher on ice goals for, but both of them were in the 58% ozone start range, relative to Ristolainen who was 47.2%.

Not an easy task to be young, principal hard minutes defenseman on a young, not particularly good team.

I think Ristolainen is generally sandbagged prematurely.   A player you don't want to be moving for a double-flamingo winger - that imo would be a horrible move for Buffalo to make. 

Big, physical. talented RHD that can play in all situations - are far more valuable - and rare assets than players like Nylander.

Not a move I would make - not a chance.

Perhaps a Subban type deal is more realistic - but would that deal be an answer to Toronto's problems?  Matheson...meh.   I'm not sure they should expect a better return on Nylander than they got on Kapanen, particularly with the cap situation on the horizon.  I'll be surprised if he returned a D that would improve that team.

Nylander and the first they just got from The Pens is what I posted before as what I think could land him not Nylander alone. If he is being shopped. 

24 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

Nylander and the first they just got from The Pens is what I posted before as what I think could land him not Nylander alone. If he is being shopped. 

My counter would be Colin Miller for Nylander straight up..... :bigblush:

11 hours ago, oldnews said:

My counter would be Colin Miller for Nylander straight up..... :bigblush:

I agree that Nylander isn't fetching much in terms of Dman. I expect another Kadri like trade for a Barrie like Dman.

Edited by peaches5

14 hours ago, J-23 said:

Good deal for Toronto.

They need to move Nylander though.

Mirtle says for now they are not looking to move Nylander.  They have other players on the trade block:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2009452

The Leafs have been dangling four names in recent trade talks, with starting netminder Frederik Andersen highlighting a group that also includes forwards Andreas Johnsson, Pierre Engvall, and Alex Kerfoot, multiple NHL clubs confirmed to The Athletic's James Mirtle.

• Cheers 1

They’d be much better off trading one or two contracts, namely Marner and Matthews, as unreasonable as it may seem, short-term. They could be a great, deep team instead of a premier, one line team, and goalie. I know, not happening. 

I am impressed by how poorly they’ve managed the lotto winnings. 

• Vintage 1

On 8/25/2020 at 12:12 PM, NUCKER67 said:

Watch Kapanen become a star in PIT. They traded the wrong guy.

Yep.   Terrible trade IMO.  Kapanen is one of a few guys that is on a good contract for them.  Also understand that nobody would come near Nylander given his cap hit and zero playoff production... but it would have been the smarter play by far even if it was lopsided for them badly (TO gets little back).   Maybe one of their prospects works out but by adding three players to your roster it also affects the cap a little making this appear to be a cap dump when factually it’s not as big of one as it seems.   Someone has to play that spot in the roster ... just goes to show how poorly Dubas has mismanaged that team that now he’s forced to trade away arguably their best cap hit contract.   And he’s Kapanen playing with either Crosby or Malkin is going to explode for 60ish points and more starting next season.  He’s a more complete player then Nylander and doesn’t disappear in the post season.   Sure TO fans spin this in a different light.   They just lost a key core support player and their team just got worse at least in the short term. 

16 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

They’d be much better off trading one or two contracts, namely Marner and Matthews, as unreasonable as it may seem, short-term. They could be a great, deep team instead of a premier, one line team, and goalie. I know, not happening. 

I am impressed by how poorly they’ve managed the lotto winnings. 

Absolutely.  Or at least try and dump Nylander on some poor fool for a bag of pucks if that’s what it takes.    Would be like us trading Horvat (good cap hit) for a first and some prospects.   Stupid deal.   Get they had to do something but this wasn’t the right move, made their team worse and won’t help them other then a couple million in cap relief after they insert a league or close to league minimum guy to replace him, for at least two years.    Mathews to ARI is the deal id consider.   They only have him for four seasons ... and it’s doubtful they will be able to navigate Covid cap issues during that window well.   

• Cheers 1

On 8/25/2020 at 5:46 PM, 189lb enforcers? said:

Awesome for Pittsburgh!

Fire that f@#$&*% Dumbass GM in Toronto. 

The one of a handful of players who would go through the wall, and he trades him???

This is Oilers level bad management, not necessarily this one move, but the lack thereof plus all the rest. 

That franchise was gifted all the assets they’d ever need via the lottery, yet they couldn’t build a team by wheeling and dealing AM or one of them to balance out that top-heavy circus. 

Their biggest mistakes is turning out to be signing Tavares and then of course their ridiculous third contract type deals to their superstars.   They’d be much better off instead having the money to go after AP this offseason.   And keeping Kapanen plus adding a Tanev/Muzzin type to that dreadful defense.   Until they manage to trade one of their three top heavy guys they won’t have the money for the quality depth they need.    At least Dubas keeps the rest of us entertained.   

They have four more years with AM.   He’s the guy I’d try and move.   Teams would line up if they could afford him given his marketability.  He’s undeniably one of the best goal scorers of his generation and one of the best all-time GPG at his age (not peaked yet).  Big guy plays center etc.  OEL or Werenksi or Dumba or Parayoko plus a butt ton of picks to boost the teams fortunes later.    It would allow them to add a Tanev type too and completely transform their defense.   They are stuck with Tavares, not a bad thing it could be a lot worse.   Trading Kapanen won’t fix anything.  They need a titanic level deal and they have the guy to do that with. 

Don’t know why Andersson is on the block.  He’s not the reason they can’t win a round.    Dubas is creating a legacy of hilarity for us Canuck fans.   Remember when a lot were saying “do it the TO or way - burn it down to the ashes” etc..things don’t look so good now that time has passed and we have more perspective. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/nhl/4-questions-maple-leafs-need-to-answer-after-kapanen-trade/ar-BB18ymaO

Now, Dubas has a full offseason to leave his fingerprints on the team

Prediction: All four players remain in Toronto. [Marner, Matthews, Tavares, Nylandder]

Prediction: Johnsson will be traded, Kerfoot will be traded [for picks]

Prediction: Maple Leafs sign Brodie

Prediction: Andersen plays out the final year of his contract.

Rest assured Leafsville -  now that Dubas has a whole offseason :unsure:to put "leave" his fingerprints on the team....interesting choice of word.

Edited by oldnews

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Their biggest mistakes is turning out to be signing Tavares and then of course their ridiculous third contract type deals to their superstars.   They’d be much better off instead having the money to go after AP this offseason.   And keeping Kapanen plus adding a Tanev/Muzzin type to that dreadful defense.   Until they manage to trade one of their three top heavy guys they won’t have the money for the quality depth they need.    At least Dubas keeps the rest of us entertained.   

They have four more years with AM.   He’s the guy I’d try and move.   Teams would line up if they could afford him given his marketability.  He’s undeniably one of the best goal scorers of his generation and one of the best all-time GPG at his age (not peaked yet).  Big guy plays center etc.  OEL or Werenksi or Dumba or Parayoko plus a butt ton of picks to boost the teams fortunes later.    It would allow them to add a Tanev type too and completely transform their defense.   They are stuck with Tavares, not a bad thing it could be a lot worse.   Trading Kapanen won’t fix anything.  They need a titanic level deal and they have the guy to do that with. 

Don’t know why Andersson is on the block.  He’s not the reason they can’t win a round.    Dubas is creating a legacy of hilarity for us Canuck fans.   Remember when a lot were saying “do it the TO or way - burn it down to the ashes” etc..things don’t look so good now that time has passed and we have more perspective. 

Friedman in his 31 thoughts writes: "The Carolina Hurricanes have interest in Frederik Andersen, but Toronto’s made it clear it has no desire to make a move just for the sake of change. If it happens, it’s for an upgrade, which means the Maple Leafs could wait to see how a loaded group of goaltending free agents shakes out."

Toronto has invested considerable sums in analytics.  Per Mirtle at the time - once they signed Babcock they knew the system they'd want to play and set out to identify goalies who would fit his system based on the type of shots they will likely be allowing.  They've changed coach.  

Andersen is a UFA in a year.  There are different tracking companies out there and they might have identified goalies that could be an upgrade.  

Sportlogiq's tracking technology for example, has Andersen performing very slightly below expectation based on the type of shots faced.  They show that Markstrom and Lehner are two of the very best goalies in the league saving their teams about 1 goal every 2 games.  They do well under a difficult defensive environment (Lehner started the season in Chicago).  Both happen to be UFAs.

• Cheers 1

On 8/27/2020 at 11:15 AM, mll said:

Mirtle says for now they are not looking to move Nylander.  They have other players on the trade block:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/2009452

The Leafs have been dangling four names in recent trade talks, with starting netminder Frederik Andersen highlighting a group that also includes forwards Andreas Johnsson, Pierre Engvall, and Alex Kerfoot, multiple NHL clubs confirmed to The Athletic's James Mirtle.

That’s a guy I wouldn’t mind Canucks trading for. We need more size in the bottom-6, and he’s signed for 2 years at a very manageable $1.25M. He was one of the few depth guys for Toronto who played well against Columbus.