The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How do we keep this group together? Who stays and who goes?

It’s really starting to look like the Canucks are going to be a legit championship contender in the next few years. They’ve hung with some very good teams in these playoffs and looked excellent in several games.

Obviously EP, Hughes and Horvat are essential. Are we able to keep both Toffoli and Boeser? What about guys like Pearson, Motte and Virtanen?

On the back end, do they wait for OJ to keep developing? How long will Edler and Tanev stay? Who should they add?

in net, do they pay Markstrom? He seems pretty important to the team. Demko?

I don’t know much about this flat salary cap and what exactly that entails. Could someone in the know please enlighten me?

The only way this team stays together is if they take discounts to stay here.  And I am not saying they should.  They should try and get paid as much as they can.  They've earned it.

The trouble with a flat cap is that the amount of available cap space will not be going up for at least a couple of years.  That means no extra cap space to give raises to guys when their contracts expire.  For example, Petey's cap hit is $925,000 for one more year.  After that year, he will probably get a raise to take him to $10M+.  We are already at the cap and the cap is not going up.

So where do you save $9M in cap space?  Edler's $6M deal runs out at that time.  Maybe you can trade Eriksson by that point as he will only have one more year on his deal, so there's another $6M you can save.  Although you will have to replace both of those with someone else.  Hopefully guys like Rathbone and Podkolzin will work out as they will still be on affordable entry-level deals.

OK, so maybe we can squeeze out enough there to afford Petey's cap space.  But wait, Hughes' deal is up at the same time.  How much will his deal be?

And don't forget, we still have two more years of Luongo's cap recapture penalty weighing us down to the tune of over $3M per year.

Some guys will have to go to make room for cheaper guys.  I will be interesting to see how they make that work over the next few years.

One thing is becoming perfectly clear - first you re-sign Markstrom - then evaluate your cap situation and go from there.  

He's the #1 priority right now for this team, everything else comes second. 

• Thanks 3
  • Cheers 1

I'm a little concerned that his group has a very short window to win together. Not saying that Benning won't configure the roster and make changes, maybe they win down the road, but I really love this group right now. Pettersson with Toffoli and Pearson is great. And Bo deserves top notch wingers. The D could use an upgrade, but how do they manage that? 

It all comes down to Loui.  Get rid of him and everything else moves into place.  Francesco knows this which is why he made a phone call to Sicily last night after the game.  

Loui may be disappearing for awhile.  Can someone who doesn't physically show up to camp for the next two years be put on LTIR?  Asking for a friend...

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Keep on drafting like they have been, & this baby keeps rolling like an early evenin', conveyor sushi joint.

Recycle some sweet pieces into more picks.

Don't obsess over the destination, just enjoy the ride.

That’s unrealistic. Not only is the draft a roll of the dice. But Vancouvers young stars were all top 10 picks (with the exception of Boeser). As the team improves the number of high end prospects coming through the system will decrease.  You’ll still get the odd gem, but by in large Vancouver has probably picked it last superstar for quite awhile. 

15 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

That’s unrealistic. Not only is the draft a roll of the dice. But Vancouvers young stars were all top 10 picks (with the exception of Boeser). As the team improves the number of high end prospects coming through the system will decrease.  You’ll still get the odd gem, but by in large Vancouver has probably picked it last superstar for quite awhile. 

You're arguing about the barn door, after the stallions have long bolted. Might it be jealousy, as your Habs(although putting on a solid showing) don't have half the elite skill with their youth?

Also notice you speak quite strongly against our young pieces(proposals on HF) quite frequently. You should perhaps relax about the Habbies, it ain't the late 70's dominance anymore.

If you're posting on CDC, why throw cold water on folks' exuberance? What we've seen thus far is pretty darn rare & inspiring!

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

^ this. 

thats the lynch pin. Solve that and the rest of it is very doable. 

If Francesco's Sicilian contact doesn't come through then we may have to sacrifice Demko as a sweetener.  It's probably the only way if we want to keep Marky, Tanev and Toffoli...

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

If Francesco's Sicilian contact doesn't come through then we may have to sacrifice Demko as a sweetener.  It's probably the only way if we want to keep Marky, Tanev and Toffoli...

I think they're from the north. They'll have to find another way. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

You're arguing about the barn door, after the stallions have long bolted. Might it be jealousy, as your Habs(although putting on a solid showing) don't have half the elite skill with their youth?

Also notice you speak quite strongly against our young pieces(proposals on HF) quite frequently. You should perhaps relax about the Habbies, it ain't the late 70's dominance anymore.

If you're posting on CDC, why throw cold water on folks' exuberance? What we've seen thus far is pretty darn rare & inspiring!

I just called Vancouvers young talent superstars.  Just relax. This was actually a compliment to Vancouver.  They’re an improving team and their days of drafting in the top 10 is probably behind them for awhile.  How you can take this as an attack us beyond me. 

4 minutes ago, runtzguy said:

Trade 1st rounder to get rid of LE

So you want the team to have lost 2 firsts and a 2nd over the next two drafts in an era where draft capital is the most important asset a team can have? 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Fanuck said:

So you want the team to have lost 2 firsts and a 2nd over the next two drafts in an era where draft capital is the most important asset a team can have? 

it might be the price of creating the new window, which has opened early. 

I don't consider the Miller 1st "lost" that was a great trade. With the potential of at least one of Rathbone, Podkolzin and Hoglander making the team we can afford to lose the 2021 1st if it means we lock up Toffoili on a deal under 6 mil per season. 

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

horrible, horrible idea

Not necessarily.  If its more important to the management group to keep key pieces like Tanev, Markstrom and Toffoli together than to get a late first round pick then that's the price that might need to be paid.  I don't like giving up first round picks either but sometimes that's the price that needs to be paid to get rid of a contract like LE.

If not a first rounder, might have to give up a B level prospect just to get rid of Loui.