The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Red Wings interested in Jacob Markstrom

6 hours ago, Provost said:

I think the tea leaves are lining up for Markstrom to sign somewhere else.

Lots of teams reportedly interested in him (why not, he is probably the best goalie on the UFA market with Lehner off the board).

At the same time our GM has been low key preparing us for a post Markstrom world.  “We need two good goalies with our travel”. “Demko is our starter of the future”. “Demko will be ready this coming season or next”....

etc

That seems to be messaging that is pointing away from a long term, high value deal with trade expansion for Markstrom.

We should have a deadline of the end of this week for negotiation, then like other teams are doing... either trade his rights or announce he will be testing free agency.

MAF at 50% retained anyone?

I hope we keep Demko and trade Markstrom's rights. There is no reason for having a 30 year old goalie when Demko showed such progress. Just use the extra money to sign a 1B and a top 4 dman 

• Upvote 1

We have options. Which is great but we need to be smart about it. 

I love Marky, but if he wants to move on or try his luck in free agency, so be it. He won’t come cheap and we are tight to the cap with UFA Still to sign, not to mention we have to extend Petey next year. Demko is likely ready to assume a starting position, and he proved he’s good under pressure in the playoffs. But my bet is Marky goes to a contender because he’s not exactly young nor a grizzled veteran but he waited a long time to make the playoffs and the Wings are a hot mess right now. 

If we can utilize by trading the rights to rid ourselves of a bad contract, that is an option to consider as well.

Should be interesting to see what transpires.

Edited by BlueDragon23

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Baer (while overpriced) could actually be a good fit in DET. He could easily play a middle 6 role for them, while sheltering kids/allowing for another year of development like many vets have done here. 

I suggested something like a late pick, Baer and Marky's rights for say a 4th (maybe 3rd...?). Works for them, helps us clear some cap.

That said, I'd imagine we'll get Marky's input on where he'd like to go, and I'm not sure it would be DET (even if I think they're not as far away as many other seem to). Somewhere like Carolina might be better for team and player (screw the Alberta teams unless they want to overpay for his rights IMO).

I think Marky's rights might be worth a 3rd at the very most (more likely a 4th)- but cap dumping Baer brings it down IMHO when we consider the Bjustad trade. With retaining Marky's rights becoming less and less valuable everyday..

But I agree, Baer could fit well there on a one-last-chance. Plays in a similar mold to other players Blashill had success with in the past too.

7 hours ago, Provost said:

I think the tea leaves are lining up for Markstrom to sign somewhere else.

Lots of teams reportedly interested in him (why not, he is probably the best goalie on the UFA market with Lehner off the board).

At the same time our GM has been low key preparing us for a post Markstrom world.  “We need two good goalies with our travel”. “Demko is our starter of the future”. “Demko will be ready this coming season or next”....

etc

That seems to be messaging that is pointing away from a long term, high value deal with trade expansion for Markstrom.

We should have a deadline of the end of this week for negotiation, then like other teams are doing... either trade his rights or announce he will be testing free agency.

MAF at 50% retained anyone?

Has Lehner been signed??? I haven't seen anything

7 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

I still think Benning offers him $5 and he takes it.

He might take 5.4 with no trade clause and 4 year deal....

There are several teams wanting Marky, Calgary,Colorado,  Hurricanes, Detroit, Toronto, His agent knows there in control.. Colorado have the money and this might put them over the top?  I think Marky will get off of 6.3 million...

I think Vancouver will want expansion clause and maybe 3 yrs at 5.5...... Think Colorado with give more security 5 yrs X 6 million no trade ect...

11 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

I think Marky's rights might be worth a 3rd at the very most (more likely a 4th)- but cap dumping Baer brings it down IMHO when we consider the Bjustad trade. With retaining Marky's rights becoming less and less valuable everyday..

But I agree, Baer could fit well there on a one-last-chance. Plays in a similar mold to other players Blashill had success with in the past too.

And that's fair (you'll note I added a late pick from us as well). But if we can dump Baer, and even if we send a 5th and get a 4th back, I call that a win.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

And that's fair (you'll note I added a late pick from us as well). But if we can dump Baer, and even if we send a 5th and get a 4th back, I call that a win.

Oh, I missed that. Yeah, that makes sense. A 3rd or a 4th also helps Benning in his mission to 'recoup' draft picks. I would call it win, too, esp. if Marky is likely to walk/ask too much anyway.

• Cheers 1

Just sign Markstrom. Stop with the Demko talk already. This is insane. It took marky like 5 years to get to the peak of his career and now you let him walk for free? Reasons? Knee jerk reaction because of demko’s 3 games in the playoffs? This is insane. I think Demko is good but if you think the window to win is now then Markstrom is the guy to sign. 

• Cheers 1

I feel confident either way, and I think that’s where team management is sitting...  there are a tonne of options out there for team tinkering.  Markstrom is solid and I’d love to see him back, but that $$ could be used in adding a salary via bargain trade...  as there’ll be plenty of squads looking for cap relief.

Edited by 70seven

11 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Just sign Markstrom. Stop with the Demko talk already. This is insane. It took marky like 5 years to get to the peak of his career and now you let him walk for free? Reasons? Knee jerk reaction because of demko’s 3 games in the playoffs? This is insane. I think Demko is good but if you think the window to win is now then Markstrom is the guy to sign. 

Markstrom isn't re-signing without ED protection Benning already said he wasn't willing to give with Demko our 'goalie of the future'. Ergo, we sign 31 year old Markstrom, we're forced in to trading 25 year old Demko with most of our core not even their primes yet.

Or conversely, Markstrom has zero incentive to sign with us, at less term, dollars and no security/movement clauses he could get elsewhere and PICK his team, if he's just going to get taken in expansion in a year.

AKA, it's over, he's not coming back.

• Cheers 2

17 minutes ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

If Markstrom gets a big time pay day in DET or an eastern conference team I wouldn't be mad at all.  At least it's not EDM or CGY

I pick it will be Colorado 4 yrs 5.8 million no trade deal.... We Don't want to  lock any player over 28 to a no trade clause.......Sorry

Force us in corner we sign a good backup and sign a top #2 D man .....Canucks have a limit and they have to draw a line...

I would think both sides know lots already....Canucks and Marky are being professional and not leaking new through media..

I think Benning will trade his rights early and get at least a 3rd or 4 th round pick if there not close on a deal..

If there are several teams interested and serious some team might get excited and give a 3rd rounder to get advantage on otter teams?

• Cheers 2

11 minutes ago, wildcam said:

I pick it will be Colorado 4 yrs 5.8 million no trade deal.... We Don't want to  lock any player over 28 to a no trade clause.......Sorry

Force us in corner we sign a good backup and sign a top #2 D man .....Canucks have a limit and they have to draw a line...

I would think both sides know lots already....Canucks and Marky are being professional and not leaking new through media..

I think Benning will trade his rights early and get at least a 3rd or 4 th round pick if there not close on a deal..

If there are several teams interested and serious some team might get excited and give a 3rd rounder to get advantage on otter teams?

COL is already good enough oh hockey gods please do not let him sign there

11 hours ago, nergish said:

I wonder what Braden Holtby would ask for in free agency...

He'd be a PERFECT mentor for Thatcher, even if he isn't the same goalie he was in his prime.

Markstrom to Detroit is a great fit. Would be a shame to see him go, but it looks like the writing's on the wall.

Holtby would go for at least 5 mill, he's got the resume that says so and would get some sort of security. The only guys we'll be getting backing up Demko are goalies that know they are 2nd fiddle, ie: James Reimer, that sort of deal. Reimer makes a lot of sense too if the dollar amount is right, his wife and her family is from here I believe

3 hours ago, aGENT said:

Markstrom isn't re-signing without ED protection Benning already said he wasn't willing to give with Demko our 'goalie of the future'. Ergo, we sign 31 year old Markstrom, we're forced in to trading 25 year old Demko with most of our core not even their primes yet.

Or conversely, Markstrom has zero incentive to sign with us, at less term, dollars and no security/movement clauses he could get elsewhere and PICK his team, if he's just going to get taken in expansion in a year.

AKA, it's over, he's not coming back.

absolutely right. Its Marky's turn to take care of good ol #1 which is himself, he deserves it. NHL careers are so finite that they need to cash in at some point, and after the 3 years Marky's shown, hes going to get maximum value and security whether its here which I doubt or somewhere else. I really do think he ends up in Carolina. Almost a mirror image of this team in terms of talent and where they are in their development. Only difference is they have the cap room and he's not looking over his shoulder for the foreeable future. If I was his agent, anything less than 6 - 6.5 and less than 5 years, Im hanging up the phone

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, KirkSave said:

I just hope Marky doesn't end up in Alberta. He would take those teams and put them on his back too. Their goaltending has been a major weak spot for years. Wouldn't be surprised if they offered him the moon.

If Marky ends up in Detroit, well, he won't see playoffs for a while.

I wouldn't worry about the Alberta teams. The Oilers have cap problems of their own especially when they paid an AHL calible goalie Koskinen 4 million. Flames I think are set, goaltending wasn't the biggest issue with their team, its the whole make up in general. I'd prefer Marky going to the east which is a very likely scenario

5 hours ago, ktcy2 said:

I think the window to win isn’t not but in 2 -3 years when EP and QH hit prime, we have some ELCs filling depth And have Pods, Hog, Rathbone,Rafferty on the team (some might be trade etc) but the view being that they would have forced some of the players ahead of them out the team. They get traded for players to fill the holes or for decent picks. 

I think if we go all in now the team will have to be gutted to move the contracts we need and would then mean we have either sell the farm to do it or overpay UFAs.

much rather be competitive, build up the team bit by bit uNtill we get to the point where we only need to get one UFA/trade to put us over the Edge and so we can retain the core and the future options 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Holtby would go for at least 5 mill, he's got the resume that says so and would get some sort of security. The only guys we'll be getting backing up Demko are goalies that know they are 2nd fiddle, ie: James Reimer, that sort of deal. Reimer makes a lot of sense too if the dollar amount is right, his wife and her family is from here I believe

Reimer is under contract in Detroit in Carolina for 1 more year at 3.4M.   

5 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

I wouldn't worry about the Alberta teams. The Oilers have cap problems of their own especially when they paid an AHL calible goalie Koskinen 4 million. Flames I think are set, goaltending wasn't the biggest issue with their team, its the whole make up in general. I'd prefer Marky going to the east which is a very likely scenario

Last week Pat Steinberg assured that the Flames covet Markstrom (audio in the Markstrom thread).   They have not had a real number 1 since Kiprusoff retired.   It's been a real goalie carousel under Treliving.  

Edited by mll