The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

4 minutes ago, Darius said:

Agree with everything you say regarding Boeser vs Toff.   

Now back to your question about what kind of 1RHD would they need.  They need a legit top 4 guy to play on the first pairing.  I defend this management team a lot, but in my mind its a mistake to not have sorted this out earlier unless they thought Tyler Meyers was a legit future replacement....i dont know...  I think we all knew that Tanev, in light of his age and injury history, was probably not the best long term option after his contract expired.  Not addressing the problem earlier now leaves them exposed to too many variables, including market conditions, competing with other teams for trades and UFAs - it doesnt look like a well thought out plan that incorporates the life cycle of some of their contracts...but who knows maybe they are gonna go with what they got, take a step back and then fix the problem with freed up salary dollars in a year or two.

I'm not entirely sure there has been a succession plan in place as far as that position goes tbh. The only RD we currently have in the system who aren't on the team are Woo, Rafferty, Chatfield, and Eliot. Rafferty could surprise, but I don't think that's likely, and I think Woo's at least a couple years from making the bigs. We just don't have a top flight RD prospect in our system. 

Not having acquired on over the last couple years has lead us to where we are now, but at the same time we've spent assets elsewhere. Toffoli and Miller this last year of course. 

I wish I knew what we were going to do, but the Canucks have been very, very quiet. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

They massively overpaid for him. 

I agree

I mentioned before that i thought he would get a 1 or 2 year show me deal.

5.5 is atrocious too

7 year is what nightmares are made of

Edit 

Montreal is now over 81.5 for next year.

Edited by GhostsOf1994
Cap space
  • Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

I'd gladly take Gally off their hands. Love that rat. 

Absolutely.

Doubt he's the guy Bergevin moves but stranger things have happened...especially to/from Montreal.

Gallagher with the Giants was a treat to watch and he's only become better.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Maybe mtl is trading Gallagher?

His money for his next contract just went to Toffoli and Anderson. 

Drouin, tatar on the left?

No way.  Bergevin again confirmed that his top priority is to extend Gallagher.  Even Molson was talking about how he fully supports the decision.  He's their heart and soul player.

Tatar is more likely the one on the trade block in their top-6.  They were disappointed in his post-season and he's likely going to price himself out.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

For starters the offseason isn't even remotely over yet. 

It's easy to say that - and granted it's true - but what are the moves then? 

Free Agent options are dwindling. Theres trades - but then what's the expendable assets (that other teams want)? Not to mention there's alot of other teams with holes to fill looking for favourable contracts aswell.

I think something will happen this week. But right now it's hard to see an improvement being made on last year's roster, unless a young player really surprises.

2 minutes ago, Lionized27 said:

Absolutely.

Doubt he's the guy Bergevin moves but stranger things have happened...especially to/from Montreal.

Gallagher with the Giants was a treat to watch and he's only become better.

Miller Pettersson Boeser

Pearson Horvat Gallagher

Definitely a good looking top 6. At what cost though?

Edited by DeNiro
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

No way.  Bergevin again confirmed that his top priority is to extend Gallagher.  Even Molson was talking about how he fully supports the decision.  He's their heart and soul player.

Tatar is more likely the one on the trade block in their top-6.  They were disappointed in his post-season and he's likely going to price himself out.

Mtl just signed Toffoli and Anderson for 4 and 7 years.

4.250 & 5.5. That's gallys money, no?

15 minutes ago, StanleyCupOneDay said:

I’m not usually a person who criticizes Jim Benning and all the other players we walked away from I can understand even if I liked the players, but I have no idea what he’s doing here. Even as a worse case scenario having Toffoli for part of his contract and then trading him if he didn’t fit/work out/have cap issues would still bring assets back. $4m per year for a top 4/6 forward is an attractive deadline trade asset. I supported the trade at the time due to Toffoli’s play, but now we’ve lost Madden and a 2nd for what exactly? 17 days of a rental? What was the point?

Benning’s made a lot of good moves that our fan base was up in arms over that worked out in the end just fine, but this is a head scratcher and in hindsight he made a very bad trade. I hope JB has the team looking better then as it sits right now come season start time, but for the first time in his tenure I’m a bit concerned about how our team is shaping up.

The answer is term, he didn't want a 4 yr deal and I don't blame him. If we bring in a top six forward we need a two year deal because we have players in the pipeline

• Cheers 2