The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

8 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah I'm not buying it. I don't know anything about the transfer agreement situation, but we've seen it enough before, with Malkin jumping ship, or Radulov ditching his NHL contract to go back to Russia. This isn't Podkolzin or Kaprizov we're talking about, this kid looks borderline generational. Not to mention a late birthday so he'll be almost 19 by the time he is eligible to play in the NHL. If he is able to make the jump right in and be a star player, you really think he's not going to jump at the opportunity to come to the best league in the world?

SKA is notorious for not letting players go early from their contract 

3 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Yeah I'm not buying it. I don't know anything about the transfer agreement situation, but we've seen it enough before, with Malkin jumping ship, or Radulov ditching his NHL contract to go back to Russia. This isn't Podkolzin or Kaprizov we're talking about, this kid looks borderline generational. Not to mention a late birthday so he'll be almost 19 by the time he is eligible to play in the NHL. If he is able to make the jump right in and be a star player, you really think he's not going to jump at the opportunity to come to the best league in the world?

Right now Michkov isnt able to be drafted til 2023 and hes already khl signed til 2026. So theres nothing you say or post matters at all. Its 2021 right now .. or have you forgotten that.

Maybe in 2023 you can revist this Michkov discussion.

5 minutes ago, HockeyHarry said:

Right now Michkov isnt able to be drafted til 2023 and hes already khl signed til 2026. So theres nothing you say or post matters at all. Its 2021 right now .. or have you forgotten that.

Maybe in 2023 you can revist this Michkov discussion.

Calm down, you're gonna have a stroke.

Edited by HighOnHockey

47 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Some interesting comparables I've read here and there:

Beniers - TOEWS

Power - HEDMAN, BYFUGLIEN, BURNS

Clarke - E. KARLSSON

Guenther - HUBERDEAU, NUGENT-HOPKINS

Wallstedt - PRICE

Cuelemans - MAKAR

Others?

Not that they are replicas or anything, but I've posted the two that stand out to me before based on their play style. I see a lot of E. Lindholm in Eklund for his overall game, and Patty Kane in Johnson for his stickhandling and the way he uses the backhand.

• Thanks 1

Since we're off topic talking about future drafts, here's my early 2022 list for anyone interested:

1. Shane Wright - Not a prototypical power forward but a sturdy kid who excels below the hashmarks. Best assets are his hockey sense, hands in tight spaces, and his shot. Exceptional status but he's more Tavares/Stamkos/McKinnon level prospect that Crosby/McDavid/Bedard.

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko - A bit more of a traditional power forward than Wright. Powerful skater and shooter, protects the puck well down the wing, loves to shoot the puck, likes to throw his body around. And he has some of the best passing vision I've seen from a prospect in years.

3. Brad Lambert - Smooth skater, slick stickhandler, and loves to carry the puck and make things happen offensively. A wizard coming through the neutral zone, making forecheckers miss with uncanny regularity.

4. Matthew Savoie - Ridiculous all-around skill level, but some question marks around consistency and trying to force plays. Speed is the name of the game - lighting quick hands and feet, but he is highly proficient in all the technical skills.

5. Simon Nemec - Big, strong, smart, skilled. The offensive numbers speak for themselves, but one play that spoke volumes was at the U20s where 19 year old 5th overall pick Alex Turcotte was coming at him one on one and the 16 year old Nemec made it look easy angling him off, stripping the puck and making a quick transition play.

6. Danila Yurov - He reminds me so much of Vladimir Tarasenko. Thick, sturdy body, incredibly pro-style player. He never seems to lose a 50-50 battle at the MHL level. Hell, put him one on two in the corners and he'll often find a way to come out with the puck. And then there's his shot, skating, stickhandling, playmaking, puck protection...

7. Tristan Luneau - He's a standout defensive defenseman; separates pucks from bodies and makes quick plays to relieve pressure. But he is at his best on the breakout, where he beats forecheckers primarily with exceptional hockey sense, luring them in and then using brilliant change of speed or direction, although he can also beat guys with pure speed.

8. Gleb Trikozov - The enigma of the draft. On pure natural ability, he looks like a top three pick. Incredibly skilled, loves to carry the puck and make plays, good size and can play a power game, and he shows flashes of brilliance defensively, hustling to break up scoring chances, skating through pucks. At his best he reminds me a ton of Marian Hossa. But he makes highly questionable decisions with alarming regularity.

9. Elias Salomonsson - Another excellent two-way defenseman. Salomonsson may be the most offensively gifted of the three, with outstanding skating and puck skills. He also looks intelligent, dedicated and poised in his own zone. Could end up being the best defenseman of the draft, but I just haven't seen him as much as the other two yet.

10. Isaac Howard - He's a little on the small side at 5'10, but remarkably skilled. Smooth skater and he's a genius at finding holes in coverage, and then he has an elite shot on top of it all.

• Thanks 3
  • Upvote 1

The biggest need the nux have is a stud number 2 defensive defenseman to play with Hughes and form a true top pair.

When that happens we are going to take a huge step forward.

Look at how Reilly improved in TO when he was paired this year with TJ Brodie.

Whether we draft that number 2 or trade for him I am looking forward to it.  That will signal our legitimate start to rise to be a contender.

Wow, this will be quite a game in the finals.  

Canada vs. Russia 

Two young phenoms that will almost certainly go 1 and 2 in the draft in two years. 

3 hours ago, HighOnHockey said:

Since we're off topic talking about future drafts, here's my early 2022 list for anyone interested:

1. Shane Wright - Not a prototypical power forward but a sturdy kid who excels below the hashmarks. Best assets are his hockey sense, hands in tight spaces, and his shot. Exceptional status but he's more Tavares/Stamkos/McKinnon level prospect that Crosby/McDavid/Bedard.

2. Ivan Miroshnichenko - A bit more of a traditional power forward than Wright. Powerful skater and shooter, protects the puck well down the wing, loves to shoot the puck, likes to throw his body around. And he has some of the best passing vision I've seen from a prospect in years.

3. Brad Lambert - Smooth skater, slick stickhandler, and loves to carry the puck and make things happen offensively. A wizard coming through the neutral zone, making forecheckers miss with uncanny regularity.

4. Matthew Savoie - Ridiculous all-around skill level, but some question marks around consistency and trying to force plays. Speed is the name of the game - lighting quick hands and feet, but he is highly proficient in all the technical skills.

5. Simon Nemec - Big, strong, smart, skilled. The offensive numbers speak for themselves, but one play that spoke volumes was at the U20s where 19 year old 5th overall pick Alex Turcotte was coming at him one on one and the 16 year old Nemec made it look easy angling him off, stripping the puck and making a quick transition play.

6. Danila Yurov - He reminds me so much of Vladimir Tarasenko. Thick, sturdy body, incredibly pro-style player. He never seems to lose a 50-50 battle at the MHL level. Hell, put him one on two in the corners and he'll often find a way to come out with the puck. And then there's his shot, skating, stickhandling, playmaking, puck protection...

7. Tristan Luneau - He's a standout defensive defenseman; separates pucks from bodies and makes quick plays to relieve pressure. But he is at his best on the breakout, where he beats forecheckers primarily with exceptional hockey sense, luring them in and then using brilliant change of speed or direction, although he can also beat guys with pure speed.

8. Gleb Trikozov - The enigma of the draft. On pure natural ability, he looks like a top three pick. Incredibly skilled, loves to carry the puck and make plays, good size and can play a power game, and he shows flashes of brilliance defensively, hustling to break up scoring chances, skating through pucks. At his best he reminds me a ton of Marian Hossa. But he makes highly questionable decisions with alarming regularity.

9. Elias Salomonsson - Another excellent two-way defenseman. Salomonsson may be the most offensively gifted of the three, with outstanding skating and puck skills. He also looks intelligent, dedicated and poised in his own zone. Could end up being the best defenseman of the draft, but I just haven't seen him as much as the other two yet.

10. Isaac Howard - He's a little on the small side at 5'10, but remarkably skilled. Smooth skater and he's a genius at finding holes in coverage, and then he has an elite shot on top of it all.

Miroschnichenko and Lambert were standouts for me in that semi-final game. Lambert's fluid skating is a treat to watch, and the Miroschnichenko and Michkov pick corners like nothing. It feels like there is so many good kids coming up through all systems right now.

I also really liked Chibrikov's game. He looked like Nick Backstrom on the sidewall looking for passing lanes. I haven't seen much of him, so I was pleasantly surprised and can see the reasons for the praise I've seen.

11 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

The biggest need the nux have is a stud number 2 defensive defenseman to play with Hughes and form a true top pair.

Whether we draft that number 2 or trade for him I am looking forward to it.  That will signal our legitimate start to rise to be a contender.

Y'know who I'd actually like to see in a Canucks uniform next year?  Adam Larsson.  Free acquisition as he's a UFA.  Unfortunately, I think the end of the road is here for Edler... let Edler walk and replace him with Larsson.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

11 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

Yeah but that’s not who you draft in the top 10. That’s how you end up with a Luke Schenn. Draft for top end skill in the top 10 it’s a lot harder to acquire a Hughes or Reilly than it is a TJ Brodie.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Y'know who I'd actually like to see in a Canucks uniform next year?  Adam Larsson.  Free acquisition as he's a UFA.  Unfortunately, I think the end of the road is here for Edler... let Edler walk and replace him with Larsson.

I've been thinking the exact same thing. Larsson plays very similar to current Edler. He doesn't wow you with his game, but is quietly effective.

1 hour ago, Sp3nny said:

I've been thinking the exact same thing. Larsson plays very similar to current Edler. He doesn't wow you with his game, but is quietly effective.

Larsson is ridiculously underrated. A top pairing shutdown D. We'd be incredibly lucky to have him. He'll be expensive.

18 hours ago, DontMessMe said:

It was meant to be.. Bo as a 3rd line center :bigblush:

I should preface that if Bo becomes your 3C, you are in crazy good shape.  You essentially have 2 scoring lines, and a shutdown scoring line that all play similar minutes.

1.clarke

2.power

3.beniers

4.guenther

5.mctavish 

are my top 5, mctavish going top 5 might be a bit of a stretch I just love his compete level and what he brings

eklund is really good I just feel like we already have that player and I want to become tougher to play against. With jake more than likley out of our plans to add another solid scoring middle 6 guy is important, I’m not excited about any LHD but power is an exception with what his ceiling brings and brandt Clarke fills a huge hole we have in our prospect group on the right side.

I may be reading a little much into this tourney but with the small sample size we had this year if there has ever been a year to judge a player off of this tournament it would be this year 

all in all I can see 1-2 of those guys being available when we pick if we stay top 8 

• Cheers 2