The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canadiens sign Tyler Toffoli

20 minutes ago, Pete M said:

giving up Madden and a second to sign Toffoli with no intention of resigning him is dumb. He did it to save his ass....short term thinking. It's all about JB

Yea a lot of people said TT was a rental. I never liked the deal myself. 

TT is another player that is overrated in my books. We tend to overrste our guys on here.

Next year might be tough but we'll be stronger in the long term. Just not as quick to the top as we all want but we just need more time.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

You have over 16,000 posts fatboy. 

That alone is sad

Every post you've made in this thread is negative or cutting other members down.

Quality poster! You add so much to the community!

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. Instead attempting to discredit other members of our forum, why don't you start by not name calling and acting like an online bully. It's unnecessary.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

That's a fun proposition.

Taking on Johnson's cap in exchange for Cernak is a really interesting proposition, both players that'd fill holes in the Canucks roster, since Johnson currently has negative value for TB and greatly diminishes their ask on Cernak. 

Your right taking on Johnson does greatly diminish the ask for Cernak but I cannot see any way that JB commits $20m for the next 4 years to Johnson.  This would turn into an anchor contract for VAN.  Teams signing non elite players to 2+ year contracts are going to regret it big time in the years ahead.  Term and salary are crucial in todays NHL

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, Pete M said:

what?...bro, please explain why he gave up Madden and a second to sign Toffoli for 17 games....let me guess, to only make the playoffs? and then let your UFAs walk after the playoff experience? Explain away 

Boeser was hurt, we needed a replacement for the playoff push. In a perfect world the season would have continued, Boeser would have come back, and we would have gone into the playoffs with additional depth. 

And yeah, playoffs was stated to be the goal from day one last season. We gave up Madden and a 2nd for a playoff run, and we played at a level far beyond what most pundits were expecting.

JB and co didn't have a crystal ball telling them the season would be derailed, the trade market would be more expensive than ever, or that the cap would flatten and say "ahh, &^@# it, let's get Toffoli anyway"

Bo, Petey, Hughes, Boeser, and Demko all showed up come playoff time. Without Demko's performance do we still keep him over Marky? Probably, but who's to say that didn't impact how we've approached our goaltending.

We're in a pinch capwise, and improving our D is currently more important than re-signing Toffoli. We've got wingers in the wings anyway in Lind, Podz, and Hoglander. That's without the possibility we bring back Leivo, or give Baer another chance. Oh, and Jake. Toffoli fit last season given the cap scenario, now he's a luxury and JB doesn't seem keen on handing out term. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

Y'all need to take a deep breath and enjoy some of that fine Canada marijuana.

There is still a lot that will happen before the season.  We weren't winning the cup fielding the same team as last year.  And deep down we all know we weren't winning the cup this upcoming year anyway. Toffoli hurts but new blood is needed.  Those Tanev and Markstrom contracts are scary and I'm glad we passed.

This is a longer term process.  Petey and Hughes aren't getting $10M next year and we'll have a lot off the books to go about this in a better way.  

We need to be patient and build a contender for the next decade not just a few years.  I'm excited about some of the young guns coming in and getting a shot to crack the line up.

Edited by Dave K
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It's been explained to you. Not our fault you won't/can't accept it. 

SMH, blame it on CoVID....okay, to sign a top 6 forward who is 28 years old to a 4 year $4.25M is very affordable...Montreal was able to do it.

• Wat 1

5 minutes ago, Pete M said:

what?...bro, please explain why he gave up Madden and a second to sign Toffoli for 17 games....let me guess, to only make the playoffs? and then let your UFAs walk after the playoff experience? Explain away 

c'mon, you're not truly that obtuse.

because I don't care to re-explain myself yet again, I'm going to answer a question with a question and let you do the work.

Why would Arizona sign their captain to an 8 year deal with an unmodified NMC - and then ask him one year later for a list of team's they can trade him to?

• Cheers 1

Just now, Chris12345 said:

Yea a lot of people said TT was a rental. I never liked the deal myself. 

TT is another player that is overrated in my books. We tend to overrste our guys on here.

Next year might be tough but we'll be stronger in the long term. Just not as quick to the top as we all want but we just need more time.

Overrated or not he was a necessary move to replace Boeser who was originally gone for the year until Covid happened.

1 minute ago, shayster007 said:

Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black. Instead attempting to discredit other members of our forum, why don't you start by not name calling and acting like an online bully. It's unnecessary.

How about you scroll through this thread and see who the bully is my man,  all I'm doing is standing up to the bully.

29 minutes ago, bree2 said:

lol so where are the defensemen that Benning has signed? 

The season hasn't started yet, I think you need to be patient like most on here. You want to complain wait til the season starts and you can have plenty of time to judge JB for the entire season

• Cheers 2

8 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

How about you scroll through this thread and see who the bully is my man,  all I'm doing is standing up to the bully.

I don't need to scroll through, I could honestly care less. I went through the last few pages and it's all you saying things like this. Who knows, maybe the other poster started it. Doesn't mean you get a free pass to spend pages of a fan page insulting people. Would say the same thing to a kid why uses the excuse "well he started it"

Edited by shayster007
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Reading overreactions like these are why I hardly bother with these forums anymore.

Are people just unable to think beyond last year?

i think everyone is just upset at all the signings and Benning has not done anything but sign holtby and let others walk

Stinks losing Toffoli but I agree it seems like JB wants nothing to do with long term this offseason. 

Really looks like they’re 100% focused on letting the decks clear themselves over the next two seasons. I wonder if FA is okay with treading water during that time as “bubble” teams but not true contenders. 

On the bright side, Jake, Podkolzin and Hoglander have opportunity in the top 6.

• Cheers 1