The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Toffoli looking to stay with Canucks rather than becoming free agent [REPORT]

peaches5

Is TT fast enough for a consistent top 6 threat? WiIl Pearson still be a top 6 forward a a CUP contending team? Both players are young enough to fit a timeline that targets serious CUP contention in 2 years. My take is that Pearson likely drops down into a 3rd line role with PK time. The idea of duration over 3 year term makes me antsy unless there are no NMC or NTC in those contracts.   

7 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Hells yeah!

Boeser for Pesce has my vote.

Pearson Pettersson Miller

Baertschi Horvat Toffoli

Roussel Gaudette MacEwen

Martin Beagle Motte

(Eriksson)

Hughes Tanev

Edler Pesce

Juolevi Myers

(Benn)

Demko

(Vet tandem back up)

Trade:

Sutter + Virtanen for a pick

Stecher rights for a pick

Yuck. That is terrible.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Toffoli is coming off a contract that pays $4.6M AAV

He is 27 and in his prime years

IMHO, Those that think he will sign for 5 yrs @ $5M per are kidding themselves.

Toffoli's agent will be looking for at minimum $6++M for 5yrs

I think the dual realities of COVID-19 and the flat cap might have an effect on salaries and long-term deals.

The fact that he mentions specifically he's excited to play in Van bodes the possibility he's gonna take a decent contract to stay, but I guess we'll see. I think 5 year/25 million is the minimum, but I don't think it's impossible.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

aside from his stint with vancouver his numbers were steadily declining since 2014 and I think he would have gotten around what he gets now and with COVID I can see him getting 4m per year. He is not getting 6m a year unless he wants to go to like Buffalo.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, peaches5 said:

aside from his stint with vancouver his numbers were steadily declining since 2014 and I think he would have gotten around what he gets now and with COVID I can see him getting 4m per year. He is not getting 6m a year unless he wants to go to like Buffalo.

Well, we will find out soon enough

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Well, we will find out soon enough

If Toffoli gets 6m per year then we should have no interest in him. I would target Hall who expects to be getting far less than he would pre-covid. You can probably get Hall for 7 x 7.5m

Edited by peaches5
  • Cheers 2

52 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

We’re not even offering our MVP 6 million, we’re definitely not giving Toffoli that.

He’s just simply not that good. Plus, y’know, COVID.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Have you looked at his numbers before coming here? You don't pay him based entirely off his 10 regular season game sample size as a Canuck, you look at his history as a player and pay him at the rate of the 2nd line player he's always been. If he maintains/becomes something better than that here, great. But you don't pay him based on if's and what's.

He would have been looking at likely $5 to maybe $5.5m pre-covid on the open market. That's not increased since the pandemic.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

THE Image result for Cap Clip ArtSQUEEZE

we shouldn't be burning futures to try and rid our bad contracts. So Baer and Loui are on my roster for next season.

The following season I would buy out Loui. Baer walks.

Baertschi has proven he is over his concussion issues, he is still a fantastic playmaker, may as well get some use out of him.

Umm, no he hasn’t. The last time he was a productive NHLer was 2016-17, and concussion issues or not he hasn’t proven he’s earned a full time spot. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Have you looked at his numbers before coming here? You don't pay him based entirely off his 10 regular season game sample size as a Canuck, you look at his history as a player and pay him at the rate of the 2nd line player he's always been. If he maintains/becomes something better than that here, great. But you don't pay him based on if's and what's.

He would have been looking at likely $5 to maybe $5.5m pre-covid on the open market. That's not increased since the pandemic.

I agree completely.  He's ahad a solid career so far as a 2nd line winger who can jump and play with a guy like Petey and be successful.  A payday around $5-5.5m is about right.......whether they want to pay hm that is the question.  

TT

Tanev

Marky

I don't think he can get them all in and pay Petey and Hughes over the next cpl years

• Upvote 1

I still think if all things are equal, Mikael Granlund would be a better player to pursue for the Canucks. If the Lotto line is gonna play together, I think Granlund compliments Horvat much better cuz of his two way play ability and offensive creation rather than mostly just finish. Benning's analysis is that Loui played well with Horvat and Pearson because he was dependable defensively...imagine a winger who can actually produce as well. Plus, he can play C if necessary, and versatility is key on a developing team with players competing for spots. He can also run the 2nd PP and give it life. Signing both Granlund + Koivu on a 1-year deal could also be amazing and give the Canucks a possible 3rd line combo, esp in the playoffs next year.

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Granlund

Roussel - Sutter - Virtanen

Motte - Koivu - Beagle

Eriksson (plz god retire Loui)

or

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virtanen

Roussel - Koivu - Granlund

Motte - Beagle - Sutter/Eriksson 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

I agree completely.  He's ahad a solid career so far as a 2nd line winger who can jump and play with a guy like Petey and be successful.  A payday around $5-5.5m is about right.......whether they want to pay hm that is the question.  

TT

Tanev

Marky

I don't think he can get them all in and pay Petey and Hughes over the next cpl years

Around $20M coming off the books after next season and then another $20M the following year plus the new big tv deal. We’ll be fine. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

TT

Tanev

Marky

And I hope with him wanting to be here/the attraction of playing with our young core (and covid flat cap) we might even be able to squeeze him down to a team friendly $4.8+/-. 

$4.8-$5'ish in a great city, with a talented young core he's already established chemistry with, still on the west coast where his wife is from etc, etc, where he wants to play, is not far off the say $5.2 he might get somewhere he doesn't.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, aGENT said:

And I hope with him wanting to be here/the attraction of playing with our young core (and covid flat cap) we might even be able to squeeze him down to a team friendly $4.8+/-. 

$4.8-$5'ish in a great city, with a talented young core he's already established chemistry with, still on the west coast where his wife is from etc, etc, where he wants to play, is not far off the say $5.2 he might get somewhere he doesn't.

I honestly think we might see a trend of "Canadian City" discounts with the current state of the US.  Maybe not huge, but I'll bet most players (Euros and Canadians especially) will give Canada a much deeper look.

• Cheers 4

23 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

21 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Didn't see anyone post this but Toffoli wants to stay which goes against everything that the "media" had been suggesting.

But it makes more sense to have it in a free standing thread/report as you've done. 

We'll just add this in to the discussion here. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Pears said:

Around $20M coming off the books after next season and then another $20M the following year plus the new big tv deal. We’ll be fine. 

They're going to have to retain some of those players though.  This is, more less, the team they think can compete for a Cup.

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Is TT fast enough for a consistent top 6 threat? WiIl Pearson still be a top 6 forward a a CUP contending team? Both players are young enough to fit a timeline that targets serious CUP contention in 2 years. My take is that Pearson likely drops down into a 3rd line role with PK time. The idea of duration over 3 year term makes me antsy unless there are no NMC or NTC in those contracts.   

How old was Washington's top 6 when they won their Cup? The answer is most of them were in their 30s. I am pretty sure we got a 4 year window outta Toffoli and Pearson, as far as their best goes. They can still be very solid top 6 options even going into 33-35 age range. They could get 5 year deals and we'd still be okay with how young our superstars are.

• Upvote 1