The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Arizona/OEL

mll

3 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

Good Defenseman and would be great for the next 1-3 years imo but worry about him after that. Being stuck with that cap is going to be a living hell with his no trade clause. 

Imagine having to say to Hughes, Elias, Brock, Bo and company,  Sorry we can't offer you the money your worth on your next contract because we tied up 8.5 million in OEL. I know you guys are young, great players entering your prime but we decided to give it to a 30 year old defenseman whose production is starting to decline.

There has to be salary retention for it to work.

Possibly a 3rd team involved 

1 hour ago, CanuckGAME said:

Probably because if we trade with Arizona they will take some of our crippling contracts back with them, plus potentially taking a % of the salary,   thus creating room for that 8 million dollar deal

True.  But they're not interested in picking up all of our expensive scraps.

Just now, NHL97OneTimer said:

True.  But they're not interested in picking up all of our expensive scraps.

Why not?  They have a cap floor they need to meet.

A guy like Louie Eriksson who takes up 6 million cap space but is only owed a cpl million in real dollars next year would be pretty attractive i would think.

3 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Why not?  They have a cap floor they need to meet.

A guy like Louie Eriksson who takes up 6 million cap space but is only owed a cpl million in real dollars next year would be pretty attractive i would think.

They don’t have much cap space this year.  They can worry about the floor next year 

6 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

There has to be salary retention for it to work.

Possibly a 3rd team involved 

I get that there should be some salary retention and that we'll send back a bad contract, however our bad contracts are done in the next year or two. We'd still have a boat anchor of a contract/cap hit with OEL for 5-6 years our bad contracts expired though. 

IMO it seems as though money's gonna be tight the next season or 3. It also appears that more and more players are viewing Vancouver as a contender and preferred destination. I think we should make smaller impactful trades and take our lumps (with the bad contracts we signed) as opposed to taking on other teams bad decisions with longer term.

I keep hearing experts saying that top Defenseman don't come available...however this year there's OEL, Krug and AP. In the past Suter was available, Weber, Suban and so on. With cap constraints on all teams I think there's going to be more and more coming available, not to mention UFA's next season. 

Just my 2 cents. 

14 minutes ago, Blitz-Pix said:

I keep hearing experts saying that top Defenseman don't come available...however this year there's OEL, Krug and AP. In the past Suter was available, Weber, Suban and so on. With cap constraints on all teams I think there's going to be more and more coming available, not to mention UFA's next season. 

Just my 2 cents. 

Yeah, I'd much rather go for a UFA like David Savard next off-season.  If we got the cap space, we'll be able to pry away another top 4 d-man soon.  Hell I'd rather roll the dice with Tyson Barrie for less money. 

4 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

The trade wouldn't be to dump Eriksson.  It would be to aquire a legit top pairing Dman.

Demko could easily not do too well in those 35-40 games,  or get injured,  or teams will know were backed into a corner and HAVE to move one of Demko or Markstrom or risk losing one for nothing to Seattle in the expansion draft.

This is why moving him now after his sensational 3 games in the playoffs is a fairly smart decision.

If they can get Markstrom done I wouldn't be totally against moving Demko in this. Your going to have to make a decision at some point, and Demko's value is at its highest.

Obviously can't move him until Markstroms deal is done. And I would want a 'premium' in salary going back, but if that's what it takes AND you get out of bad contracts, our team is undeniably alot better.

Going through twitter...the general consensus seems to be more or less this...dont know much about this guy:

Out of the three that he mentions I think Hogz is the guy i would put up in the trade.  Might not be a popular opinion but when I look at his DB his numbers dont scream top 6 savior to me....he might be the odd man out here....certainly worth the gamble for a franchise calibre d man.

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

Going through twitter...the general consensus seems to be more or less this...dont know much about this guy:

Out of the three that he mentions I think Hogz is the guy i would put up in the trade.  Might not be a popular opinion but when I look at his DB his numbers dont scream top 6 savior to me....he might be the odd man out here....certainly worth the gamble for a franchise calibre d man.

No. Lind not hogs. How dare you :lol:

I kid. Don't trade that kid seriously.

It would be down to Hog/Demko for me. Like I said if you get Markstrom done then why not move Demko? His path is blocked at that point anyways. 

If Eriksson & Sutter/Baertschi go the other way - your more than breaking even. Demko, Jake, a non-Hog/Pod prospect & a 2nd. They get a 2 young roster players including a potential starting/elite goalie, a prospect & a 2nd rounder. In this new cap situation OEL's contract is such an anchor & he's only getting older. Its not going to be an A+ return with that contract.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

6 minutes ago, Darius said:

If neither of those guys are included in this trade, it makes me wonder what of value already IS included and I keep leaning towards Boeser.... I kind of don't think Arizona says yes to moving OEL without getting SOMETHING of value. Especially after losing Taylor Hall.

1 minute ago, Noseforthenet said:

If neither of those guys are included in this trade, it makes me wonder what of value already IS included and I keep leaning towards Boeser.... I kind of don't think Arizona says yes to moving OEL without getting SOMETHING of value. Especially after losing Taylor Hall.

The whole not wanting to pay big $$ and boeser is owed pretty big money. 

Just now, Noseforthenet said:

They will accept what we or Boston offer them. Virtanen has better potential then studnica. We have zero reason to pay that. Let's See if Pietro is interested at similar money.