The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

6 minutes ago, Sbriggs said:

Ya ok, once again JB is NOT done I am sure. You can count on one of OJ, Rathbone or Rafferty will be on the team. I am willing ot bet one of Sven, Sutter or LE will be gone some how some way and will bring us some more cap. The only thing is we have to wait and be patient so as JB do his thing and we see where the chips fall. Im betting no one knew about the JT Miller trade and what that brought to our team was great. Patience

I just want to put the record straight here.  Myself and several other members of this community applauded the JT Miller trade when it went down.  There was a lot of negativity on this board, but many fans recognized it as being a great move by GMJB.

I agree with your sentiment.  JB needs to stay patience and let the opportunities come to him. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Darius said:

One of the RHD they are trying to fill is probably one of the toughest positions to fill in the NHL , #1RHD.  Letting Tanev go is fine, what is not fine in my mind is that they dont look like they have a plan in place to fill one of the most important roles on the team.  They should have sorted this out 2 years ago by moving Tanev while he was younger and filling the role with a younger better player while the team was building and people were expecting some down years. but its easy for me to say sitting in my living room chair.

In my mind letting Toffoli go to the habs for what looks like a very reasonable contract weakens the Canucks' trade position.   If they signed Toffoli, they could use Brock or JV as a trade chip to get a RHD - this is their position of strength.  No toffoli now means if you trade Brock or Jake you create a massive hole on RW.   People keep talking about Podkolzin / Hoglander filling that role but I will believe it when I see it.  I remember the same aspirations we had for Dahlen and Goldy.

I hope im wrong here and JB has something up his sleeve and I will  have a "tadaa" moment realizing how narrow minded I was but right now it doesnt look promising to me.

Just because you don't know the plan, doesn't mean there isn't one.  You legit have no idea what is going on behind the scenes.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I agree with 90% except for Baertschi... he's just not the same player anymore...time to move on from him!! And I'm sure the relationship has been pretty awkward!! 

Yeah - you are right.  Sven isn't the same player.  His season in the hard- hitting, take no prisoners, AHL showed him to be durable, feisty, playing a 200 foot game and used by Cull in all situations.  At camp a year ago, Benning called his play "tentative".  Baertschi sure dispelled that down in Utica.

Edited by Googlie

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

We have 18mill+ coming off the books and more deals can be made to make accommodations for Petey and Hughes. 

I also don’t see them getting the 10+ million dollar contracts that are being thrown around right away. Especially not with a flat cap.

I see a bridge deal of 7-8 mil for a few years. Plenty of time to clear cap and get the next wave of young players in and locked up.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Good price for Montreal but I’m not sure I see the fit. Unless he can play LW he’ll be the 3RW there.  

Beside Brock who else is going to be a top 6 WR in 2020-21 (or I guess it might just be the 2021) season?  Don't say Podz because he's in the K until the end of the season.   I don't think Hogs is going to be given a top six role out of training camp either.  Remember Bo started as 4C.

They should not have qualified Jake then they could have matched 4 x 4.25

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Pretty sure only you think that. The generally community consensus seemed to be that was an unnecessary and annoying comment.

Yeah, make one comment, but others can insult with their condescending, know it all ways....Yeah, okay.

26 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The problem here is the Canucks were on an upward trajectory with:

1) their MVP goalie who won them most games they didn’t even deserve to win

2) a good top 6 forward who finally gave Bo someone to play with and helped the power play.

3) a lifelong Canuck defenceman who sacrificed his body each game and played hard and well

All 3 are now gone. We had the cap space but weren’t even able to sign even one of them (this one particular signing with TT was easily attainable).

Holtby is an ok goalie but not Marky. Demko had just 3 fantastic games in the playoffs and is not a measure for an entire season (he was just ok).

Trades are don’t seem to be easy this season and JB does not look willing to give up important futures.  

You tell me how this next season is not going to be a disaster? Explain it to me, please.

Well unless we trade/or sign free agents, we not a playoff team, and if people think we are with current roster ( even with hogs or any of the other kids in the wings ) than they are delusional....we basically going backwards, and if we dont get improvements in certain roles, than our recent playoff run was for nothing, cause the new kids who come in will take a couple years to gain experience and learn the NHL ...ive basically accepted the fact we a couple more years till we can compete, and i think JB knows this aswell, why he didnt resign TT and let others go ....

Only player i knew would be let go was markstrom, and that was cause of seatle comming in and we couldnt protect 2 goalies 

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I also don’t see them getting the 10+ million dollar contracts that are being thrown around right away. Especially not with a flat cap.

I see a bridge deal of 7-8 mil for a few years. Plenty of time to clear cap and get the next wave of young players in and locked up.

Exactly. Even after signing Petey and Hughes you want to leave some cap room. Just squeezing them in and leaving no cap space turns the Canucks into another top-heavy mess like Edmonton and Toronto are right now. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Virtanen#18 said:

I agree with 90% except for Baertschi... he's just not the same player anymore...time to move on from him!! And I'm sure the relationship has been pretty awkward!! 

Ya I can agree with that Sven is pretty much done but he won't be back on the Canucks, I just want him to be gone

8 minutes ago, Darius said:

One of the RHD they are trying to fill is probably one of the toughest positions to fill in the NHL , #1RHD.  Letting Tanev go is fine, what is not fine in my mind is that they dont look like they have a plan in place to fill one of the most important roles on the team.  They should have sorted this out 2 years ago by moving Tanev while he was younger and filling the role with a younger better player while the team was building and people were expecting some down years. but its easy for me to say sitting in my living room chair.

In my mind letting Toffoli go to the habs for what looks like a very reasonable contract weakens the Canucks' trade position.   If they signed Toffoli, they could use Brock or JV as a trade chip to get a RHD - this is their position of strength.  No toffoli now means if you trade Brock or Jake you create a massive hole on RW.   People keep talking about Podkolzin / Hoglander filling that role but I will believe it when I see it.  I remember the same aspirations we had for Dahlen and Goldy.

I hope im wrong here and JB has something up his sleeve and I will  have a "tadaa" moment realizing how narrow minded I was but right now it doesnt look promising to me.

We very well could have shipped out Boeser or Virtanen and kept Toffolli, but while that's fine in theory it's also dependent on who's available. Personally I'd rather keep the younger guys over Toffoli, finding a replacement wasn't ever going to be easy regardless. 

I'd argue that management didn't have a contingency in place for Tanev in part because of the Covid dynamic shifting the cap landscape. They had to make a decision, give him the term he wanted or walk away. And they walked. As explained in my last post, things were already going to be tight next offseason without removing an additional 4.5m from our cap pile.

Gonna be interesting to see who steps into Tanev's spot.

Edited by Coconuts

3 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Yeah, make one comment, but others can insult with their condescending, know it all ways....Yeah, okay.

Pardon me? That was fact. You had about 4 or 5 posters immediately ask you to simply leave politics out of hockey talk. Been around a long time and can't remember the last tome CDC immediately agreed on something so whole heartedly. 

Edited by shayster007
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, danaimo said:

I just want to put the record straight here.  Myself and several other members of this community applauded the JT Miller trade when it went down.  There was a lot of negativity on this board, but many fans recognized it as being a great move by GMJB.

I agree with your sentiment.  JB needs to stay patience and let the opportunities come to him. 

I was not one of them I can be sure, patience thats the key for JB here

• Cheers 1