The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

2 hours ago, 70seven said:

I’m actually quite happy with not spending on term.  When this teams core is ready to compete, we will have the $$ available at the right time. 

Toffoli was a solid fit...  but not a necessary component.  Any $$ needs to be allotted to defence. 

There’s still a tonne of options, especially via trade as teams settle after FA. 

Calm down Nuck Nation.  Everything is going to be just fine. 

I agree. Our time starts 2 years from now. Sometimes you gotta step back to move forward. 

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, samurai said:

Tanev misses 25 plus games a year, Markstrom or Demko was the choice. Toffoli’s best days are behind him. Troy is an okay D.  

No question teams are thinking about keeping salary down to maintain cash flow.  

Toffoli is only 28...

Just now, Pete M said:

mmmm....I hope this team finds a way to score goals, we saw what the bottom six did in the playoffs, and losing a top 6 forward will put more pressure on the bottom six to contribute. Time will tell to how this team will look like starting the season....a downward pressure on salary and term doesn't bode well for attracting good players

Losing a top six opens the door to at least one of Hoglander/Putsgoalsin to step up.

I also strongly believe there's a trade in the works for a a RHD. If not trade, signing.

Attracting good players has nothing at all to do with the current economic environment. It's up to the player(s) to decide their destination and role on that team. If players want to come to Vancouver and be a part of the uptick here, they'll either accept what's offered or go somewhere else for a more prominent role or more money/term. There's nothing Benning can control from that aspect.

The "sky is falling/fire Benning" crowd is entertaining (I don't mean you in particular). There's plenty of time between now and training camp.

Patience is key.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

Just now, KelownaCanucksFan said:

Great so we gave up madden and a 2nd for 17 games, couldn’t get him at that price? Maybe the OEL deal isn’t dead, that’s the only thing that I can think of, if not then there’s bigger questions to be asked about the direction of this team 

The alternative was playing Loui on the top line. I’ll take 17 games of Toffoli all day, twice on Sunday. 

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Well which dman did Benning get?

Doesn’t mean because we didn’t get it really got now, that we need to throw money other places just for fun.

can settle for 1 year, show me what you got deal, then wait to commit long term during TDL, draft or next UFA.

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm not sure either, but I suppose I could answer your question with a question? What's the expectation for a 1RD on this club? It's very rare that teams have both a true #1LD and #1RD, in fact there may only be a handful of teams in the league with both. I certainly wouldn't call Tanev a #1RD, and while I know that's not what you were implying, that's the spot he was likely playing in. 

Don't we just need someone who can play some heavier minutes, chip in with Hughes, while playing respectable defense? That's still not easy to find, but perhaps many fans are assuming the pedigree of such a player has to be higher than needed? 

As for Boeser and Toffoli..

Toffoli's peak production thus far in his career is 58 points, that was done in the 15-16 season. Or 4-5 seasons ago when he was 23-24. He's also hit 47 and 49. He's now 28.

To get those totals Tofu played 82, 82, and 76 games respectively.

In his first three full seasons Boeser's put up 55, 56, and 45 points. 

He's done that in 62, 69, and 57 games respectively. He's 23. 

Tofu obviously stayed healthy those seasons whereas Brock hasn't been so fortunate. But the offensive upside is undisputable. Health in hockey is also a bit of a wildcard, it's not as if Brock doesn't take his conditioning or health seriously. I wouldn't say he's prone to putting himself in vulnerable spots. 

I'd much rather keep Brock and his upside instead of Tofu and whoever we traded Brock for. But I suppose that opens up the question of who you could get for Brock. But with Tofu signed in Montreal that's not neither here nor there. 

Agree with everything you say regarding Boeser vs Toff.   

Now back to your question about what kind of 1RHD would they need.  They need a legit top 4 guy to play on the first pairing.  I defend this management team a lot, but in my mind its a mistake to not have sorted this out earlier unless they thought Tyler Meyers was a legit future replacement....i dont know...  I think we all knew that Tanev, in light of his age and injury history, was probably not the best long term option after his contract expired.  Not addressing the problem earlier now leaves them exposed to too many variables, including market conditions, competing with other teams for trades and UFAs - it doesnt look like a well thought out plan that incorporates the life cycle of some of their contracts...but who knows maybe they are gonna go with what they got, take a step back and then fix the problem with freed up salary dollars in a year or two.

52 minutes ago, Cali Canuck said:

Beside Brock who else is going to be a top 6 WR in 2020-21 (or I guess it might just be the 2021) season?  Don't say Podz because he's in the K until the end of the season.   I don't think Hogs is going to be given a top six role out of training camp either.  Remember Bo started as 4C.

They should not have qualified Jake then they could have matched 4 x 4.25

I’m talking about Montreal. He’ll be 3RW behind Gallagher and Anderson 

Edited by qwijibo

I’m not usually a person who criticizes Jim Benning and all the other players we walked away from I can understand even if I liked the players, but I have no idea what he’s doing here. Even as a worse case scenario having Toffoli for part of his contract and then trading him if he didn’t fit/work out/have cap issues would still bring assets back. $4m per year for a top 4/6 forward is an attractive deadline trade asset. I supported the trade at the time due to Toffoli’s play, but now we’ve lost Madden and a 2nd for what exactly? 17 days of a rental? What was the point?

Benning’s made a lot of good moves that our fan base was up in arms over that worked out in the end just fine, but this is a head scratcher and in hindsight he made a very bad trade. I hope JB has the team looking better then as it sits right now come season start time, but for the first time in his tenure I’m a bit concerned about how our team is shaping up.