The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

5 minutes ago, FireGillis said:

The cap hit is scary. Petey and Hughes are due for 10m+ each unless they take home town discounts. 

The only kids that got those contracts were from Toronto cause Dubas is synonymous with dumbass, McJesus and Eichel deserve their 10mil+ cause they carry their franchises on their backs. Matthew Tkachuk got 7mil, Sebastian Aho got 8.5m and Leon Draisaitl got 8.5m. Aaron Ekblad and Thomas Chabot got 7.5m and 8m respectively. Those should be the real numbers for Petey and Hughes, and some of those players are on Canadian teams so don't give me that lower tax nonsense. Not those bloated messes of contracts Toronto handed out. Rantanen is a bit high as well at 9.25m, but that's likely as high as I can see Petey getting. Hughes if we're smart is at or slightly above the Chabot contract (8milx8 years).

If we're being honest the Hughes and Pettersson contracts should be in the 8-9m range, on long term deals. Could maybe argue for Petey to get closer to 9.5m if he hits 80+ points 30+ goals like Rantanen has done before he signed his contract. He hit those totals in back to back seasons before signing his deal. I really don't see our kids getting 10+ mil. Even Kucherov didn't get that. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

The only kids that got those contracts were from Toronto cause Dubas is synonymous with dumbass, McJesus and Eichel deserve their 10mil+ cause they carry their franchises on their backs. Matthew Tkachuk got 7mil, Sebastian Aho got 8.5m and Leon Draisaitl got 8.5m. Aaron Ekblad and Thomas Chabot got 7.5m and 8m respectively. Those should be the real numbers for Petey and Hughes, and some of those players are on Canadian teams so don't give me that lower tax nonsense. Not those bloated messes of contracts Toronto handed out. Rantanen is a bit high as well at 9.25m, but that's likely as high as I can see Petey getting. Hughes if we're smart is at or slightly above the Chabot contract (8milx8 years).

If we're being honest the Hughes and Pettersson contracts should be in the 8-9m range, on long term deals. Could maybe argue for Petey to get closer to 9.5m if he hits 80+ points 30+ goals like Rantanen has done before he signed his contract. He hit those totals in back to back seasons before signing his deal. I really don't see our kids getting 10+ mil. Even Kucherov didn't get that. 

Hard to make a case for Petey to make more than Draisaitl if we're being honest $20mil+ for both Petey and Hughes is a stretch at best probably will be more accurately around 15-17 for both. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think Petey is better than Eichel. For all of his points, Buffalo is still a tire fire with Eichel. Vancouver was similar to Buffalo, but Petey and Hughes instantly changed them and have made the canucks winners now. They're both more valuable than Eichel to me. I do think they're our Matthews/Marner, so anything less than those contracts, I would consider a home town discount. I think Montreal screwed up with that lowball contract to Aho, which Carolina didn't think twice about matching. I think Aho undersold himself accepting that offer sheet and should have gotten a bigger contract. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Weird how regression looks like consistent point totals and improved defensive play and +/- numbers 

As annoying as the constant Boeser trade proposals are, it does speak to the fact that most people on this board do realize that a young, top 6 forward on a good contract has a ton of value. He may not be the best player on the team, but he's still a damn good hockey player. It sucks that he seems to have lost that wicked wrist shot he had in his rookie season, but it speaks to the quality of player he is that he's still able to consistently net points despite the setbacks his injury cause. He's also become quite strong on the puck, which again, is a testament to the quality of player he is.

People can say "So and so would net just as many points if they had they same opportunity", and yet nobody has. Toff had one really good game in the playoffs and was invisible the rest of the time and Virtanen has been about as consistent as most politicians are honest. Either $&!# or get off the pot. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Hard to make a case for Petey to make more than Draisaitl if we're being honest $20mil+ for both Petey and Hughes is a stretch at best probably will be more accurately around 15-17 for both. 

You can't use the draisaitl contract as a comparable. At the time people thought it was an overpayment and now he outplayed that contract, so he's underpaid now. It would be like saying Petey shouldn't make more than Mackinnon. Contracts like that aren't comparable for players today. 

3 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

We kind of, sort of, do have the assets for it. Love Brock though but oh my goodness. Easily the best blue line in the league.

Cap wise we'd be &^@#ed I think but what do I know

it could work if we trade Myers as part of the package...

Boeser + Myers + for Ekblad + Tippett

Florida gets a Hoffman replacement in Boeser and Myers can be like a low budget Ekblad lol.

--

Eriksson + Virtanen + Juolevi + Stecher (rights) for OEL

Miller - Pettersson - Podkolzin

Hoglander - Horvat - Toffolli

Pearson - Gaudette - Motte

Lockwood - Beagle - MacEwen

Hughes - Ekblad <-- elite

Edler - Ekman-Larsson <-- shutdown pair

Rathbone  - Rafferty <-- puck moving bottom pairing

Demko

Talbot

B)

23 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Boeser + for Ekblad...

JV OJ LE + for OEL...

hmmmm................

:emot-parrot:

Keep Boeser/ sign Pietrangelo 

21 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

Oh my God could you imagine... :lol:

Miller Pettersson Boeser 

Pearson Horvat Tofu 

Roussel Gaudette Macewan 

Motte Beagle Sutter 

Hughes Pietrangelo 

Edler OEL 

Dhillion Myers

Benn Rafferty

Demko

Lundqvist

Ka-Sploosh

1 minute ago, FireGillis said:

You can't use the draisaitl contract as a comparable. At the time people thought it was an overpayment and now he outplayed that contract, so he's underpaid now. It would be like saying Petey shouldn't make more than Mackinnon. Contracts like that aren't comparable for players today. 

Draisaitl has never been considered an overpayment what are you on about? He was nearly a ppg player on an awful team in year one and followed with 105 points in year 2 of the deal. 

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Draisaitl has never been considered an overpayment what are you on about? He was nearly a ppg player on an awful team in year one and followed with 105 points in year 2 of the deal. 

Huh? Are you forgetting the narrative around that contract? It was widely considered an overpayment and people thought draisaitl took Chiarelli to the cleaners. 

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/leon-draisaitl-contract-blasted-as-an-overpay-says-tsns-ray-ferraro-hmm

https://sports.yahoo.com/leon-draisaitl-deal-another-overpayment-oilers-gm-potentially-good-one-191357845.html

https://theathletic.com/102171/2017/09/14/willis-david-pastrnaks-new-deal-makes-it-clear-the-oilers-overpaid-leon-draisaitl?source=user-shared-article

Edited by FireGillis

1 minute ago, FireGillis said:

Huh? Are you forgetting the narrative around that contract? It was widely considered an overpayment and people thought draisaitl took Chiarelli to the cleaners. 

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/leon-draisaitl-contract-blasted-as-an-overpay-says-tsns-ray-ferraro-hmm

Lol Ferraro has never overreacted about anything. And wrong again as usual. 

42 minutes ago, Johnny Torts said:

Boeser + for Ekblad...

JV OJ LE + for OEL...

hmmmm................

:emot-parrot:

Haha that would be amazing.  No chance but imagine if it was possible.  Top four of:

Ekman-Larsson Ekblad (EK^2)

Hughes Myers

it would be laughably good.

• Vintage 1