The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

19 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Ummmm, I think I'll come back later. I'm sure you'll have changed your mind by then. :lol: Ha, no seriously I'll trust JB but I don't think we're reaching for him at 9. You never know though. I'm getting ready to have my mind blown with this draft, something crazy is going to happen. I just hope we're not the headliner!

Trading down a couple spots, and then taking Ceulemans, while adding another top-50 pick, would be an interesting play.

I think Ceulemans is generally underrated in the public rankings (especially the ones that have him ranked in the 50’s), although maybe not enough to warrant a top-10 pick. Even if that’s where his true value is, I think he’s likely going to be available later in the draft than 9OA, so it could be a smart move to trade down, pick up an additional early 2nd round pick, and then take Ceulemans somewhere in the teens.

That’s if the Canucks are really high on Ceulemans. I’m still leaning toward taking the consensus BPA top-10 guy who falls to us. But I wouldn’t be upset with Ceulemans and an extra pick.

• Vintage 4

8 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Wasn't a very good 3rd C. Better suited at wing.

Might have a case of Baertschitis where he isn't good enough defensively to be on a checking line and isn't skilled enough offensively to be in the top 6.

We will see how he end up next year.

Actually gaudette was better suited for the taxi squad lol

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Trading down a couple spots, and then taking Ceulemans, while adding another top-50 pick, would be an interesting play.

I think Ceulemans is generally underrated in the public rankings (especially the ones that have him ranked in the 50’s), although maybe not enough to warrant a top-10 pick. Even if that’s where his true value is, I think he’s likely going to be available later in the draft than 9OA, so it could be a smart move to trade down, pick up an additional early 2nd round pick, and then take Ceulemans somewhere in the teens.

That’s if the Canucks are really high on Ceulemans. I’m still leaning toward taking the consensus BPA top-10 guy who falls to us. But I wouldn’t be upset with Ceulemans and an extra pick.

Yeah I've been doing a deeper dive the last couple days on the top 90 or so picks and wow there must be at least 20 guys I'd love to add to the prospect pool. Besides the fairly big list of RD's there are quite a few centers with size and skill like Helenius, Pinelli, Broz, Barbenec, Salminen, Johnston, Dean, Dach, Harrison, Winterton.

I must say I'm pretty stoked for this draft. Should be the first time in 5 years I can watch both days. As much as I'd love another pick I would prefer just to take the BPA at 9. Maybe Schmidt gets us another second. Anybody have any info on this Ty Gallagher kid, he's a RHD from NTDP, 6'0, 188lbs. Also liking Nico Huuhtanen, RW from Tappara U20, 6'2, 204lbs, for our third rounder.

14 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

It doesn't sound like Larsson and the Oilers are gonna part ways. His agents says talks are going well.

We’re making progress on a contract. Sometimes teams like to move quicker than players. He’s just thinking about everything. We’re getting there. There are a few things we can still discuss.

lame!  play with Hughes in VAN!

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:
"I think he's a younger Patrick Kane. He sees the ice better than anyone. He's one of the smartest players I've ever played with and his shot is underrated. I've never seen someone work on their own game more. Hopefully the Canucks can land him." - Jacob Truscott on Kent Johnson

Today this is my guy.  I’m all hyped we get Johnson at 90A.  More elite skill and hyper compete for our top six.  

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

On 7/11/2021 at 10:05 AM, NUCKER67 said:

As far as Canucks needs?

1. Beniers

2. Power

3. Edvinsson

4. Hughes

5. Eklund - he can play C

6. McTavish

7. Lucius

8. Svechkov

9. Lambos

Notables missing - Johnson, Guenther, Lysell, Wallstedt

I feel the Canucks don't really need a goaltender right now, and wingers can be obtained by way of trades, as they're the least expensive of the positions.

I agree honestly for the most part.

But I am preparing myself for if wallstedt is there at 9 and we take him cause he's the BPA on our list.

Gonna tell myself:

• He will be nhl ready soon
  • Demko and his concussions concern me long term
  • two elite goalies are important in the new nhl
  • Spencer Knight is untouchable rn so if we had two elite goalies we would for sure be able to trade one for an impact player

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Today this is my guy.  I’m all hyped we get Johnson at 90A.  More elite skill and hyper compete for our top six.  

ha! I'm like that too, Today I love....

I've really flip-flopped with Johnson. He seems too thin to be impactful in the physical NHL?  165 lbs for a guy over 6 feet, he's going to need to put on serious muscle mass. But the skill is definitely there.  I don't know, could be great, but a lot of hard work ahead I would imagine, and time.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:
"I think he's a younger Patrick Kane. He sees the ice better than anyone. He's one of the smartest players I've ever played with and his shot is underrated. I've never seen someone work on their own game more. Hopefully the Canucks can land him." - Jacob Truscott on Kent Johnson

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Well if we added Johnson hard not to imagine us not having a top tier PP unit for years to come:

20 hours ago, aGENT said:

If Larsson doesn't re-up with EDM... Schmidt + one of our 5ths for rights to Larsson plus their 20OA and draft one of Cuelemans/Chayka etc.

Take the best (likely F/winger) to fall to 9

Now that would be quite the swing.

Hughes-Larsson

Would definitely work I think. Maybe the Sedins and Petey and Edler and our Swedish gang here would help secure the signing? Plus the opportunity to play with Hughes and Petey.

Would love to add Corson to the pipeline as well and that would make me feel very comfortable trading the 9th with some extras like Lind and Roussel for Sam Reinhart if we can get an extension in place.

Hoglander-Petey-Reinhart

Highmore-Miller-Boeser

Pearson-Horvat-Podkolzin

MacEwan-Graovac-Motte

Hughes-Larsson

Edler-Myers

Juolevi/Rathbone-Hamonic

Rathbone/Juolevi

Demko

UFA 

Of course a lot of moving pieces.

Need Virtanen bought out, LE needs to retire, Holtby selected by Seattle over MacEwan.

I think it works though. Reinhart right handed can help Petey with face-offs if he's ever struggling one game too. I think they would complement each other very well too.

Of course the lines could juggle but I think Miller slotting in at C he will have even more success then last year because we will have three dangerous lines and teams will have trouble matching up. He did very well with Petey out at C drawing very tough assignments.

Hughes Larsson is a pairing that just makes sense.

Edler on a cheap contract to protect one or both of juolevi / rathbone from being over exposed or put in a bad position. 

Hamonic I think really needs to be resigned and hopefully at a reasonable and fair term and dollar amount. Think his agent came out with that just so he doesn't get absolutely sewered on his contract. He really started to play well at the end of the season.

With Schmidt out, Larsson in Hughes/Juolevi/Rathbone all one year older and a better hamonic to start the season I think this is a solid group with a good amount of healthy competition.

What you think Agent? Am I going offseason crazy?

Edited by R3aL
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Herberts Vasiljevs said:

The next Patrick Kane wouldn’t be projecting not Top 3. But I agree his Raw skill is something to look at.

6 minutes ago, Dats hockey said:

The next Patrick Kane wouldn’t be projecting not Top 3. But I agree his Raw skill is something to look at.

The next Patty Kane would be 1st overall and win the calder.

Safe to say Johnson will not even be in the NHL next year.

I think its just playing style is similar with how they create offence off the wing and the puck skills.

Hes suppose to have the top puck skills / stick handling in the draft and some lists do have him as high as 3rd overall.

I agree with you though.

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

The next Patty Kane would be 1st overall and win the calder.

Safe to say Johnson will not even be in the NHL next year.

I think its just playing style is similar with how they create offence off the wing and the puck skills.

Hes suppose to have the top puck skills / stick handling in the draft and some lists do have him as high as 3rd overall.

I agree with you though.

Imagine have BB-EP-Kane

one can dream.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

What was Green’s comment about “soft skill”?  

You’d probably like Lysell nothing soft about that man. If he some how falls into the 2nd that would be crazy if we got him.

but I wouldn’t take him at 9 there’s a lot of Risk with him.

• Vintage 1