The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Alexander Wennberg

1 hour ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

If we could somehow snag Granlund and Wennberg on discounts due to performance last year instead of Toffoli I think that would be like found money.  Either way there are a lot of options as long as JB proceeds with some form of plan.

I don't understand the obsession with granlund, we had his brother and that didn't work out.

Granlunds been declining for years, couldn't cut it in minny or nashville, vancouver would be no different. 

No more schremps :bigblush:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Why do you say he doesn't put out much effort?

Wennberg is a fairly consistent point producer, even if he's not extraordinary.

Why? Horse’s mouth, really. 
Because that’s what I was told by people who make the decisions there, but I’ve also followed him closely enough to observe his reluctance to engage the play. 

He actually does a decent job at getting dirty, it’s not that. What I’ve noticed is that he doesn’t seem to have that killer instinct stuff; that supposed 2nd gear; that get there first at all costs “battle” mentality, which our EP has no shortage of. I think he could get back what he had in his first few years when he actually displayed some urgency. 

I’m really high on Gaudette, that should be no secret on here. I like Wennberg enough to imagine a 1 for 1 trade. The Canucks need more size, skill and tempo to their game. By adding a player like AW, perhaps they start to get there, but without adding a Josh Anderson type of complementary winger, I don’t think it will improve us. I sure wish Firkland was 21 again. 

I really like him as a player, I can see him slotting in as our 2C and pushing Horvat down to do what he does best, but having two tall, skinny, unphysical offensive centerman in the top 6 isn’t my preference unless they are winged by guys like Miller, but meaner. 

If JB were to snag him, I’d consider that to be a savvy move. While we have “some” cap room flexibility, via minor trades or whatever, I’d welcome him to the roster until at least the TDL, where I’d gamble/suspect he’d have had enough of a bounce back that he’d be either worth some draft picks to someone else, or worth keeping here for the PP. 

As it stands, most of the PP players are also being utilized on the PK, exactly where they are exposed to injuries. It’s nice to imagine a future where skill guys aren’t also forced to be blocking shots. Pipe dream, maybe. 

Thats my coffee fuelled sermon, anyways. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

I don't understand the obsession with granlund, we had his brother and that didn't work out.

Granlunds been declining for years, couldn't cut it in minny or nashville, vancouver would be no different. 

Our Granlund was meh, but Mikael Granlund has been a productive top 6 winger with skill.  Something didn't work with Nashville, but I don't think that's an indication of a major decline as he's only 28.  Could be wrong but he feels like a decent UFA bargain this year.  Pearson Horvat Granlund would be a pretty good second line for us.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Mikael Granlund is a lot more skilled than his brother. Had a down year last year so you might be getting a bargain of a deal. But before last season he had 3 50+ point seasons in a row with two of those in Minisoeta more than 65 points. Sure he’s not the biggest but if Toffoli leaves you might be able to fit in a guy at a cheaper rate with the same production and it’s not like you lose any grit there.

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Why? Horse’s mouth, really. 
Because that’s what I was told by people who make the decisions there, but I’ve also followed him closely enough to observe his reluctance to engage the play. 

He actually does a decent job at getting dirty, it’s not that. What I’ve noticed is that he doesn’t seem to have that killer instinct stuff; that supposed 2nd gear; that get there first at all costs “battle” mentality, which our EP has no shortage of. I think he could get back what he had in his first few years when he actually displayed some urgency. 

I’m really high on Gaudette, that should be no secret on here. I like Wennberg enough to imagine a 1 for 1 trade. The Canucks need more size, skill and tempo to their game. By adding a player like AW, perhaps they start to get there, but without adding a Josh Anderson type of complementary winger, I don’t think it will improve us. I sure wish Firkland was 21 again. 

I really like him as a player, I can see him slotting in as our 2C and pushing Horvat down to do what he does best, but having two tall, skinny, unphysical offensive centerman in the top 6 isn’t my preference unless they are winged by guys like Miller, but meaner. 

If JB were to snag him, I’d consider that to be a savvy move. While we have “some” cap room flexibility, via minor trades or whatever, I’d welcome him to the roster until at least the TDL, where I’d gamble/suspect he’d have had enough of a bounce back that he’d be either worth some draft picks to someone else, or worth keeping here for the PP. 

As it stands, most of the PP players are also being utilized on the PK, exactly where they are exposed to injuries. It’s nice to imagine a future where skill guys aren’t also forced to be blocking shots. Pipe dream, maybe. 

Thats my coffee fuelled sermon, anyways. 

Push Horvat down to do what he does best? What Horvat does best is being an amazing 2C, stay off the drugs bud.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I’d be happy with either one to be honest, Wennberg or Turris.  

Good point about Torts, I forgot he was in Columbus.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see Josh Anderson hit 25 goals for Montreal too. 

Anderson scored 27 under Torts, his numbers trail off due to injuries. I get everyone hates Torts but he's a good coach if you fit his style.

But I agree Wennberg may fit Greener's system better. I think I suggested swapping Sutter for him last year. So if we can get him for free for a low-ish cap hit. I'd be all over it. But you only do this if you don't believe in Gaudette. So I wonder how much management/coaching believes in Gaudette.

33 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Anderson scored 27 under Torts, his numbers trail off due to injuries. I get everyone hates Torts but he's a good coach if you fit his style.

But I agree Wennberg may fit Greener's system better. I think I suggested swapping Sutter for him last year. So if we can get him for free for a low-ish cap hit. I'd be all over it. But you only do this if you don't believe in Gaudette. So I wonder how much management/coaching believes in Gaudette.

I believe Gaudette could be a good middle 6 W... How about that?

Maybe if we in fact don't retain Toffoli...

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Gaudette/Virtanen

Leivo, Wennberg, Virtanen/Gaudette

Motte, Beagle, MacEwan

Hardly see a problem with that starting 12. And Podz, Hogs and Lind waiting in the background.

I don't see the present Wennburg as an upgrade at 3C for us - not relative to Sutter - and where Gaudette is concerned, he's still a work in progress.

Wennburg was sure a talented player....

Two things appeared to roadblock him - he ran into injuries coming out of his breakout - and I have to wonder if he might be the type of personality that does not necessarily thrive under a Tortorella.   Hansen, Edler - seriously steady, hard-working, level-headed guys, that did not work well with Torture-fella.  

And beyond personalities - Tortorella can be pretty hard-headed when it comes to deployment...remember the brilliant hypothesis of his, to make penalty killers of the Sedins?  Well I'm not sure Wennburg has been deployed to his strengths there - something even a bit more odd considering they haven't exactly been bottlenecked with top 6 centers since dealing Johansen.

Will be interesting to see what Wennburg proves capable of in a new setting.  Really like his game - his playmaking - not the grittiest of guys and not exactly a prototypical defensive/shutdown center (not a great faceoff guy either) - but in the right circumstances, and perhaps even moved to the wing, perhaps he can revive the upside to his career?

I doubt he lands here, but he'll probably be a good low cost risk for a team looking for middle six scoring to take.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Our Granlund was meh, but Mikael Granlund has been a productive top 6 winger with skill.  Something didn't work with Nashville, but I don't think that's an indication of a major decline as he's only 28.  Could be wrong but he feels like a decent UFA bargain this year.  Pearson Horvat Granlund would be a pretty good second line for us.

Voice of reason, thanks for this

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Really like his game - his playmaking - not the grittiest of guys and not exactly a prototypical defensive/shutdown center (not a great faceoff guy either) - but in the right circumstances, and perhaps even moved to the wing, perhaps he can revive the upside to his career?

Perfectly describes Linden Vey

Hope our Swedish luck allows us to be a team he is interested in. Would be a good #3C, can play on the 2nd PP, think he can kill penalties and he is more of a playmaker than a shooter so could be a good fit if Gaudette gets shifted to his wing?

6 hours ago, Meh said:

Push Horvat down to do what he does best? What Horvat does best is being an amazing 2C, stay off the drugs bud.

No, I didn’t mean it like that. There is no replacing Horvat, but maybe on a depth chart as far as lines go, he’d end up as #3 in this case, maybe. It would all depend on how Wennberg responds. If AW suddenly becomes him old self, the Canucks would be extremely deep down the middle, and for what, a couple mill? 

I mean it’s possible to have two #2C’s, one capable of winning any draw in any zone and a Selke acumen too, plus a guy built for the PP. I get why that might cause some eyebrow raising on the first read. 

Theoretically then, Horvat might remain second behind EP in ice time, heck he might even beat him, but point is not to have your top C’s being your best PKers too. A guy like AW could allow the team to play match-ups a bit better than it has been. 

All of this was a big old nothing burger of speculating on my part. 

I wonder what Koivu would look like here. If he was cheap enough, and I doubt he’ll be AW-cheap, he could also allow Horvat more time on the offensive side of the game. There are going to be plenty of options it looks like. Lowry remains my #1 target. 

12 hours ago, Robert Long said:

explains why Jim's being patient, doesn't it? 

The funny thing is I mentioned a week or 2 ago how I felt we should not sign any of Tanev, Toffoli, or Markstrom, and go bargain shopping at free agency. lol

Army and Navy NHL edition! Go buy a new pair of shoes Benning!

Edited by The Lock

11 hours ago, canucklehead44 said:

What is with all of the cash poor teams buying out players? I ran so many scenarios where we could have traded Eriksson to save these teams cash and get an asset in return

Poor teams could be suffering too from the lack of fans in the stands.

8 hours ago, The Lock said:

Poor teams could be suffering too from the lack of fans in the stands.

Exactly, but if I was the GM of a team that was struggling financially but had cap space I wouldn’t be flushing money down the toilet with buyouts which makes me think cap space is way more important than cash even to the small cap teams