The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

5 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The problem here is the Canucks were on an upward trajectory with:

1) their MVP goalie who won them most games they didn’t even deserve to win

2) a good top 6 forward who finally gave Bo someone to play with and helped the power play.

3) a lifelong Canuck defenceman who sacrificed his body each game and played hard and well

All 3 are now gone. We had the cap space but weren’t even able to sign even one of them (this one particular signing with TT was easily attainable).

Holtby is an ok goalie but not Marky. Demko had just 3 fantastic games in the playoffs and is not a measure for an entire season (he was just ok).

Trades are don’t seem to be easy this season and JB does not look willing to give up important futures.  

You tell me how this next season is not going to be a disaster? Explain it to me, please.

I’ll give you five names as the reasons why. Petey. Bo. Quinn. Miller. Brock.

Last I checked these players drove the bus that was the Canucks, not Toffoli, not Tanev, and certainly not Stecher. 

The caveat is goaltending. But it’s not really ever any kind of reasonable argument. After Demko’s performance against Vegas, it all but sealed what was to come. Giving Markstrom the deal Calgary gave him would be a big mistake. Demko showed potential to be just as good as Markstrom at a younger age and cost. He fits with the teams age group better. 

If Demko/Holtby provide capable goaltending I can easily see this team not regressing. 

6 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

2) a good top 6 forward who finally gave Bo someone to play with and helped the power play.

3) a lifelong Canuck defenceman who sacrificed his body each game and played hard and well

All 3 are now gone. We had the cap space but weren’t even able to sign even one of them (this one particular signing with TT was easily attainable).

Holtby is an ok goalie but not Marky. Demko had just 3 fantastic games in the playoffs and is not a measure for an entire season (he was just ok).

Trades are don’t seem to be easy this season and JB does not look willing to give up important futures.  

You tell me how this next season is not going to be a disaster? Explain it to me, please.

Oh - I didn't realize that Marky had won a Vezina and a Jennings, and wore a Stanley Cup ring.   Must have slept thru it.  Will change my name to Rip van Googlie

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, danaimo said:

Except they are now over the salary cap with only 22 players on their roster.  If you think MTL did so well, you have to account for the  consequence of this signing in what moves they are going to have to make to be cap compliant. They no longer have any cap flexibility. Were they able to do it ? maybe, maybe not.

They show 8 Ds but Ouellet was signed on a two-way deal for the AHL.  Laval is just besides Montreal so they don't need to carry a roster of 23 at home.

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

Oh - I didn't realize that Marky had won a Vezina and a Jennings, and wore a Stanley Cup ring.   Must have slept thru it.  Will change my name to Rip van Googlie

He was ranked 4th in NHL voting this last season and many thought he was robbed of the nomination. He was truly our MVP. Did you watch any games last season?

I'm happy for Tyler, decent deal and Bergevin is pushing all the chips in. Nice fit. 

Sad for losing the 2nd rounder tho.. not so much Madden Smurf but would have liked to seen TT here. 

Edited by Robert Long
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Marky was likely always on his way out, I think most people realized him and Demko weren't both going to be here at the time of the expansion draft. Not with Marky having expansion protection anyway. It's tough, because obviously a bunch of fans were emotionally invested in him, but that's hockey. 

Having Tofu in our top six was nice, but at the time we could fit him in capwise. We're in a different place now with the cap having stagnated, and he's more of a luxury than he was. Our focus has to be on improving our D, Tofu isn't going to help keep pucks out of our net the same way and actual D replacement will. We've also got wingers on the way in Lind, Hoglander, and Podz. We've also currently got Jake, we're still paying Baer, and Leivo could very well be back. 

Tanev finally played a full season for the first time at age 29-30. He'll be 31 in December. JB clearly decide he didn't want to give Tanev the term he was looking for, so he went and got it elsewhere. Could be plenty of reasons for that. Lack of durability, concerns about how his game ages, his lack of offense, simply wanting a different fit, or any number of other reasons. We'll see what happens, we're four days in.

Holtby doesn't need to be Marky, he's won more than Marky ever has and had fantastic years in Washington. He'll be sharing the net with an up and comer in Demko, and likely bounce back looking better this season with the help of Ian Clark. He's also just turned 31, he should have gas in the tank. We'll see. 

I agree that trades aren't easy, and dumping cap is likely more expensive than ever. I'm not interested in dumping cap unless it's for something spectacular, we need those futures. 

We're four days in. Our goaltending is solidified, we've got two RD to find and lots of time to explore the trade market, ect. Tofu leaving isn't a disaster, it's an opportunity for someone else. Same with Tanev and Stecher. Does it hurt to see guys go? Of course, but that's just the nature of sports. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1