The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

3 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

He mentioned something about some teams might not like him cuz he asked for a change in teams or something. Something along the lines of wanting to play more for his own development. 

Management wants him to play for the U-20 team but Lysell didn't want to play for the U-20 team. He considers himself to be too good for playing in the juniors team. Sounds to me  like Tryamkin who thought he owns a right for a spot on the Canucks team even being not in shape at all.

no, thanks. Way better players available at 9, if Canucks keep the pick.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

12 hours ago, Alflives said:

So the Hawks, when in their rebuild, picking Skillie at 8 and Barker at three had bad scouts?  Those same scouts drafted their three Cup winning key players during that same time.  All teams have misses during their rebuilding drafts.  It’s wether the scouts can find players with later picks to cover for those misses that’s key.  Benning, and his staff, have covered Jake and OJ with Hoglander and Bone.  Plus we got Demko in round two.  We have several good young prospects coming along too, who will be pushing for spots ove4 the next few seasons.  We actually look really good.  Thinking we aren’t drafting really well is:

image.gif.c2a2a780e6065283692ba6d86d4f92e2.gif

Highonhockey does have a point though… its supposed to be an advantage to pick at the top of the draft, so the better job your scouts do, the better the prospect should be…..in theory. Otherwise whats the point of the draft order and money spent on scouts…
Fortunately the aspect of the future development is an uncertain, which has given us EP, Brock and Hogs… and less fortunately Jake…

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Highonhockey does have a point though… its supposed to be an advantage to pick at the top of the draft, so the better job your scouts do, the better the prospect should be…..in theory. Otherwise whats the point of the draft order and money spent on scouts…
Fortunately the aspect of the future development is an uncertain, which has given us EP, Brock and Hogs… and less fortunately Jake…

Except scouting and drafting isn’t a science.  These are 18 year old boys who are being drafted, who have a lot of developing to do.  So all teams have misses in their top picks during their rebuilding years.  I pointed out the Hawks had two huge misses in Skille (8OA) and Barker (3OA).  The quality of the team’s overall drafting during the rebuild is what’s important.  And during the Benning era ours has been very good.  We have an elite young core, and more youth coming.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Alflives said:

Except scouting and drafting isn’t a science.  These are 18 year old boys who are being drafted, who have a lot of developing to do.  So all teams have misses in their top picks during their rebuilding years.  I pointed out the Hawks had two huge misses in Skille (8OA) and Barker (3OA).  The quality of the team’s overall drafting during the rebuild is what’s important.  And during the Benning era ours has been very good.  We have an elite young core, and more youth coming.  

Absolutely and don’t disagree, but drafting is a science… Don’t see the point in wasting money on scouts if all you do is looking at MacKenzies or Robinsons list and take it from there. I agree, there are huge drop and fails Guddy as well as the 2 you mentioned Poliot as well, but you hope to or at least try to minimize the chances of picking a bust by going into all the details… but yes $&!# happens, and a lot of folks don’t seem to get that, when slagging off JB for drafting Jake or OJ. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

image.gif.f8f4c2fcc65cfa95325f415c898db144.gif

I hope you're right, just think GMJB is gonna go on a spending spree in the 2022 offseason after the albatross contracts and cap recapture penalty expire after this upcoming season. Still need to resign BB too.

Gotta repeat the cycle. :lol:

18 hours ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Johnson, Turris, Newhook and Jost all have very similar numbers in their breakout BCHL year, the only difference is Johnson was a year younger when he did it. Turris, Jost and Newhook played their draft eligible year in the BCHL and tore it up whereas Johnson had his monster season a year younger then those players and played his draft eligible year in the NCAA and scored over a PPG as a true freshman. 

Sure you could say he's a year younger. I say he's closer to a year older. Fact remains that those born in September - January of their draft year tend to have a lower upside potential compared to their draft eligible peers drafted April - August. This is particularly pronounced with top pairing defensemen in the NHL for whatever reason. If you don't believe me pull a random assortment of the best defensemen in the league and I guarantee you a high probability will be from those birth month I highlighted. I find this indicator less reliable for forwards but still applies. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Sure you could say he's a year younger. I say he's closer to a year older. Fact remains that those born in September - January of their draft year tend to have a lower upside potential compared to their draft eligible peers drafted April - August. This is particularly pronounced with top pairing defensemen in the NHL for whatever reason. If you don't believe me pull a random assortment of the best defensemen in the league and I guarantee you a high probability will be from those birth month I highlighted. I find this indicator less reliable for forwards but still applies. 

Agreed.  Some guys are almost a full year more physically developed than others in their draft.  With D, who tend to be taller than the forwards, these younger guys are often still quite thin.  So they have a lot of filling out to do.  

I really hope Luke Hughes falls to us, or we trade up to get him.  He is one of those with the late birthday (September 9, 03)

And he clearly at 6’2 and 175 has a lot of filling out left.  

20 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Suzuki must have the genetics for it, you can't put on that much muscle that fast without that or... "help". 

Brandt Clarke put 10lbs on this past year and was hoping to go from 190 to 200 before NHL training camp this coming season. It is possible, some people will have a harder time but there are lots of nutritionists etc that have a boat load of information in this area to help people reach their goals. I highly doubt Suzuki is taking steroids...rarely ever hear of an NHL player test positive for that, minus our own Nate Schmidt who was suspended for some abnormality or something back when he was with Vegas I believe.

1 minute ago, Canuckster86 said:

Brandt Clarke put 10lbs on this past year and was hoping to go from 190 to 200 before NHL training camp this coming season. It is possible, some people will have a harder time but there are lots of nutritionists etc that have a boat load of information in this area to help people reach their goals. I highly doubt Suzuki is taking steroids...rarely ever hear of an NHL player test positive for that, minus our own Nate Schmidt who was suspended for some abnormality or something back when he was with Vegas I believe.

I would be surprised if that was the case too, I think younger players are way too smart to juice up. Its just a heck of a lot of muscle to put on a smaller frame. 

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

Even if Johnson is slightly older then his draft class he was still younger then those players when they had their BCHL and first NCAA seasons

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

Lol. you're right that Marv wasn't precise in his statement, but this isn't something that is open to interpretation or debate. In his D-1 season he was a few months younger than those other players mentioned. Now in his draft season he's closer to a year older. That's how late birthdays work.

As for your April-August theory, it is a neat theory, but "pull a random assortment of the best defensemen in the league" does not make a fact. Just off the top of my head, Cale Makar, Victor Hedman, Seth Jones were late birthdays. Not saying you're wrong, but I would need a much better argument to be convinced.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Even if Johnson is slightly older then his draft class he was still younger then those players when they had their BCHL and first NCAA seasons

Very true.  Plus Johnson is a tall and skinny baby face.  He’s got lots of physical maturing to do still.  Other guys might be younger, but they could have matured earlier.  McTavish already can grow a full beard.  There is always the ‘man amongst boys’ concern with some draft age guys.  

Edited by Alflives
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, stanleysteamersmyl said:
Kent Johnson:  I grew up in East Van, it would be a dream come true if I was drafted by my hometown team.
Pick him GMGB

Player Facts
Date of Birth
Position
C
Height
6'1" / 185 cm
Place of Birth
Weight
165 lbs / 75 kg
Nation
Shoots
L
Contract
-
Agency

Grew up in East Van.  He must be tough.  Draft him.  

::D

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TGokou said:

Also guys like Pettersson, Makar, Hughes, Brady Tkachuk, Noah Dobson, Dach, Caufield, Stutzle and Lafreniere are all guys drafted high in the last few drafts and also drafted in your “lower upside” months. Looks like that’s more myth than fact

7 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Very true.  Plus Johnson is a tall and skinny baby face.  He’s got lots of physical maturing to do still.  Other guys might be younger, but they could have matured earlier.  McTavish already can grow a full beard.  There is always the ‘man amongst boys’ concern with some draft age guys.  

I agree. Being half a year older then guys in your draft class doesn’t mean he’ll stop developing before them either haha. Markstrom steadily improved throughout his mid to late 20s and had his best season at 30. Not all players take the same path so his argument was very weak and just not correct 

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Which player(s) in the Top 10 are most likely to be a bust? 

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Geunther, Edvinsson and Johnson

Incorrect. Edvinsson would obviously be top of the list, and Johnson, sure, I can see the argument there. But not Guenther. Of course there's a chance anyone busts, but the chance for Guenther to is one of the lowest in the draft.

Of course it depends what you mean by "bust". Some rough comparables are T.J. Oshie, Nino Niederreiter, Alex Killorn, Max Pacioretty, Kyle Palmieri. If he's picked in the top two or three, and develops along the weaker end of that list, that probably wouldn't be the best pick (a la Niederraiter), but if he somehow falls to 9, that's about as safe a pick as you're gonna get.

Obviously if one of the goalies goes top ten, they would have to rank high on likely bust candidates. Nothing against either of them, but it's just the nature of the position.

Edited by HighOnHockey
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1