The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

Just now, Screw said:

I have a hard time believing there is simply no plan and this is all just bumbling by the GM.

The thing is they probably had a plan and then the whole OEL thing fell into his lap.

He likely used a lot of his time and focus trying to get that done with the fall back plan of signing Tanev. Which we all know how that went.

Im thinking they went back to the drawing board and are likely now executing a completely new plan.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Beagle shouldn't be lumped in with that group his experience is valuable as is his face off work, it's no surprise between Malholtra and Beagle’s work here our face off numbers have improved dramatically. 

Agree. And Roussel has had a bad concussion and a bad knee injury after signing so he's somewhat excused for not shining.

It's also worth noting that apart from Motte, Beagle and Roussel are the only consistently physical forwards on the team. I think Benning knew all along that he overpayed with both money and term to get these guys but decided it was worth it because of team needs. Can't say I disagree.

• Cheers 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Considering where we're at due to term + Covid uncertainty it is easy to see why. 

In a couple years when Hughes and Pettersson's ELCs expire, we'll be laughing.

Patience, Benning is playing the long game.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Fair.

He’s learned from his past mistakes.

His past mistakes have proven costly though.

Eriksson is really the only egregious one. Sutter was very durable until he got here sadly. He’s been solid when healthy to be fair. 

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The thing is they probably had a plan and then the whole OEL thing fell into his lap.

He likely used a lot of his time and focus trying to get that done with the fall back plan of signing Tanev. Which we all know how that went.

Im thinking they went back to the drawing board and are likely now executing a completely new plan.

That is assuming that the management can't walk and  chew gum at the same time.

I would think they could work on  a few things at the same time.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Screw said:

That is assuming that the management can't walk and  chew gum at the same time.

I would think they could work on  a few things at the same time.

Yea but it was clear everything else was on the back burner until the OEL situation was resolved.

In the meantime any plan B they might have had (Tanev/Barrie) already made their decisions.

This may be part of the original plan as a contingency but I don’t believe it was part of their original plan.

Just now, DeNiro said:

Yea but it was clear everything else was on the back burner until the OEL situation was resolved.

In the meantime any plan B they might have had (Tanev/Barrie) already made their decisions.

This may be part of the original plan as a contingency but I don’t believe it was part of their original plan.

Barrie seems to be betting on himself to cash out next deal. Team already seemed ok to move from Tanev considering health is a legitimate concern as good as he is. 

1 minute ago, 24K PureCool said:

Whatever JB is cooking he needs to cook it faster. Running out of backup plans here.

Maybe the plan is and always has been to do nothing. Gotta say, making absolutely sure we can sign Hughes and Petey is pretty important. And if Demko really does develop into that starter. He's gonna be looking at 4-5+. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

Hearing on 1040 that there is no NTC or NMC.

So Toffoli said he wanted to stay, gave JB lots of time to figure it out and ended up signing elsewhere for less than his previous contract. I guess that 10 points in 10 games wasn’t worth that eh Jim?  :picard:

Term the issue was term not hard to figure out.