The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

1 hour ago, J-P said:

Not after signing QH and EP... Still think OEL can be fitted in though and agree the cap situation long term is not as bad as some seem to think.

Do you not see the $40 million in cap space starting in 2021-2022?

$40 million is not enough to resign two superstar players at $8 million each as a rough estimate ?

4 hours ago, .Naslund said:

I don't get the people worried about losing Rathbone or Juolevi.  OEL is like the end product of what you'd hope for any of those guys to be, if its possible, why not trade them straight up for the end product and call it a day. 

That is a good point.

Our window is now while Petey and Hughes are on ELCs

3 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

That is a good point.

Our window is now while Petey and Hughes are on ELCs

actually looking at the way the cap is structured on the team, I belive management sees our window not as now, but in a couple of years when the next wave of defence and forwards his ELCs  - Ie Rathbone, Hog,Pod etc, with  QH and EP as young stars

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, .Naslund said:

I don't get the people worried about losing Rathbone or Juolevi.  OEL is like the end product of what you'd hope for any of those guys to be, if its possible, why not trade them straight up for the end product and call it a day. 

Right now he is. Can he carry this level of play for the next 7 seasons? He carrys an 8.25m cap hit through those 7 years so we better be sure if we do make the move. Not to mention he has a straight up nmc so theres expansion draft implications too. 

I'm not saying I dont want him. I'm just saying theres more to the story than value in vs value out. I want to see the canucks win a cup before I die. Our window is opening right now. I dont want to slam it shut with more bad contracts ala Toronto. I want to build from within ala colorado.

20 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

$40 million is not enough to resign two superstar players at $8 million each as a rough estimate ?

That’s fair but you’re also not taking into account the players that are still unsigned. 40mil of free cap space but as presently constructed you’re missing about 13 roster players. 8M Petey, 8M Quinn, 8.25M OEL, 5.5M Marky. You look at it like this you’re left with 10M to sign approx 8-9 more skaters

Miller - Pettersson- Boeser

XXX - Horvat - XXX

Ferland - XXX - Roussel

MacEwen - Beagle - XXX

(Eriksson)

Hughes - Myers

OEL - XXX
Rathbone - XXX

(2 Extra Skaters)

Markstrom

XXX

Edited by freshhprince95

4 minutes ago, freshhprince95 said:

That’s fair but you’re also not taking into account the players that are still unsigned. 40mil of free cap space but as presently constructed you’re missing about 13 roster players. 8M Petey, 8M Quinn, 8.25M OEL, 5.5M Marky. You look at it like this you’re left with 10M to sign approx 8-9 more skaters

Miller - Pettersson- Boeser

XXX - Horvat - XXX

Ferland - XXX - Roussel

MacEwen - Beagle - XXX

Eriksson

Hughes - Myers

OEL - XXX
Rathbone - XXX

Markstrom

XXX

If the Canucks can make it work with LE, Beagle, Sutter and Rousell contracts and get OEL or and resign Toffoli then 2021-2022 cap will be a cake walk.

Edited by IjustNEEDaTROYgamble

12 hours ago, Shirotashi said:

10-11 million dollar contracts are the Toronto model. We see where that is taking them. If you look at the past 10 

years Stanley Cup winners there are VERY FEW contracts in that range. Hughes I would MAYBE pay 8-10 million.

Still want to see more from Pettersson but I see him 6-8 million. Dont just go throwing around the 10-11 million number. 

lol so Hughes is worth 8-10mil but Pettersson is only worth 6-8? 

9 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

Ferlands agent said he intends to keep playing?  For real?  Dude needs to think about his long term health at this point.

Yea when JB went to meet with him he agent said something like Ferland isn't planning to retire and plans to continue playing hockey.

The same fanbase that has NEVER had a legit 1D until Huggie are now complaining about possibly giving up an unproven/unknown prospect in one of JB or OJ lol. While OEL is not necessarily in his prime, he is still a top 10 dman in the league with top 3 passing ability and the ability to PK. I bet JB and OJ combined cannot even reach that ceiling.  

1 hour ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

There is the $14M in cap space this year which we will almost certainly spend so that $40 is likely closer to $28M. Now you add signing EP and QH and filling out the roster becomes difficult. Just the potential ELCs for Podz and Hog would be hard to fit. 
that doesn’t include OEL at 8.25. 

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

There is the $14M in cap space this year which we will almost certainly spend so that $40 is likely closer to $28M. Now you add signing EP and QH and filling out the roster becomes difficult. Just the potential ELCs for Podz and Hog would be hard to fit. 

Loui will be bought out if he's still here, so thats another 2.5. Hoglander, Podkolzon, Rathbone on ELCs. Juolevi on a bridge. There's a lot of young cheap talent coming.

So the 28 is a bit tight but its possible to ice a pretty exciting younger-leaning lineup in two seasons. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

Loui will be bought out if he's still here, so thats another 2.5. Hoglander, Podkolzon, Rathbone on ELCs. Juolevi on a bridge. There's a lot of young cheap talent coming.

So the 28 is a bit tight but its possible to ice a pretty exciting younger-leaning lineup in two seasons. 

2M.  A buyout next year is a 4M cap hit followed by a year at 1M.  

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Loui is the worst buyout candidate because you don't actually get any savings due to his bonuses that count against the cap. As you suggested Baertschi might be a better candidate.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Loui is the worst buyout candidate because you don't actually get any savings due to his bonuses that count against the cap. As you suggested Baertschi might be a better candidate.

for this year, at least in Loui's final year as mll pointed out there's a 2 mil savings at least. You'd think Loui would want to terminate, if he chooses to wait he'll have not played in over a year and be out there trying to look for a job. Good luck. 

I do think Jim will try to move Baer for anything today, probably unsuccessfully, and we'll see Baer bought out tomorrow. 

No one is a very good buyout candidate.

If you take away what you would save if they were buried in the minors or the cost of replacing them on the roster, then you save basically nothing.

You can save a (very) little in the short term, but that comes at a cost of having penalties in years where we also won’t have cap space after re-signing Hughes and Petterson.

Even Baertschi loses you more cap space overalL than just burying him in the minors.  You just get to spread more dead cap hit over two years instead.

Far better off doing a retained salary trade... then you don’t get the penalty.

Edited by Provost

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

There's this coming season's bonus overage to account for too so 26M if not less.  

Pettersson and Hughes are most certainly going to hit 1.7M again.  If Ferland goes on LTIR then all the bonuses automatically carry over - Rathbone, Juolevi could reach some targets too and probably have games played bonuses also.  Pettersson could hit an additional 2M too - needs to be a top-10 producer in the league in either goals, assists, points or points per game. 

I have a feeling Markstrom is going to walk, because he won't get term in VAN, or necessarily be the clear starter. They would need to bring in a solid veteran backup.

I think Benning might re-sign Tanev and trade for OEL, to give VAN one of the best Ds in the league. Without a good, mobile D, a team isn't going to do much, especially in the playoffs. They'll also need much better D if Demko is taking over as the starter.

Ekman-Larsson - Myers

Hughes - Tanev

Edler - Rafferty

Benn

Chatfield

Rathbone

I also think he circles back and re-signs Toffoli.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Provost said:

No one is a very good buyout candidate.

If you take away what you would save if they were buried in the minors or the cost of replacing them on the roster, then you save basically nothing.

You can save a (very) little in the short term, but that comes at a cost of having penalties in years where we also won’t have cap space after re-signing Hughes and Petterson.

Even Baertschi loses you more cap space overalL than just burying him in the minors.  You just get to spread more dead cap hit over two years instead.

Far better off doing a retained salary trade... then you don’t get the penalty.

The buyout is a gamble. If you remove Sutter from the roster, you save 2.33 mill, but then you might have to put someone like Graovac and/or Gaudette who may not be ready to take on that role. Alternatively, you could promote Beagle and put the above two on line four. Every million saved means something. And if you're trading away other people, you could save even more. We do have players who can fill in, but the question remains, are they good enough to stay there? If not, we will have exactly the situation you described.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Provost said:

I'm sure Jim is trying to move Baer 50% retained for anything today. But given the market I doubt he's even worth that to anyone. We'll see. 

The spreading out of cap might be something they need to do, its a buyout for cash flow reasons 

• Like 1