The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vegas Golden Knights at Vancouver Canucks | Aug. 30, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-1

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

They say the 4th win is the hardest to get, so hopefully that's true for Vegas. 

What I saw is Vegas with a ton of moxy and swagger. VAN not so much. Quinn Hughes has a fear in his eyes, like he's under constant overwhelming attack. Yet, he can still find a way to make nice plays. That hit from Reaves didn't look too good. Glad Hughes is okay. What's wrong with Miller and Boeser? Holy smokes, those guys struggled in this series. It is fantastic that the Canucks got this far, could end up being in the Final 6 before it's done. That's pretty great for a team that wasn't expected to do much.  

It ain't over yet, it's only Monday :bigblush:

Miller had 3 assists last night, i saw his wrist was taped up so i am guessing he is injured

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, oldnews said:

every player effects the game.

fourth line can make a big difference / be the difference in a game.

fourth line should always be an area a team looks to improve -and  it doesn't take prime assets, so overlooking it is a real rookie GM error.

Cousins, Reaves, Carrier have 12 pts and are +9 in the playoffs

Might be a bit of a stretch but if we had their 4th line and they had ours, the series would be even at 2-2 and this series will go 7 games.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Reaves is irrelevant. He's going to be out of the league in a couple of years. 

And he's a bottom, fourth line player. The guy plays what, 9 min a game? pfft. doesn't affect the game. If the Canucks don't let his antics get to them, he's largely a ghost. 

Vegas has 4 effective lines and we don’t. Their 4th line plays way more minutes than ours. They have depth we can only dream of.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Green is so much better of a coach than Willie D. Willie was just a bad coach. I remember the 2015 playoffs against Calgary. He just continued to roll "four lines" - like WTF. This is postseason. Why aren't you playing your best players more minutes and give them more ice time? Wasn't surprised we lost there - coaching was bad, and well, the players were declining too (Sedins, etc). 

Green had our 4th line out with just over 5 minutes left and we were down by 2 

are you sure he is different? 

• Wat 1

11 minutes ago, khay said:

Might be a bit of a stretch but if we had their 4th line and they had ours, the series would be even at 2-2 and this series will go 7 games.

I love our 4th line.  And I think they play a more critical role for us than Vegas' could.

Vegas 4th line would not be a good fit for us.  Their 4th line isn't really a matchup/shutdown/hard minutes line.

Those guys get 58% range ozone starts - are there to soften up the oppositon's blueline.

Their top 6 kills their penalties, are two-way veterans - that the team does not tilt the ice for, creating opportunity for them.  Quite a different stage - and build - for their team.

Our 4th line is there to carry the heavy load - and provide opportunity for EP et al.

I think the Beagle - Motte combination has a far harder job than they do - get 30-35% ozone starts for example - and are our primary penalty killers.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

Vegas has 4 effective lines and we don’t. Their 4th line plays way more minutes than ours. They have depth we can only dream of.

Which proves that you don't need superstars to be good. If you can pick the 8th best forward off 18 teams, the 4th best defenseman off 8 teams, and 4 backup goalies who vie for starting times, you have a hell of a team.  Add in a few trades by an astute GM, and you could even be in the cup final first year of expansion.

Edited by Googlie
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

not true whatsoever.

Motte has been playing over 15 minutes a game

Beagle 13.  Sutter 15 (although I consider him "3rd line").

Reaves and Carrier are both under 10 minutes, Cousins 13/14.

And as I pointed out above, our 4th line plays far, far harder minutes. Our fourth line has scored as much in the playoffs as there's in spite of far harder situational use.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

not true whatsoever.

Motte has been playing over 15 minutes a game

Beagle 13.  Sutter 15 (although I consider him "3rd line").

Reaves and Carrier are both under 10 minutes, Cousins 13/14.

And as I said, our 4th line plays far, far harder minutes.

I'd love to see Reaves play more, he's a turnover machine. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, igorwasgreat said:

If we start making the playoffs consistently, Vegas will always be in our way , Vegas is to this team what Chicago was  to the last. Thankfully without the “ Chelsea Dagger”

or maybe Vancouver will be in vegas' way

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, clutesi said:

I'd love to see Reaves play more, he's a turnover machine. 

I'm not sure he has the puck enough - or attempts to playmake enough - to be a turnover machine.

He has 1 giveaway in the playoffs = 20th on Vegas.  10 players are in double digits.

Before you start defending Reaves' puck skills, I've definitely seen him mishandle the puck far more than once. Even when he's not under pressure. Not necessarily pure giveaways, but there's a reason he doesn't play more minutes. I'd also wager the players with more giveaways have a lot more ice time. Give him the same time on the ice then compare give aways.