The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 30, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

1 hour ago, Devron44 said:

MacEwen is the only player that really has potential to play a heavy game. The rest can play a hard game sure but we are trying to ice the best team possible. Throwing rookies in is just stupid 

A little bit inconsistent in your position. - some are no more rookie than Hughes .......

Hughes, age 20: 73 NHL games prior to post-season

Graovac, age 27: 70 NHL games

Bailey, age 25: 65 NHL games

MacEwen, age 24: 21 NHL games

Brisebois, age 23: 8 NHL games

But, yes,  either Chatfield and Juolevi haven't yet played an NHL game during the season

Edited by Googlie

They say the 4th win is the hardest to get, so hopefully that's true for Vegas. 

What I saw is Vegas with a ton of moxy and swagger. VAN not so much. Quinn Hughes has a fear in his eyes, like he's under constant overwhelming attack. Yet, he can still find a way to make nice plays. That hit from Reaves didn't look too good. Glad Hughes is okay. What's wrong with Miller and Boeser? Holy smokes, those guys struggled in this series. It is fantastic that the Canucks got this far, could end up being in the Final 6 before it's done. That's pretty great for a team that wasn't expected to do much.  

It ain't over yet, it's only Monday :bigblush:

• Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

He hits late and generally takes a run a good deal of the time.  That isn't "clean" to me.  

I should rephrase, he's a master at playing a heavy physical game but not crossing the line. He sometimes hits a little late but not late enough to be an obvious interference he takes runs sometimes but not enough to be an obvious charge.Yes he's not 100% clean but i wouldn't say he's dirty player either. 

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Reaves has thrown a few nasty blindsides - on Tom Wilson for example, but Wilson himself has his moments....

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/does-mcnabb-get-away-with-elbow-on-henrik/?row=2&row_id=1617589&xp=2529243&up=141

McNabb - throws his share of filthy hits - like this dirty blindside elbow on Sedin.

I'm just as concerned about what McNabb is likely to do - again, took a run at Boeser last night.

Yes that hit on Wilson was definitely a blindside and a tad late, but shoulder to shoulder at least and not a headshot like that dirtbag McNabb 

I've always hated McNabb ever since that hit and wished somebody would tune him up. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I realize there are only a few folks here with me on this, but....

I miss Gudbranson.

I'm with you here. Playoff Guddy was a beast. 

Undefeated in a Canucks uniform and can straight up erase guys with hits. 

- Made Tom Wilson look like a fool for challenging him. 

Edited by Ferlands_Head
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Slegr said:

I miss his edge, but I don’t miss his inability to defend (at least as a Canuck).

whatever that means = it's a one-liner.

Gudbranson - outstanding at preventing entries. very strong on the boards - won a ton of puck battles - deters people from parking in front of the net.

hits like a truck - players avoid him and often abandoned the puck to do so.

where he is arguably limited/needed work - were on his pivots - something Bieksa talked about in reference to McNabb last night - but Vegas makes due with that - and Gudbranson is a better skater than McNabb - much faster - and tougher.

With the current makeup - signing Myers - not neceesarily room for him - but would prefer him in there over Benn, for example - and we never really got to see what Gudbranson was capable of here - like Sutter he was frequently injured, and also saddled with Hutton in general - did not help.  Was excellent with Edler.

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, Googlie said:

A little bit inconsistent in your position. - some are no more rookie than Hughes .......

Hughes, age 20: 73 NHL games prior to post-season

Graovac, age 27: 70 NHL games

Bailey, age 25: 65 NHL games

MacEwen, age 24: 21 NHL games

Brisebois, age 23: 8 NHL games

But, yes,  either Chatfield and Juolevi haven't yet played an NHL game during the season

Hughes is an elite even generational player. There is no comparison 

Sorry I’m being blunt I know but point is none of those guys are going to have an impact over the guys we dressed. I know it’s disappointing losing but any coach is going to try and dress the best possible roster with what they have win or lose. Playoffs are also way different then regular season. I would be 100% on board dressing a OJ or Rafferty over vets. Graovac and Bailey are fringe nhls who serve a purpose when someone is injured. They are not going to provide some sort of spark to win a series

• Like 1

7 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'm really encouraged by what I'm seeing in this team.  

Imagine this team without players like Sutter, beagle, Erickson, Roussel. 

But insert players like hoglander and podkolzin developed 

We are going to be dynamite in about three years when we turn over some of our inaffective players. Not only that but guys like Pete and Hughes will be more developed. 

It will be fun taking out Vegas in four 

Yes, I think you have it.  One thing Vegas has shown us is that team speed lets you play a different kind of game.  Depth doesn't hurt either, and Hoglander and Podkolzin will provide that. Don't forget the D too: Rafferty and Rathbone look pretty good and Juolevi actually looks NHL ready (we saw him play in the NHL finally lol!) All five of these players have speed and look like they can make decisions quickly and in tight spaces.  Guys like Benn and Beagle are placeholders only, and when Edler is replaced by a speedier player the D will look more like Hughes's sort of team.  Not saying we have a dynasty, but it will be a much quicker, better rounded team.  Overpaying Beagle, Eriksson and Edler (relative to the young guns) will be I think a thing of the past.  And the timing couldn't be better: going to have to come up with some serious cash for Pettersson and Hughes, as we all know. 

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

It's the ride that never ends, been going around and around the track for 50 years. (hurl) 

Yes, It's been tough on a fan for sure over the years. I'm just enjoying this team and it's future too much at this moment to dwell on the past.

• Cheers 1

31 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

They say the 4th win is the hardest to get, so hopefully that's true for Vegas. 

What I saw is Vegas with a ton of moxy and swagger. VAN not so much. Quinn Hughes has a fear in his eyes, like he's under constant overwhelming attack. Yet, he can still find a way to make nice plays. That hit from Reaves didn't look too good. Glad Hughes is okay. What's wrong with Miller and Boeser? Holy smokes, those guys struggled in this series. It is fantastic that the Canucks got this far, could end up being in the Final 6 before it's done. That's pretty great for a team that wasn't expected to do much.  

It ain't over yet, it's only Monday :bigblush:

It's hard to believe that this team is made up of most of the team that couldn't hold a lead or win 3 games in a row just a year or two ago.  Their improvement, and our expectations for them are fantastic to see now.

21 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

Losing sucks but can't say this has been a bad season.  Canucks have reached or exceeded their goals for this year. 

Make playoffs - Check

Ease in Hughes - Over Achieved

Petterson no sophomore slump - Over Achieved

Miller - Over Achieved

Myers eating minutes (taking load of Edler and Tanev) - Check

Not give up a lotto pick - Check

New Captain - Over Achieved

Markstrom's Consistency - Check

Boeser Healthy - Check

Other positives: 

Virtanen continues development  

Juolevi is finally healthy and earned a spot in the bubble

Motte is a beast

Demko continues progress

McEwen & Lind looking close to NHL ready

Yes there's still work to be done but the kids have smashed our competitive window open and it's going to stay open for a LONG time.  That being said, it ain't over 'til it's over and the reason we watch sports is because anything can happen.  Don't count our boys out just yet.

If we can sign EP and Hughes to reasonable contracts, the window will remain open for many years.

Juolevi playing for Canucks is finally on the horizon. I wouldn't be surprised if our LD is Hughes-Edler-Juolevi starting next season.

We would need to infuse the bottom 6/middle 6 with speed and skill to compliment Virtanen, Gaudette, Motte, and MacEwen. We have many options coming up in Hoglander, Lind, Podkolzin, Lockwood, etc. 

RD needs bit more improvement I think. We have a promising yet unknown player in Rathbone. If he works out, then re-signing Tanev might be good enough.

Anyhow, too early to be thinking about the future. I think we are going to win tomorrow.

5 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If they win it all I'm gonna be sick. I'm basically on the anyone but Vegas train at this point. 

I hope Dallas or Colorado can knock em out so I can actually enjoy the final. 

Dallas is a good team. they'll give Vegas a run for their money. 

With that being said, even if they do get past Dallas, I can't see them getting passed Tampa Bay 

Lighting's too good. I'd even say better than Vegas

43 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I liked him too but getting Pearce for him was an amazing trade. Guddy struggled mightily here but do miss his big body back there 

I think he'd be beat constantly in this series against Vegas. 

• Upvote 1

Like most others here, I’ve really enjoyed and appreciated this postseason run by this iteration of the Canucks.  

I’m grateful that it allowed my dad and I to cheer on, and witness a Canucks series win (or two) again as you never know when these opportunities will come around again.  Grew up as a Canucks fan, and have fond memories of sitting on the floor between my dad’s legs as a child cheering on the Linden, Bure, and McLean teams.  My dad is approaching his 80s, and I’ve recently come off a cancer battle.  Canucks victories are some of the few things we can bond over, and not an insignificant part of what makes life still worth fighting for. 

So yeah, whatever happens the rest of this series (and hopefully beyond, this postseason), I’ve really loved this postseason as a Canucks fan.  

Edited by KO7
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1