The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Rumor) No Canuck Buyouts

Squamfan

Just now, Robert Long said:

thats fine, it just means Baer and Sutters $ will be gone after next year, and Spooner buyout too. Thats the majority of Hughes bridge deal right there.

Sutter is a roster player and will need to be replaced.  

5 minutes ago, Robert Long said:

thats fine, it just means Baer and Sutters $ will be gone after next year, and Spooner buyout too. Thats the majority of Hughes bridge deal right there.

If Hughes takes another step next year (which he might very well do) there may not be any bridge deal.

Same goes for EP.

We might be looking at rookie contract to 10M for both.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Wonder why we wouldn't buy sven out.  Wish Sven would get a chance to play somewhere else,  he's one of the good guys in the game.

Doesn't really save much on the cap this year (~$1.6M) vs keeping him in Utica saves (~$1M), but then we'd owe him ~$800K next year.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

No arb rights. Also flat cap. Doesn’t have much of a choice. 

He'll have the numbers and the comparables. We might have the power in the negotiations because Hughes doesn't have many "rights" but can't imagine ownership and managements wants to rock the boat relationship wise with these players.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

If Hughes takes another step next year (which he might very well do) there may not be any bridge deal.

Same goes for EP.

We might be looking at rookie contract to 10M for both.

if both are 8 years deals I think I'm OK with that. 

Who is surprised?

This manager has not admitted things, not even that the team was in Rebuild mode, since he started here. So, anyone surprised that he’s not showcasing any perceived mistakes by shaking them out like a dirty rug, via buy outs and waivers, must be hoping he’s a changed man. 

I’m not surprised, disappointed, or pleased. 
The team is in decent shape regardless of any of these non moves. Those holes would have to be plugged by more, err well, plugs. Makes no difference, really, to stand pat today. 

Just now, kanucks25 said:

He'll have the numbers and the comparables. We might have the power in the negotiations because Hughes doesn't have many "rights" but can't imagine ownership and managements wants to rock the boat relationship wise with these players.

JB was stern with Boeser I can’t imagine he bites with Hughes especially with a flat cap. simply all signs point to the contrary. 

All Hughes could do is wait out like Boeser/Nylander. 

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

Petterson and Hughes...  more money in raises due than cash coming off the books.

We can't rely on Seattle taking a big contract off our books to save us.

I don't think they will sign for as much as many expect. Which has been the case for almost every RFA signing under Benning so far. We will have several ELCs fighting for spots next season. We have projected 38 million in cap space for next season right now and assuming EP and QH get a total of 15 million (although I think we could get them around 14 million combined) That leaves 23 million for 11 more players (for a 23 man roster). Say 3 ELCs at an average of 900k each. That leaves about 20.3 million for 8 players, so we can average about just over 2.5 million per for the rest (obviously some will be more, but can balance with other cheap contracts in depth spots where some big money is off the books. Someone will be taken in expansion and unless it's someone that costs under a million, we will save at least a little if the replacement is one of the ELCs or cheap contracts (although I imagine if we expose Myers, he would be an enticing target for them or at worst be a tradable piece that could be replaced with Tryamkin). And keep in mind, we could still try to move out Roussel or Eriksson or worst case buy them out to save us 1.2 and 2 million respectively in a pinch. Also the current projection includes Ferland who may end up on LTIR.

Of course we will have to see how this offseason plays out to project next offseason, but as of now, this year is the one of concern and it's smoother sailing from then on.

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

It saves us about $600k on the cap this year compared with burying him, and it costs us $800k next year of dead cap.  It is a net negative, do we need to save a little more money this season at the expense of the next one?  Our cap crunch is bad now, it is terrible the next season.

I don’t see why people keep saying our cap crunch is awful next season. As it currently stands, Demko, Petey, and Hughes will be the only ones needing to be re-signed next year and yes they will all be due big raises. We have Edler (6 mil) Benn (2 mil) Baertschi (3.3 mil) Pearson (3.75 mil) Sutter (4.38 mil) All coming off the books. We will only have 1 year left on guys like Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson who could potentially be moved. The cap probably stays flat but could go up. We still don’t particularly know about Ferland and his contract. Plus someone under contract will be taken in the expansion draft. So we have a guaranteed 19 mil off the books, potentially 3-6 mil we can get off the books in a trade (I’m assuming we would retain some on Eriksson especially if moved). Plus we can safely assume someone in the 1-3 mil range goes in the expansion draft. But even then 19 should be enough for Petey and Hughes and Demko bridge deals. The only pending FA we might re-sign would be Edler. By then you’ll have Podz, Hoglander, Lind, etc. competing for offensive spots. Rathbone, Rafferty, Juolevi, etc on defense. I think this offseason is way worse. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

I don’t see why people keep saying our cap crunch is awful next season. As it currently stands, Demko, Petey, and Hughes will be the only ones needing to be re-signed next year and yes they will all be due big raises. We have Edler (6 mil) Benn (2 mil) Baertschi (3.3 mil) Pearson (3.75 mil) Sutter (4.38 mil) All coming off the books. We will only have 1 year left on guys like Roussel, Beagle, Eriksson who could potentially be moved. The cap probably stays flat but could go up. We still don’t particularly know about Ferland and his contract. Plus someone under contract will be taken in the expansion draft. So we have a guaranteed 19 mil off the books, potentially 3-6 mil we can get off the books in a trade (I’m assuming we would retain some on Eriksson especially if moved). Plus we can safely assume someone in the 1-3 mil range goes in the expansion draft. But even then 19 should be enough for Petey and Hughes and Demko bridge deals. The only pending FA we might re-sign would be Edler. By then you’ll have Podz, Hoglander, Lind, etc. competing for offensive spots. Rathbone, Rafferty, Juolevi, etc on defense. I think this offseason is way worse. 

Plus the $1M for the Spooner buyout.  We're in a good position next year to move on from some older players just as ELC guys are ready to step in (Lind, Hoglander, Podz, OJ, Rathbone, Woo ?)

I think Edler will come back but at a much reduced cost.

14 minutes ago, mll said:

Sutter is a roster player and will need to be replaced.  

Most likely with a player that will cost cheaper than his current 4.5 million salary, so either way, it's savings. Even though it's less to cover the Hughes bridge, I also expect the Hughes bridge to be cheaper than expected (I'd say 6-6.5 million for 4 years with EP around 7.5-8, but hopefully long term)