The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

It's not really splitting hairs because it's actually written in the rules. But it is a good idea for the mods to look at it.

Anywayyyyys, OEL. He could be good for Vancouver short term but I hesitate about him long term

OEL is a dman I see being a #1-2 guy well into his mid-30's.  He plays a smart game, efficient with his movement and doesn't take a lot of big hits.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

source aside for a moment, it is a pretty interesting idea if there's a team out there (Detroit?) willing to take 1/3 of OELs salary for a 2nd round pick. That really makes this a potentially great deal if Jim can pull it off. 

But.. if any truth to it that could mean another draft with no 1st of 2nd rounder.... eep. 

14 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Seems extremely unlikely. 1/3 of is contract is 7 years at $2.7m a year.  A GM would be nuts to waste money and cap space on a deal like  that for a 2nd 

I believe the discussion was around a 2nd AND a young player/prospect.

Still a lot to ask for your own personal Luongo cap recapture for 7 years but it's at least more than 'just a 2nd'.

12 hours ago, IRR said:

You'd have to think Benning must be as close to certain as you can get that this deal will come to fruition to put all other things on the side burner / risk other things.

At some point, if a deal can't be done we might just need to let it go. We have a lot of stuff to resolve, and this OEL saga is really putting a hold of things.

Acquiring OEL isn't just about adding a top defenseman, it's our chance to swiftly move a lot of cap dumps. 

Then again, Arizona has all the pressure, and we don't.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I believe the discussion was around a 2nd AND a young player/prospect.

Still a lot to ask for your own personal Luongo cap recapture for 7 years but it's at least more than 'just a 2nd'.

but OEL at 5.5 AAV. Holy crackers that would be a nice fit. 

So just on pure speculation / $&!#s and giggle:

2021 2nd and Lind to Detroit for 1/3 of OELs salary

2021 1st, Juolevi, Sutter to AZ

Is that a deal you do? 

So, i just wanted to share some info (speculation) because it was a interesting thought and i thought it would be a fun discussion. I apologize that it brought drama to the thread because a certain someone didn't like how i did it. Now i know it needs more clarification (Thanks Dazzle). It wasn't my intent for that to happen. It kind of put a damper on the morning unfortunately. Enjoy the morning / discussion everyone and i'll pop in here and there to see if there's any big news. Cheers! 

Edited by IRR
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Robert Long said:

Is that a deal you do? 

Make them take Baertschi while we are at it. Detroit won't do that deal. Actually, I can't see anyone taking a part cap dump for that many years.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Is that a deal you do? 

Probably (though my coffee hasn't kicked in yet :bored:). I'd sure think on it.

I also doubt something like that is actually on the table :lol:

Do people think Detroit or any team would eat 33% salary of OEL for 7 years for ONLY a 2nd round pick....give your head a shake people that is never going to happen.

What is more plausible is a 3rd team retaining salary in a Canucks player like LE, Sven, Sutter or Rooster and flipping that player to Arizona  for a pick and or a prospect

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

source aside for a moment, it is a pretty interesting idea if there's a team out there (Detroit?) willing to take 1/3 of OELs salary for a 2nd round pick. That really makes this a potentially great deal if Jim can pull it off. 

But.. if any truth to it that could mean another draft with no 1st of 2nd rounder.... eep. 

He is still owed 52M.   It's not very realistic that a team would pay 17.3M for a 2nd round pick.