The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanev Appreciation Thread

Rate this topic

-DLC-

1 minute ago, Slegr said:

He was a warrior, for sure. 

Still, I have to say, I get that players need to look out for themselves at the end of the day, but really, is there no sense of honour anymore?  How two of our long-serving better players can just pick up and sign with one of biggest division rivals like that? Granted, we had cap trouble and couldn’t afford what they rightly earned, but to me it’s still deeply disrespectful to fans when a player signs with a big division opponent. I know it’s different circumstances than like Tavares leaving the Islanders for the Leafs, but still, as much as liked Tanev and Markstrom, that pretty much disappears when they choose to sign with the Flames. Sure, it’s their choice and they earned it, but as a fan of the Canucks first, I’ve earned the right to boo these guys the next time I see them play.

I don't think it's about picking another "team".....more so, picking another "offer" that just happens to come from that team.  They wanted the best $$/term and it just so happened Calgary was the team offering them that. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I don't think it's about picking another "team".....more so, picking another "offer" that just happens to come from that team.  They wanted the best $$/term and it just so happened Calgary was the team offering them that. 

I get that, but players still need to realize it’s fully disrespectful to their fans, the same fans who made them stars. 
We were very patient with Tanev all those seasons he got injured.

We were patient with Markstrom all those seasons he was average or below.

We did give these players initial offers that they declined.

They then signed with our biggest rival.

It’s their right, but there is zero honour in it, and to me, it compromises  recognition of their contributions towards this team.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 2

16 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Still, I have to say, I get that players need to look out for themselves at the end of the day, but really, is there no sense of honour anymore?  How two of our long-serving better players can just pick up and sign with one of biggest division rivals like that? Granted, we had cap trouble and couldn’t afford what they rightly earned, but to me it’s still deeply disrespectful to fans when a player signs with a big division opponent. I know it’s different circumstances than like Tavares leaving the Islanders for the Leafs, but still, as much as I liked Tanev and Markstrom, that pretty much disappears when they choose to sign with the Flames. Sure, it’s their choice and they earned it, but as a fan of the Canucks first, I’ve earned the right to boo these guys the next time I see them play.

So if you work at Office Depot, you're not allowed to later on work at Staples?

It's a job dude. They're allowed to work for other employers, no ill will.

If you only liked Tanev & Markstrom cuz' they were Canucks, guess what? You were never really fans of them to begin with.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I felt it was only right for a guy who gave us over a decade of service.

Tanev developed into a smooth, reliable defenseman.  A warrior - people complained he got injured a lot but it happens when you play a solid, fearless game.  It never stopped him from blocking shots....he and Edler were 3rd and 4th overall in the league last year.

We watched him grow from a fresh faced kid into locker room "Dad".  We all know how he has helped Quinn slide nicely into place.

He will be missed.  Not sure I'll be able to stomach him in the "other guy's" jersey.  Thank you, Tequila...wish you all the best (off the ice!).  

image.png

Super impressive from the moment he stepped up in the '11 Cup Finals. Gonna miss the guy, but onwards & upwards as they say.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, falcon45ca said:

So if you work at Office Depot, you're not allowed to later on work at Staples?

It's a job dude. They're allowed to work for other employers, no ill will.

If you only liked Tanev & Markstrom cuz' they were Canucks, guess what? You were never really fans of them to begin with.

Well, call me old fashioned, but to me it’s very disrespectful to fans. Would the Sedins have ever played for the Flames? Or Trevor Linden?

I cheered for them while they were Canucks and appreciated them while here

They no longer wanted or are Canucks, so the cheering stops for me, as they are on Calgary trying to help them beat us in games and the standings

Tanev might get ROH one day and that will be the only other time they get a cheer from me

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Cheers 2

12 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Well, call me old fashioned, but to me it’s very disrespectful to fans. Would the Sedins have ever played for the Flames? Or Trevor Linden?

Depends if they were ever offered a solid contract from them. I'd say it's very disrespectful to the players to only care about them when they play for your team.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

image.png

Well I guess if Calgary hadn't made the offer, he could've retired and cashed in as an artist.  :lol:  

A good read on "Dad" here:

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/chris-tanev-is-the-canucks-team-dad-and-everythings-coming-up-pug-2039896

Is that a Flames C with an orca? :P

The new Marky Tanev sweaters?

image.png.4852279d33065861763da8a54d8ad763.png

Edited by ba;;isticsports
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Slegr said:

Still, I have to say, I get that players need to look out for themselves at the end of the day, but really, is there no sense of honour anymore?  How two of our long-serving better players can just pick up and sign with one of biggest division rivals like that? Granted, we had cap trouble and couldn’t afford what they rightly earned, but to me it’s still deeply disrespectful to fans when a player signs with a big division opponent. I know it’s different circumstances than like Tavares leaving the Islanders for the Leafs, but still, as much as I liked Tanev and Markstrom, that pretty much disappears when they choose to sign with the Flames. Sure, it’s their choice and they earned it, but as a fan of the Canucks first, I’ve earned the right to boo these guys the next time I see them play.

If you have to move you go for the best offer and situation. It's just that simple.