The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Vancouver Canucks at Vegas Golden Knights | Sept. 01, 2020 | Golden Knights lead series 3-2

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

5 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I made this point back in the St Louis series, but if it were up to me, Benn would be playing instead of Stecher. Troy is game and has been playing well, but I don't like having two undersized defensemen against a team as big as the Golden Knights.

Benn does not have Stechers skating ability. Yes Benn is bigger but Stecher, when he does, can dangle into the O zone.

IMO The only issue I have with the D is speed on the back check. How many times has Benn been dusted by a fly by lol

We also  need to win those Board battles. And learn to read the board plays. So many times the puck gets rung around the boards only to be picked up by the opposition.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Marchessault is one of the keys to this team potentially taking this series.

Keep hitting him.  Keep messing with him.

He's a good target - a volatile hot head who doesn't have Perron's composure - he's susceptible to agitation - he has taken a handful of stupid penalties taking Vegas away from their strength - which is 5 on 5.

For me he's right below Theodore and Schmidt on the list of guys to hit every opportunity they get.

He had 14 ozone starts last night (87.5%) - and he wound up -1.  He will be frustrated.  The key is to build on that imo.

....and a stupid tweet or two....:lol:

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I made this point back in the St Louis series, but if it were up to me, Benn would be playing instead of Stecher. Troy is game and has been playing well, but I don't like having two undersized defensemen against a team as big as the Golden Knights.

Benn is way too slow relative to Stecher.  Benn also is challenged to make a first pass anywhere as near as consistent as Stecher.

I don't think the perceived gain in 'grit' is anywhere near worth the trade-off.

Myers brings a huge upgrade over Benn in his ability to handle and punish the Knights down low.

I think Stecher's mobility, puck retrieval, ability to transition imo are far more important than size - even against a team like Vegas - and Stecher battles at all times - I don't think he's been exposed at all.

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

Benn does not have Stechers skating ability. Yes Benn is bigger but Stecher, when he does, can dangle into the O zone.

IMO The only issue I have with the D is speed on the back check. How many times has Benn been dusted by a fly by lol

We also  need to win those Board battles. And learn to read the board plays. So many times the puck gets rung around the boards only to be picked up by the opposition.

We can agree to disagree on that. I thought JB played quite well when Myers was injured and I really liked the pairing with Fanta....

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Goal:thecup said:

Would someone please inform I-Mac that there is no eel in Elias?

I just tune him out every time I hear that "Eel-ee-us"; makes him sound less informed than he is.

There’s a recent vid (after game 4 I think) where Macintyre and a few others for Sportsnet are talking about the Canucks for the Youtube channel. He corrects the other guy for mispronouncing it “Uh-lie-us”, saying it’s “eel-ee-us”, but then says “but I’m not actually pronouncing it right either, I just can’t say “Eh-lee-us”.

I’m like “wtf iMac, you just did”...

So he knows, he’s just too Canadian?

• Haha 1

Just now, NUCKER67 said:

Canucks had no business winning this game, the shots were 43 to 17 !!! lol But again, they got incredible goaltending to save the day. Awesome game by Demmer. Looking forward to another game tomorrow night.

Yes they were outshot a lot but a lot of Vegas shots were right into the crest of Demko, a half competent goalie would eat that up all day.  That was partly down to the Canucks passive D which takes away high danger areas (which prior to playoffs and against minisota they were just haemorrhaging grade A chances) it means they give up shots from the perimeter and possession around the board, but make it difficult to get shots from the half boards, slot or in-front of the crease, or to get passes across the royal road. 

canucks using this system will always get outshot but it limits the quality of the shot. 

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Benn is way too slow relative to Stecher.  Benn also is challenged to make a first pass anywhere as near as consistent as Stecher.

I don't think the perceived gain in 'grit' is anywhere near worth the trade-off.

Myers brings a huge upgrade over Benn in his ability to handle and punish the Knights down low.

I think Stecher's mobility, puck retrieval, ability to transition imo are far more important than size - even against a team like Vegas - and Stecher battles at all times - I don't think he's been exposed at all.

As I said to DM we can agree to disagree on that, but I have to confess I'm a bit surprised at this from you....aren't you the one who's always pumping Gudbranson's tires? :unsure:

12 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Stecher had one really tough game against the Blues bit otherwise... He does something right when he is best defensewise in plus/minus. 

So why take him away? 

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

As I said to DM we can agree to disagree on that, but I have to confess I'm a bit surprised at this from you....aren't you the one who's always pumping Gudbranson's tires? :unsure:

Gudbranson is considerably faster than Benn, he's 10x as intimidating, he hits 5x as hard, he destroys people in open ice, he prevents entries at a very high level - he's under-rated and a player that was sandbagged multiples harder than Benn has ever been.

Benn lost his job - handily - to Fantenburg - who has been far, far better than him this year - and in the playoffs - brings everything Benn does with the addition of more snarl, far more mobility, and no contest in terms of their abilities to move the puck.

I have no criticisms of Benn's placeholding when Myers was injured - he did a good job, he tightened up the things that got him the press box this year - but imo he's 7/8 on the depth chart, and likely to continue to drop as Juolevi pushes him deeper next year.

• Vintage 1

The only bad thing about Demko in goal last game is that he should have been in one of the back to back games. 

Now it's a real tough decision wich goalie to go with... A rested Marky or a hot goalie that maybe is studied under microscope by Vegas now. 

This had been a non issue if Green had played his cards better. 

If Marky is injured my post is a non issue also. 

Just now, oldnews said:

Gudbranson is considerably faster than Benn, he's 10x as intimidating, he hits 5x as hard, he destroys people in open ice, he prevents entries at a very high level - he's under-rated and a player that was sandbagged multiples harder than Benn has ever been.

Benn lost his job - handily - to Fantenburg - who has been far, far better than him this year - and in the playoffs - brings everything Benn does with the addition of more snarl, far more mobility, and no contest in terms of their abilities to move the puck.

I have no criticisms of Benn's placeholding when Myers was injured - he did a good job, he tightened up the things that got him the press box this year - but imo he's 7/8 on the depth chart, and likely to continue to drop as Juolevi pushes him deeper next year.

For me it's a situational thing and not so much who is the "better player".

The Canucks are already getting pushed around. I'd rather see more size on defense. But that's just me, I suppose....

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

The only problem with Gudbranson was his contract (which unfortunately for the Canucks is a pretty salient issue).