The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

23 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

from what I've been reading in this thread, it sounds like Johnson is more of a playmaker and Guenther is more of a pure shooter, but thats me over-simplifying it I'm sure. Some are worried about the "WHL factor" for lack of a better term on DG as well, given the lower quality of competition.

If it actually falls the way Button predicts I'd want McTavish, big mean C is something we really need. 

Is McTavish the BPA at 9th, if Geunther and Johnson are available as well? 

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

I've been doing my best to pump his tires. Have him ranked 7th myself. Someone mentioned earlier Button just put out his latest rankings and has Svechkov 6th now. His hockey IQ is bonkers. I'd had him in my top 12 for over a year, but what really solidified him as a top ten pick for me was when I started looking at the defensive abilities of some of the top D in this class, I like to look at head-to-head moments against other top prospects, and whether it's Clarke, Edvinsson or Hughes, Svechkov just has everyone's number.

I assume he's ranked lower overall perhaps because he's Russian? I really don't see how he's worse in any capacity than McTavish other than his shot, and we're seeing McTavish in the top 5 on some boards. I'll take a Russian JT Miller 10/10 times over a 1-dimensional Canadian center.

13 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Is he really that good defensively? Horvat's pretty committed defensively.

I believe he will be but obviously not yet lol!  Horvat was considered a good 200 ft player out of junior but wasn't considered the hands down best defensive forward of his class.  I know things could be relative based on a different draft year and quality but Svechkov just gets where to be when.  He's way ahead as far as positioning in all three zones (amongst his peers).  

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1

41 minutes ago, Stech said:

I assume he's ranked lower overall perhaps because he's Russian? I really don't see how he's worse in any capacity than McTavish other than his shot, and we're seeing McTavish in the top 5 on some boards. I'll take a Russian JT Miller 10/10 times over a 1-dimensional Canadian center.

Svechkov ranking probably dropped cuz he's signed for 2 more years in Russia.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

42 minutes ago, Stech said:

Yeah. The Russian factor is still alive for sure. As I said in a recent post, you kinda can't blame GMs though. Look at guys like Burmistrov, Grigorenko, maybe Nichushkin who were picked high and didn't pan out but still could have at least been solid NHLers, but they keep going back to Russia. And even some guys that do pan out, like Radulov and Kaprizov, are still headaches for the teams that drafted them.

Even though I have Svechkov at 7, it wouldn't at all surprise me to see him fall to around 15. Unless a Columbus or Detroit takes him really early, most of the teams from about 7 to 14 seem to have a bit of aversion to taking Russians high. Canucks are the one team in that range that would be most likely to swing.

He may not have McTavish's shot, but it's still pretty good. For me the biggest weakness is just a lack of elite puck skills. Pretty high end, but he's more a guy who likes to use his smarts to slow things down and draw defenders out to open lanes. He's not a player to attack the inside or challenge defenders one on one too often. I've been comparing him to Logan Couture, although he's a better skater than Couture was at the same age.

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, BPA said:

Yeah, the contract in itself doesn't mean much, as most junior players will take two years to make the jump anyway. But it's what the contract signifies. NHL teams love when Russians come over to play junior and show they actually want to be here.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Lines

Johnson - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Svechkov - Podkolzin  (this is intriguing)

Lysell - Pettersson - Boeser

Motte - McTavish - Podkolzin

Guenther - Pettersson - Boeser

And the scary thing is Miller is not in there.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, BPA said:

Just like Podkolzin, not an issue. I really like that Svechkov's D game is so strong as well. Can play C and Wing. Is it his dream to play in the NHL as well? 

9 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Just like Podkolzin, not an issue. I really like that Svechkov's D game is so strong as well. Can play C and Wing. Is it his dream to play in the NHL as well? 

A factor no one seems to mention: Of all the struggling world economies, Russia is one I'd be bullish on. With their(seemingly unlimited) natural resources, & growing alliance with China, they are uniquely positioned.

Imagine there is a market crash in the west, & the US buck turns to crap. I've seen several well-informed analysts predict this pending possibility(admittedly, longer than they'd like to admit).

IFFF this day ever does arrive, not sure you'd want too much tied up in young Russian prospects.

Maybe I'm biased, & simply HATE how the NHL conducts their biz? Possible. But I will predict that in the next 3-5 yr window the Russian league(will up their modest cap) & start competing to draw more & more strong young talent.

Kaprizov should prove an interesting barometer.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1