The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Pardon me? That was fact. You had about 4 or 5 posters immediately ask you to simply leave politics out of hockey talk. Been around a long time and can't remember the last tome CDC immediately agreed on something so whole heartedly. 

those posters are made of the same cloth....but censorship is part of life now.

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

There are threads for politics here. Leave it out of the hockey side. 

Yeah okay pal,,why don't you answer the questions? Madden and a second for 17 games of Toffoli....is short sighted, is it not?

• Wat 1

Just now, Silky mitts said:

You don’t trade a second and a prospect for a ufa you can’t guarntee to resign especially where this team currently is. Terrible move from a terrible gm .

The move was made to replace Boeser who was done for the season until Covid happened. It was not a terrible move it was a lottery ticket and a B prospect at best to replace a top 6 winger. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

those posters are made of the same cloth....but censorship is part of life now.

Do you not see the irony in the statements you are making? You can't cry censorship right after attempting to discredit based off a perceived political stance that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand. Politics have no place on a hockey fan fourm. End of subject.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Pete M said:

Yeah okay pal,,why don't you answer the questions? Madden and a second for 17 games of Toffoli....is short sighted, is it not?

The move was made to replace Boeser who was done for the season until Covid happened. It was not a terrible move it was a lottery ticket and a B prospect at best to replace a top 6 winger. 

Pair the flat cap which no one saw coming. It's been answered numerous times. 

lol....thanks for answering the question....I agree to disagree.

1 hour ago, Googlie said:

Not sure he is a good fit with Bo.   His most productive stretch last season was with Miller and Petey.  Miller was clearly mentoring him (remember the helmet to helmet discussions on the bench?) and it seemed that Jake listened and absorbed.

Bo's best season (last one) was actually with Pearson and Eriksson, although in BB's rookie year that line of  Baertschi, Bo and Boeser was pretty formidable.

But if you put Jake with Petey and Miller, and reunite the killer Bees, what do you do with Pearson and Eriksson?  Drop them to 3rd? What to do then with Roussel and Gaudette?  And are we still interested in resigning Leivo?

Let's face it, we have too many similar forwards.  We didn't need Toffoli

I like your thinking. We could do something like this:

Miller - Pettersson - Virtanen

Pearson/Hoglander - Horvat - Boeser

Pearson/Hoglander/Baertschi - Gaudette - Eriksson/MacEwen

Motte/Roussel - Beagle - Eriksson/Sutter

This also doesn't account for the fact that Podkolzin could be joining the team mid-season once his season is over in Russia. Not too too bad. The priority should be to acquire a top 4 dman and then deal with the surplus of forwards later on.

• Cheers 1

Hmm... in a spitballing mood, so bear with me. ;) 

Maybe we should replace Tyler with Tyler?

Wonder what kind of sweetener TBL would  add to move Tyler Johnson’s full $5M AAV? Maybe Cal Foote? Or maybe we even put together a deal for Johnson and Cernak?

Package out Sutter along with Virtanen’s rights.

Easier said then done, I know, but surely there must be a way. Sutter’s contract isn’t quite negative value (it’s close but I think he still brings some value for money, at least for a team with forward needs), Virtanen’s rights should, even with arbitration pending, add some “sweetener” value, and I suppose we could even throw in a minor pick, if necessary (although it really shouldn’t be).

Re-sign Gaudette and Leivo.

After shedding Sutter, burying Eriksson and Baertschi, and not having to pay Virtanen’s pending arbitration award, we probably even have enough cap space left to add a midrange UFA RHD (Vatanen, Hamonic, etc), if we get Foote (whose extension should come fairly cheap). Or to add a lower range UFA, if we get Cernak (who’s gonna need an extension at 4M+).

Alternatively, we could even bring back Tryamkin for next season. Have him initiate KHL contract termination, and then sign him for something around $2M AAV with a healthy signing bonus to offset his KHL termination fees.

Or just keep the extra cap space, and let our young players and depth guys battle it out to fill thar last RD slot (after Myers and Foote/Cernak).

And as far as Tyler Johnson goes, there’s a decent chance he’d only be here for one season and then go to Seattle in the expansion draft. So I’m not too worried about carrying that salary, or any age related decline concerns. Podkolzin will be coming in 2021-22, anyway.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, shayster007 said:

Do you not see the irony in the statements you are making? You can't cry censorship right after attempting to discredit based off a perceived political stance that has absolutely nothing to do with the subject at hand. Politics have no place on a hockey fan fourm. End of subject.

So why is Lebron and others getting involved....Poltics is part of life and so is hockey....censorship away.

• Wat 2

1 minute ago, Pete M said:

So why is Lebron and others getting involved....Poltics is part of life and so is hockey....censorship away.

Wow... That statement says everything. The fact that you crying liberal when someone disagrees is being compared to a player using his platform to fight for racial injustice says it all.

Edited by shayster007
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, billabong said:

2D316412-D1EA-49B3-B345-C79ED7FF496B.jpeg

I get the joke but including the 1st is silly as I don’t think anyone wouldn’t do the Miler deal again.

We weren’t going to do Marky at 6x6 so that decision was obvious even if it sucked. At least we have a young capable goalie just about to enter his prime.

As for the rest I’ll reserve my judgement until Benning makes some moves. 

• Cheers 4

10 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Ya I can agree with that Sven is pretty much done but he won't be back on the Canucks, I just want him to be gone

Ya I think even Baertschi himself needs a change of scenery... but his $3M+ cap hit is a huge obstacle...  I don't see any teams that are desperate enough to make the cap floor. Will need to throw in a sweetner to dump his salary sadly!!

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

We very well could have shipped out Boeser or Virtanen and kept Toffolli, but while that's fine in theory it's also dependent on who's available. Personally I'd rather keep the younger guys over Toffoli, finding a replacement wasn't ever going to be easy regardless. 

I'd argue that management didn't have a contingency in place for Tanev in part because of the Covid dynamic shifting the cap landscape. They had to make a decision, give him the term he wanted or walk away. And they walked. As explained in my last post, things were already going to be tight next offseason without removing an additional 4.5m from our cap pile.

Gonna be interesting to see who steps into Tanev's spot.

you make good points. I also admit the team might have some kind of plan in place, i just dont see how they fill the 1rhd spot in the near future though.

Agree about keeping Boeser over Toffoli...i brought it up as a point because I dont know how they can fill one of the toughest positions to fill in the NHL without giving up something significant -and RW would have been a position of strength if they signed Toffoli.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

This is a message board and there are threads dedicated to politics. Knock yourself out over there. 

I think you dudes are being overly sensitive to a comment that I regressed on.

Well this is one way to solve our cap space problems. Regardless what happens from here, it's going to be interesting to see how things go for next year. Looks like we're planning ahead for the expansion and big paydays for Hughes and Petey. There's a real possibility the team may not actually sign any big name players this off season to give the team more flexibility for when they can actually start freeing up some cap from the bigger contracts on the team next offseason.