The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Vegas trying to move MAF 50% retained

Provost

4 hours ago, Provost said:

According to 1040, Vegas can’t get anyone to take MAF salary at 50% retained even if they give up a 2nd rounder.  Other teams wants a 1st.

I take Fleury at 50% retained if they give us a 2nd.  Move on from a Markstrom “potential” deal and save the money for something else.

EDIT: As per below, it seems like they want to give their 2nd to a team who is willing to take half of MAFs salary but then flip him to a 3rd team who will only take him at 50% retained.  

So, as I understand this, Vegas sets up a deal with two other teams (which has sorta' kinda' been done before). - or maybe I've missed something, which has happened... :)

The trade:

Vegas moves out Fleury's cap/contract to Team A. Team A gets Fleury, keeps 50% of his cap hit and gets a 2nd. Fleury passes through their hands to Team B, who gets to keep Fleury and the remaining 50% of his cap hit.

1.) What else (if anything) goes back to Vegas, a lower pick or a player/prospect/contract (or is it listed as "futures")? Who pays that part of the bill, Team A or Team B? I would suggest Team B, since they aren't paying anything atm other than taking on some cap.

2.) This sounds like a sucker bet to me. I don't think Team A gets enough in this deal (as it sits). Taking on $3.5 million in cap for merely a 2nd doesn't work for me. The pick is not enough, and they don't get to use Fleury like Team B does for their share of the cap.

I would suggest that Team A should get something from Team B, or Vegas agrees to give something more to Team A (picks/prospects) than the 2nd rounder.

regards,  G.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

So, as I understand this, Vegas sets up a deal with two other teams (which has sorta' kinda' been done before). - or maybe I've missed something, which has happened... :)

The trade:

Vegas moves out Fleury's cap/contract to Team A. Team A gets Fleury, keeps 50% of his cap hit and gets a 2nd. Fleury passes through their hands to Team B, who gets to keep Fleury and the remaining 50% of his cap hit.

1.) What else (if anything) goes back to Vegas, a lower pick or a player/prospect/contract (or is it listed as "futures")? Who pays that part of the bill, Team A or Team B? I would suggest Team B, since they aren't paying anything atm other than taking on some cap.

2.) This sounds like a sucker bet to me. I don't think Team A gets enough in this deal (as it sits). Taking on $3.5 million in cap for merely a 2nd doesn't work for me. The pick is not enough, and they don't get to use Fleury like Team B does for their share of the cap.

I would suggest that Team A should get something from Team B, or Vegas agrees to give something more to Team A (picks/prospects) than the 2nd rounder.

regards,  G.

Yes, the teams involved didn’t want to do it unless they got a 1st and a 2nd.

That is like eating a player with a $4.5 cap hit because you would get the actual player on your roster in that case. This is a pure $3.5 million cap hit and $3 million in real cash and no one for your roster.

Now it will be more expensive for Vegas because it would be next year’s picks or a couple of their top prospects.

If they want to trade us MAF straight up with 50% retained for a small return I would do that.

16 minutes ago, Provost said:

Yes, the teams involved didn’t want to do it unless they got a 1st and a 2nd.

That is like eating a player with a $4.5 cap hit because you would get the actual player on your roster in that case. This is a pure $3.5 million cap hit and $3 million in real cash and no one for your roster.

Now it will be more expensive for Vegas because it would be next year’s picks or a couple of their top prospects.

If they want to trade us MAF straight up with 50% retained for a small return I would do that.

Well yeah, that's an entirely different trade where the reward makes a bit more sense. For the Canucks they would get a useful player for half of his cap hit and a 2nd. This being said, Vegas could probably, with a little more give on their side, make the three team deal work.

The 2nd in this scenario looks like it would be from 2021 where they have two. The first 2nd round pick is from the Devils, which will likely be higher than the Vegas pick. This 2nd would go to Team A as they aren't getting as much as Team B. Team B, which gets to keep Fleury and half of his cap hit would get the Vegas 2nd.

Now all that Vegas would have to do is find out just how much of a sweetner is needed to get Team A to agree to terms (assuming Vegas still won't give up a 1st). Maybe an additional pick (a 2nd or a 3rd in 2022?) or a prospect.

regards,  G.

Edited by Gollumpus

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

I was going to suggest Eriksson and our 3rd rounder, for MAF and $1 million retained. 

Then I remembered MAF agent tweet with the sword during the playoffs. So no thanks, we don't need someone who creates distractions and divisions in the team. 

MAF is generally considered the best teammate anyone could wish for by all the guys and coaches that have been on his teams.   The fans were all over DeBoar for not playing him and his agent was asked to take it down (by MAF).  He’d be the perfect teammate for Demko - and this to me has just as much opportunity in it or more even then the OEL trade ideas.   Longer Vegas waits the more it’s going to hurt.   Tried to do it free (second out - likely second in for MAF and 50% retrained etc), GMs said no way, now would be a great time to be inventive to add a second this year OR create a cap dump of our own.   Ask for next years first and take him with 1-2 million retained for example.   Doubt Vegas wants to work with us.   But in the end they have to move him or someone even more important.   They need all the money out because they also need a back-up ... for around 1-2.   

Don’t sign TT or JM.   Trade for MAF add a first,  use that first to trade out LE etc...with the OEL trade 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

Something seems off about these rumours... how is it so hard to move MAF.

A 1st, 2nd, and 33% retained?  

I take MAF at $5-6 million for a 1st round pick next year.  Same money we would spend on Markstrom but only a two year term and we have the buffer for Demko. Maybe MAF only wants to go somewhere that he can be the undisputed starter.

36 minutes ago, Provost said:

I take MAF at $5-6 million for a 1st round pick next year.  Same money we would spend on Markstrom but only a two year term and we have the buffer for Demko. Maybe MAF only wants to go somewhere that he can be the undisputed starter.

If these rumours are true, why hasn’t any team done it by now? Seems like a no brainer! Lol

48 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think that's the ask of teams he'd be going to, not VGK's.

Vegas apparently unwilling to do that being the hold up.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Provost said:

Is that what Vegas is offering or what teams are asking for the swallow the Fluery contract in a dead cap offseason? I'm interpreting it as the latter 

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Is that what Vegas is offering or what teams are asking for the swallow the Fluery contract in a dead cap offseason? I'm interpreting it as the latter 

I think so, but if that is the ask, then isn't a slightly smaller return better for them and just moving MAF directly to another team instead of the 3 way idea they have?

7 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think so, but if that is the ask, then isn't a slightly smaller return better for them and just moving MAF directly to another team instead of the 3 way idea they have?

Given that cap space is more valuable than ever this offseason, I'm not sure 

Even if they do manage to find two teams willing to take 50% each with one team getting the player, getting a team to take on 3.5M in cap space won't come cheap

Even the team who actually gets Fluery will likely have a fairly high ask, the goalie market is saturated and Vegas is backed into a corner 

Particularly given the players one could likely grab for 3.5m who wouldn't usually accept such a deal that will be available over the next few years 

Edited by Coconuts

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Given that cap space is more valuable than ever this offseason, I'm not sure 

Even if they do manage to find two teams willing to take 50% each with one team getting the player, getting a team to take on 3.5M in cap space won't come cheap

Even the team who actually gets Fluery will likely have a fairly high ask, the goalie market is saturated and Vegas is backed into a corner 

Wouldn't you take on MAF with a $5-6 million cap hit if they throw in a 1st round pick?  I would.  He only has 2 years of term so would be an ideal partner with Demko, and you add a 1st round pick next year compared with signing Markstrom for 5 years at the same money?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Provost said:

Wouldn't you take on MAF with a $5-6 million cap hit if they throw in a 1st round pick?  I would.  He only has 2 years of term so would be an ideal partner with Demko, and you add a 1st round pick next year compared with signing Markstrom for 5 years at the same money?

I’d take his full cap hit if they gave us a lot. 

2 years at 7M isn’t much in the grand scheme and 2 years would be a good amount of time for Demko to develop. Seattle could also end up taking him.

11 minutes ago, Provost said:

It depends on the team, who do teams miss out on by taking on 7m for two years? How does it impact their cap structure? 

If we took one Fluery at 5-6m this offseason who would we lose out on for what'll probably be a mid to low 1st? Tanev? Tofu? I'm already assuming Marky walks. What does that look like if we grab OEL? Does the team feel Demko needs a 7m mentor to back him up? Is that price worth sacrificing cap flexibility during a time where guys will be scrambling to grab NHL jobs, guys who are more likely to take cheaper deals than usual because of a stagnant cap? 

Edited by Coconuts

3 hours ago, Provost said:

If this is the ask for a vet with two cups and a pedigree, that could still be worth every penny, I’m guessing when JB called 30 other teams pleading to take LE the ask would be ;  Three firsts a second and your first born child.   Can someone post this every time an LE proposal is made please?  Make a some wall paper out of it or something.   Why wouldn’t the Canucks do this?  Vegas is going to be in for a rude awakening in a month or two when the dust settles and they are still way over cap with Lehner. 

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I think there are a few different rumours going around and they are being conflated together and the hacks not really caring about consistency.

the rumours the other day were Carolina were asking for a 1st and 2nd to take 50% of MAF as retention, 

where as this seems to be conflating rumours that Vegas would need to retain at least 33% - and then slamming those two seperate things into one

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

So

10 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I’d take his full cap hit if they gave us a lot. 

2 years at 7M isn’t much in the grand scheme and 2 years would be a good amount of time for Demko to develop. Seattle could also end up taking him.

That's the silver lining to Marky going UFA at a time when other teams are strapped and goalies available.

Instead of signing JM to say $6M x 5 yrs, we could try and get MAF at 50%.

Not only does this lower the cap hit, reduce the years committed, and solve our ED worries, but there could even be a sweetener involved coming our way cause Vegas is desperate to clear his cap. 

The reduce cap hit could help with an OEL trade and/or resigning Tanev.    This would look good next year:

Edler - OEL

Hughes - Tanev

Rafferty/OJ - Myers

Demko/MAF

• Upvote 1