The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Flames sign Jacob Markstrom

3 minutes ago, Toyotasfan said:

Marky had to stop a lot of rubber here, the odd time when the Canucks shut another team down offensively you could see Marky gets bored and makes bad decisions like charging out to the blue line after a loose puck.

Calgary is more defensive minded, I hope Marky is very bored between the pipes.

I hope we change that. We played a lot like the 06-07 Canucks, but back then we didn't have the skill upfront and had no choice. We aren't built like that, and we shouldn't play like it.

I'm not saying we have to drastically change everything, but we should be more aggressive on defense and limit clean entries and zone time, maybe even get the puck to transition offensively.

Double whammy. We lose a good Canuck today and the Flames solved their goaltending issue. For the best and if this team is to move forward decisions need to be made without emotions. Both business and on ice. Good luck Marky. You were a great Canuck. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Barry_Wilkins said:

I can't even imagine Markstrom in that ugly red uniform.

Calgary's defensive structure is sub-par. To Calgary's benefit, at least Markstrom's used to that.

It's not going to be that much different, IMO....

We all watched the Canucks and felt like we gave up way too many shots (and we did) but the fact is, we averaged one extra shot against per game, compared to the Flames.

3 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

What the hell. We couldn’t beat that ?!?

We probably would only have had to match it, but the money wasn't the issue...it was term and the NMC.

The Flames could get away with that, because their goalie of the future is still a few years away. (I think his name is Wolf, or something like that)

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

What the hell. We couldn’t beat that ?!?

I think that he wanted expansion draft protection.  We didn't want to give up Demko

“Jacob Markstrom demonstrated incredible character and focus, was a fierce competitor night in and night out, and was a big part of our team. Equally impressive was his work in the community, particularly with Canucks Autism. We wish Marky and his family the best going forward.” - Benning

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

6 years

6 million

Kinda glad we passed on that.  Goalies on the north end of 29 don't tend to get appreciably better in todays NHL.  It's time for Demko

Wow, no kidding.  Huge Markstrom fan, but in no way would I have wanted to see a deal anything close to that.  For me I had 5M x 4 as my max.  Very very happy with our Demko/Holtby combo.  I don't think we will miss a beat, and we're in good shape for Seattle expansion too.

• Cheers 1