The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Russo: Wild shopping Ryan Donato

Donato on the block

Sources are indicating that Donato, who spent a lot of last season playing on the fourth line or being scratched and currently isn’t in the Wild’s top 12 in their depth chart, is being shopped. The Sharks are one team that has shown interest. It sure feels like Donato will be moved this offseason.

Guerin is also getting calls on Greenway, Eriksson Ek and Kunin. He’s already resisted trading Eriksson Ek umpteen times since becoming Wild GM, so that’s unlikely. He wasn’t happy with Greenway this season and made that abundantly clear to Greenway in his exit meeting. He told him he needed to work harder this offseason and come to camp in shape and ready to go.

- Russo

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Donato deal not a very good one in the first place....

Greenway is a winger I would consider acquiring if (my armchair deals worked out and a number of LW vets were dealt....)

yeah i like greenway, dont the wild really like him?

Just now, oldnews said:

let's get them together on our big balls line, centered by Sutter.

:lol: that actually might be a lot of fun. 

Greenway would be a good add tho if we move someone off the bottom 6, and you never know he may respond better to Green (I have no basis for this other than sometimes a change is good for a player).

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Greenway would be a good add tho if we move someone off the bottom 6, and you never know he may respond better to Green (I have no basis for this other than sometimes a change is good for a player).

also both got green in there name, probs a perfect fit.

18 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

Greenway would like Greens way 

lol

• Haha 2

Donato averaged 10:40 a game last season and was scratched a few games including in the last game of the play-ins in favour of rookie Nico Sturm.  He played mostly on the 4th line.

He had 14 goals with close to no PP time (15 seconds per game).  He can shoot the puck but is pretty weak in all other parts of the game.  He works really hard on the ice but needs to add strength.  Feels a bit like a marginal player at this stage despite the 14 goals.  He has a 15% shooting percentage and that might not be sustainable. 

1.9M for another year.  Was drafted in the 2nd round in 2014 and was a NCAA player - was traded for Charlie Coyle by Fenton.

The Fenton connection prompted Friedman to write this in his 31 thoughts:  I wonder if there’s a Ryan Donato/Henrik Borgstrom-style swap in the future. The former is another Fenton favourite, while the latter could use a change of scenery.

1 hour ago, rekker said:

Roussel for Greenway.

Minnesota despises Roussel ever since his Dallas days.  Media seems to be always mocking him including their broadcasting team reminding fans how he's going to create havoc and run away.  Again this season.  There's very little respect there ever since he speared one of their players and then turtled.  

The Wild are looking to get younger and more skilled - Greenway is 23 and Roussel is 30.  

Guerin was on a podcast and ripped into Greenway but also added that they were going to help him improve and become a professional because the skill set is fascinating.  Not convinced that equates to wanting to trade him before seeing if he can take that step.

50 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

No interest in Donato.

Eriksson Ek, Greenway and a 2nd round pick for Boeser and Roussel...

The Canucks scored 15 goals less than an average team like Minnesota at 5v5.  Not sure that removing scoring is the way to go if they expect to compete next season especially with them at risk of losing Markstrom.   The Canuck were one of only 6 of the 24 post-season teams to have a negative differential at 5v5.  They do their damage on the power-play.  

Eriksson Ek is the Wild's only natural centre. All the others are wingers forced to play C - Bjugstad, Kunin, Johansson all had more success on the wing.  From the article in the OP: "He’s already resisted trading Eriksson Ek umpteen times since becoming Wild GM, so that’s unlikely."  

The Wild are such a slow skating team.  Greenway and Eriksson Ek are guys that can fetch the puck.  Don't see Boeser having much success in Minnesota with the way they are constructed.  He's going to have to get to the puck himself and create his own plays with no elite playmaker / centre to set him up vs playing with Pettersson-Miller or Horvat in Vancouver. 

Edited by mll
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1