The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

Just now, Alflives said:

If we come out of this draft with two of those three it’s a huge win for us.  I see Edvinson going for sure top five, so we won’t get him.  And Morrow will go in the 20-30 range, so we won’t get him either.  

A lot needs to happen to make this come true. Like an above poster said you need Guenther to go early (very likely) but you’d also need both McTavish and Wellstedt to go before our pick. There’s either that or trader Jim moves up to Detroit’s pick!

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, TGokou said:

Not making a case for Kent Johnson as a comparable stylistic wise but based on previous players who have gone through the BCHL system such as Kyle Turris, Tyson Jost and Alex Newhook and their very comparable D+1 NCAA seasons I can see Kent Johnson going anywhere from 7-11. Since Johnson is practically a year older than most of these comparables his draft season is most comparable with the aforementioned D+1 where most of them were either ppg or slightly over ppg. Personally I see an upside cap of anywhere between .4-.8 ppg which would equate to  30pt-60 pt per season. Mind you this is a small comparable and if they felt that Johnson could vastly improve based on opportunities and/or coaching I could see teams willing to reach a little higher. Personally I don't see the huge potential in a player like this if Canucks wanted to take a swing at a big game player but I think his floor is 3rd line center and his ceiling is 2nd line center. With a choice between Edvinsson and Johnson I'd be willing to go Edvinsson. Edvinsson could take longer to develop but I think Edvinsson will be a a decent 2nd pairing D floor with potential for top pairing potential.

Johnson, Turris, Newhook and Jost all have very similar numbers in their breakout BCHL year, the only difference is Johnson was a year younger when he did it. Turris, Jost and Newhook played their draft eligible year in the BCHL and tore it up whereas Johnson had his monster season a year younger then those players and played his draft eligible year in the NCAA and scored over a PPG as a true freshman. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, AC Readership said:

I know it's very early to speculate, don't think the Canucks will have enough money to resign Miller as it'll come down to either keeping Horvat or Miller.

And money is exactly why it’s important the guy we draft at 9OA contributes during his elc.  Might be Johnson or McTavish, but either of those two would need to contribute so there is money for guys like Bo and Miller.  As long as we aren’t stupid like Toronto and have three guys at 11 mil per, we should be just fine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Is Rosen this years Caufield? Just watching Rosen I think he might be the most dynamic shooter in this draft. We can talk about Lucius and Stankoven as well. But I think Rosen possibly has the best touch in terms of scoring from absolutely everywhere and the ability to create his own chances. 

If Rosen is available with our 2nd round pick, that's a massive win (assuming we pick him)

Trevor Wong should be available in the 2nd or 3rd round. A really good player, a centre and wins faceoffs. A bit smallish at 5'8 at 154 though, but very skilled. Doesn't play small.

Also a BC boy. Big fan of the Canucks.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

A bust is someone who doesn’t play or contribute to a team. Turris wasn’t a star but he was far from a bust, a responsible defensive C that averaged .56 points a game. With your logic someone like Manny Malhotra is a bust because he was drafted at 7 and didn’t produce offensively like you’d hope. If you draft a guy and he plays limited games or doesn’t do anything to help the team, sure he’s a bust, but everyone you draft (regardless of where they were drafted) that plays regularly and contributes to the team isn’t a bust at all. Might not be a home run pick but you just need to find players that help each year and hit a couple home runs in between

I have to disagree with you both here. I mean, maybe we're just arguing terminology and "bust" isn't exactly the correct term for Manny Malhotra, Ryan Murray, Sam Bennett, Alex Galchenyuk, Erik Johsnon, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, but draft positioning needs to be taken into account relative to success. If you're a contending team and you're picking well into the 20s every year, then yeah you're happy to just get solid NHL players most of the time, but if you're picking in the top 5 or 10 and getting the same players, that is a failure of your scouting staff.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

Trevor Wong should be available in the 2nd or 3rd round. A really good player, a centre and wins faceoffs. A bit smallish at 5'8 at 154 though, but very skilled. Doesn't play small.

Also a BC boy. Big fan of the Canucks.

Where is he projected? who does he compare too? Most recent scouting report I found in 2018 and pits him as a considerable offensive talent.

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

I have to disagree with you both here. I mean, maybe we're just arguing terminology and "bust" isn't exactly the correct term for Manny Malhotra, Ryan Murray, Sam Bennett, Alex Galchenyuk, Erik Johsnon, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, but draft positioning needs to be taken into account relative to success. If you're a contending team and you're picking well into the 20s every year, then yeah you're happy to just get solid NHL players most of the time, but if you're picking in the top 5 or 10 and getting the same players, that is a failure of your scouting staff.

A lot of prospects don’t develop the way you’d hope they would. But if you get a guy that doesn’t meet or exceed expectations but is a player that contributes that’s not a bust, is it disappointing? Sure but not a bust. If you take a guy like Yakupov that’s out of the league after a few years then it’s a bust. The goal is to find players that play, obviously in the best case scenario these guys reach their potential but that doesn’t happen all that often. When you see the comparables these players get on draft day it’s ridiculous and makes it hard for players to reach their lofty expectations. I absolutely love Kent Johnson and he’s who I want at 9 but Button saying his comparable is Pettersson is crazy, if that was truly his comparable then he’d be going 1. Raffi Torres isn’t who you ideally want at 5 overall, you’d prefer a Jagr but he still played a role so I don’t think that can be considered a bust but a Griffin Reinhart at 4 is certainly a bust

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1