The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Alexander Wennberg

8 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

If you consider Gaud to be our 3C, he had a better year than AW at a younger age (24 vs. 26).   

AW has much better stats overall; it's not even close and not fair for Gaudette. You can't just cherry pick one year to make a comparison.

Edited by Dazzle

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Easy to make out the panicky Pollyanna's I'd want nowhere near me in an emergency situation/tough negotiation :lol:

@Robert Long

Tough time for fans.   Usually the draft is what a lot of us look forward to the most - the team flipped the switch on us this year (yeah!) now we want to see what’s next.   Sometimes doing nothing isn’t a bad strategy.   I doubt the fanbase or even ownership has the stomach for it,  but maybe this is one of them.   OEL makes things interesting but even that we don’t really need.   Let all three walk. Find suitable cheap good deal options.  And make your move after next season is strategically a valid plan.   

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, other than that I'm anxious/excited for the OEL deal to hopefully happen, I'm not sure why so many are otherwise panicking about our pending UFA's etc.

We've recently seen proof of players declaring their desire to come here and we have a once in a lifetime, freak free agency where we might be able to grab younger, cheaper and better players than usual. This is like Christmas for Jim.

this is like Christmas for the poor kid at a rich school

the other kids are going to Disneyland but dad can only afford a trip to see Aunt Ethel in Richmond

• Haha 3

The buyout window closes today.  

Teams who have players filing for arbitration will get a 2nd buyout window whether it goes to a hearing or not.  During that 2nd window only players who were on the roster at the TDL and with a contract of more than 4M can be bought out.  

• Thanks 1

I don’t think many casual fans recognize how skilled this kid is. 

I can see Calgary or something like that taking him on. If this guy can find his desire in a new City, and I mean Columbus is a bit of a hell-hole to call home IMO, look the f out. Execs of that team told me that they figured he’d be leading the West in points one day, but he never got there. I hope he finds a fit somewhere because he’s too talented to be wasted. 

So many guys like us have all the desire in the world to play, but not much of the skill. Makes us grimace when we see a guy with this much skill put in this little effort. 

Edited by 189lb enforcers?
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

I can see Calgary or something like that taking him on. If this guy can find his desire in a new City, and I mean Columbus is a bit of a hell-hole to call home IMO, look the f out. Execs of that team told me that they figured he’d be leading the West in points one day, but he never got there. I hope he finds a fit somewhere because he’s too talented to be wasted. 

So many guess like us have all the desire in the world to play, but not much of the skill. Makes us grimace when we see a guy with this much skill put in this little effort. 

Why do you say he doesn't put out much effort?

Wennberg is a fairly consistent point producer, even if he's not extraordinary.

3 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

So many guys like us have all the desire in the world to play, but not much of the skill. Makes us grimace when we see a guy with this much skill put in this little effort. 

Agree.. Similar to JV it is frustrating to watch that skill squander...

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Why do you say he doesn't put out much effort?

Wennberg is a fairly consistent point producer, even if he's not extraordinary.

I think consistent yes but he could be so much better imo with a little more effort on and off the puck. Like a Virt or a Wellwood. You can see the skill and potential and just want them to put it all together. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

I feel some other teams like Winnipeg, Minnesota, Buffalo, Rangers, and LA might be able to offer him a 2 C position where I think he best fits.

Thats a big risk to rely on him as a 2c after two substandard years. Whether by choice or necessity, he's become a more defensive, 2 way player of late as opposed to the pure scorer he used to be. I actually see him better as a 3c on a good team. Like ours. :)

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Easy to make out the panicky Pollyanna's I'd want nowhere near me in an emergency situation/tough negotiation :lol:

@Robert Long

Yep, also let’s you know which people are negotiating like some Hollywood board shouting match and a zero sum game when in reality good deals often come from you know negotiating with your goal in mind, finding out  what the other side want to get out and find solutions that tick most of the critical boxes from both parties. 

those which focus on it being zero sum are  clearly not negotiators

• Cheers 1

ZYsDhu

2 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

Yep, also let’s you know which people are negotiating like some Hollywood board shouting match and a zero sum game when in reality good deals often come from you know negotiating with your goal in mind, u sweats sing what the other side want to get out and find solutions that tick most of the critical boxes from both parties. 

this which focus on it being zero sum are  clearly not negotiators

zzz ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

AW has much better stats overall; it's not even close and not fair for Gaudette. You can't just cherry pick one year to make a comparison.

So did Kyle Turris, but he is also on the decline as it appears AW is too at a younger age. And seeing that Gaud has four less years than AW in the league, it is fair to compare their most recent seasons since it is about "what have you done for me lately."  

image.thumb.png.ff8eb28fa75013d29afd1faddc8c27f7.png

image.thumb.png.7e09484fe07703d719ab964c768aad79.png   

3 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

So did Kyle Turris, but he is also on the decline as it appears AW is too at a younger age. And seeing that Gaud has four less years than AW in the league, it is fair to compare their most recent seasons since it is about "what have you done for me lately."  

image.thumb.png.ff8eb28fa75013d29afd1faddc8c27f7.png

image.thumb.png.7e09484fe07703d719ab964c768aad79.png   

Except wennberg has outproduced Gaudette every single year, practically. Even if there's one year where there's a closer comparison, wennberg is clearly the superior player right now. It's not even a fair comparison. Wennberg is only two years older than Gaudette, but has way more points.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

ZYsDhu

zzz ok GIF by Jim Gaffigan

Auto correct and lag caused double post - corrected in the second one - 

However it has been empirically proven that negotiators that approach with zero sum mentality whilst the may ‘win’ the actual result is not as favourable  outcome as one which looks to build a agreeable settlement. 

most people in these forums approach their trade proposals or assess trades based on it being zero sum and fail to build in team need into them. 

sometimes a negotiation Is zero sum, sometimes walking away to try and increase leverage or force close can be good to get it over the line, but those are actually exceptions not the rule 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Except wennberg has outproduced Gaudette every single year, practically. Even if not one for one, wennberg is clearly the superior player right now. It's not even a fair comparison.

So you are telling me that going from 59 to 22 points in four seasons is "clearly superior?"  His one season was an outlier and the ONLY reason he got the contract extension. Also why he just got bought out. The only real advantage I can see is he plays more minutes than Gaud. One thing you do not have to worry about with Gaud is his commitment level and intensity. Those have been clear knocks against AW with CBJ. 

29 minutes ago, aGENT said:

@Robert Long

its pretty clear Jim is happy to take his chances in free agency and promotion from within. 

I'm glad he's not giving into Marky's demands for ED protection. Marky had a great year, but I'm worried to do that he got hurt twice... at 31 that does worry me. 

I'm also intrigued by the potential for a Demko-1B pairing and what that means for our cap going forward. 

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Odjick29willkillyou said:

So you are telling me that going from 59 to 22 points in four seasons is "clearly superior?"  His one season was an outlier and the ONLY reason he got the contract extension. Also why he just got bought out. The only real advantage I can see is he plays more minutes than Gaud. One thing you do not have to worry about with Gaud is his commitment level and intensity. Those have been clear knocks against AW with CBJ. 

He has had at least three decent seasons that are superior to Gaudette's, granted that Gaud has played far fewer games. On top of this, Wennberg did pretty good in the playoffs this season, which Gaudette did not.

The difference is in the contract. Wennberg was bought out because he was costing the team too much money. Gaudette is making less than a million. Who is the better player? Obviously Wennberg. In terms of cost effectiveness, Gaudette probably. Gaudette still has time to produce wennberg like numbers.

• Cheers 1