The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2021 NHL Entry Draft

Noble 6

34 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Anaheim clinches 2nd worst record. The lowest we can currently go is 3rd last.

So 4th because Seattle slides into 3rd spot. 

30 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

So 7 games left

Calgary 4

Winnipeg 2

Edmonton 1

If we go 2-5 in the remaining 7 games then we finish with the 5th overall pick!

In classic Canuck fashion we will screw up this screwed up season by sweeping the flames in our final four games against them lol! 

Come on Brandt Clarke!

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

So 7 games left

Calgary 4

Winnipeg 2

Edmonton 1

If we go 2-5 in the remaining 7 games then we finish with the 5th overall pick!

On one hand, I want to out-tank the Flames. On the other hand, beating the Flames feels so sweet.

• Cheers 2

15 minutes ago, YearoftheNuck said:

In classic Canuck fashion we will screw up this screwed up season by sweeping the flames in our final four games against them lol! 

Come on Brandt Clarke!

Most likely what will happen and we pick 9th or 10th but we can dream can’t we lol

• Haha 1

On 4/29/2021 at 10:37 PM, hammertime said:

I mean Fydor Svechkov is your guy then... Paired with Podkolzin could be one of the better checking lines in the game in a few years. However I'm calling it now the guy pulling a canucks jersey on this year will be Lysell. And personally I'd be thrilled the more I watch of him the more translatable I feel his game is to the Pro's. 

I feel the pool we will have to pick from will be. Lysell, Guenther, Johnson, Svechkov and Mctavish. The big 4 D will be gone b4 we pick. 

Agree with the big 4 d being gone.  Lysell or Johsnon could be the pick.

On 4/30/2021 at 5:19 AM, Me_ said:

Luke Hughes all the way.

No question.

Could he fall a bit since his season ended premature due to having to get surgery right into the Canucks laps?

On 4/30/2021 at 3:42 PM, Bure_Pavel said:

Not big on Lysell, I think you can get guys like him later in the draft. We need a Dman or Center badly. 

I tend to agree though it doesn't seem these  top 15 forwards who are listed as centers necessarily project as pivots in the NHL outside of Berniers.

Feel like the big name d will be off the board before the Canucks pick.

The most likely selection will be a winger.

Likely Lysell and Johnson are the two most realistic Canucks picks to continue to add some much needed speed and skill to the top 9.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

- Well, we will go 7 and 0 and Green will say these guys are professionals, and played with heart and class

- Benning will announce he has re-signed Sutter and Edler because no team wins a cup without 34 year olds

- Seattle will take Lind and we will be stuck with Myers and Holtby

- Green will announce he is going to Columbus, but his assistants have re-signed with Vancouver for another 5 years

- Loui Eriksson takes a buyout, re-signs with Boston and scores 30 goals

- Tryamkin will still be wearing his Vancouver Canuck jersey on his profile page

- Aqualini will announce he is selling the team to Eugene Melnyk

- and Bettman announces that Vancouver wins the 2021 lottery, only to announce moments later that the 3 was really an 8 and the pick belongs to Buffalo

Lol! Can I nominate this for post of the year? So good! 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Chip Kelly said:

Agree with the big 4 d being gone.  Lysell or Johsnon could be the pick.

Could he fall a bit since his season ended premature due to having to get surgery right into the Canucks laps?

I tend to agree though it doesn't seem these  top 15 forwards who are listed as centers necessarily project as pivots in the NHL outside of Berniers.

Feel like the big name d will be off the board before the Canucks pick.

The most likely selection will be a winger.

Likely Lysell and Johnson are the two most realistic Canucks picks to continue to add some much needed speed and skill to the top 9.

What’s your take on Chaz Lucius? The guy puts up insane numbers everywhere he goes and is apparently very competitive. I can’t help but think that if he was able to play in the U18 tourney that his stock would be soaring right now (but maybe not). 

If we somehow end up picking near the 10 spot I would be very happy with this selection. I think that there will be a lot of solid players to choose from though in that spot; Lucius, McTavish, Johnson, and Lysell could almost all still be on the board. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, HighOnHockey said:

Someone was talking about player comparisons a couple pages back. I've never been the biggest fan of player comparisons. Feels sort of like a crutch to real analysis, and every player is so unique, comparisons tend to be very superficial... but I have to admit it is pretty fun. Rather than doing a single comparison, I like to do one for ceiling, and one for a more moderate projection.

Brandt Clarke - Drew Doughty, Josh Morrissey

Owen Power - Brent Burns, Dougie Hamilton

Matt Beniers - Mike Richards (before the oxy), Dylan Larkin

William Eklund - Paul Kariya, Johnny Gaudreau

Luke Hughes - Roman Josi, Jake Gardiner

Cole Sillinger - Joe Pavelski, Elias Lindholm

Kent Johnson - Claude Giroux, Kyle Turris

Dylan Guenther - Max Pacioretty, Kyle Palmieri

Fabian Lysell - William Nylander, Kevin Fiala

Chaz Lucius - Kyle Connor, Jeff Skinner

Simon Edvinsson - Victor Hedman, Filip Kuba

Fyodor Svechkov - Logan Couture, Travis Zajac

Carson Lambos - P.K. Subban, Cody Ceci

Mason McTavish - Nick Foligno, Charlie Coyle

Nikita Chibrikov - Artemi Panarin, Clayton Keller

Edvinsson i see more as a oel. His athletic gifts are off the charts but he doesnt process the game as quick as hedman. Lambos is uf he lives up to his playing style, then i can see pietrangelo. Similar style of play from him.

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Anaheim clinches 2nd worst record. The lowest we can currently go is 3rd last.

seattle gets 3rd. unless we lose our remaining games, i see us 5th or 6th. we could end up higher than nj, columbus and detroit. calgary is iffy.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Isam said:

Good list but i think you have mctavish player comparable to low cuz of the petes being the petes. ^

I think you underrate Nick Foligno then. Dude had 73 points one year, was named to the all-star team. I know it was just one season, but the point is, it proves he is capable of it, but ideally on a good team, that's not what he's there for. He can play center or wing on any line, plays PK, PP. When he was traded to Toronto, I told my friends this could be the thing that finally puts the Leafs over the top. They have all the skill in the world, but he brings a huge chunk of everything else they're missing to go somewhere in the playoffs - leadership, grit, competitiveness, heart, toughness.

Not even sure what the Petes could have to do with anything. I've never seen him play for them. I've seen him at U17s, U18s and a shift-by-shift in the Swiss League.

1 hour ago, Isam said:

Edvinsson i see more as a oel. His athletic gifts are off the charts but he doesnt process the game as quick as hedman. Lambos is uf he lives up to his playing style, then i can see pietrangelo. Similar style of play from him.

Yeah I don't really think Edvinsson will be as good as Hedman, point was just that if he lives up to his potential he could be really, really good.

Would you be able to elaborate a little on your comparison between Pietrangelo and Lambos? I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm curious what you see there? I tend to think of Lambos as a more offensive-minded defenseman than Pietrangelo.

Edited by HighOnHockey

1 hour ago, HighOnHockey said:

Someone was talking about player comparisons a couple pages back. I've never been the biggest fan of player comparisons. Feels sort of like a crutch to real analysis, and every player is so unique, comparisons tend to be very superficial... but I have to admit it is pretty fun. Rather than doing a single comparison, I like to do one for ceiling, and one for a more moderate projection.

Brandt Clarke - Drew Doughty, Josh Morrissey

Owen Power - Brent Burns, Dougie Hamilton

Matt Beniers - Mike Richards (before the oxy), Dylan Larkin

William Eklund - Paul Kariya, Johnny Gaudreau

Luke Hughes - Roman Josi, Jake Gardiner

Cole Sillinger - Joe Pavelski, Elias Lindholm

Kent Johnson - Claude Giroux, Kyle Turris

Dylan Guenther - Max Pacioretty, Kyle Palmieri

Fabian Lysell - William Nylander, Kevin Fiala

Chaz Lucius - Kyle Connor, Jeff Skinner

Simon Edvinsson - Victor Hedman, Filip Kuba

Fyodor Svechkov - Logan Couture, Travis Zajac

Carson Lambos - P.K. Subban, Cody Ceci

Mason McTavish - Nick Foligno, Charlie Coyle

Nikita Chibrikov - Artemi Panarin, Clayton Keller

Corson Ceulemans- 

Great list

I added Corson Ceulemans, as I think his ranking moved up over this tournament. I am not sure the BPA will necessarily be the only factor used in this draft, with the grouping being alot more flat this year. Yes there is a difference between the 1st and 12th picks, but I don't think it is as much as normally is. In saying that, there seems to be a top 5 or 6, then another tier just below them. 

Certainly if we could get Brandt Clarke, we should talk him, but I don't think he will be there when we draft. Corson Ceulemans may be a little low where we pick, but I like him, and he fits the bill. But if we have to take a forward, I draft for the playoffs......McTavish, Svechkov, Sillinger and Johnson all get my attention, with honor mention to Chaz Lucius.

Sure I would be happy with Power's, Beniers, Geunther, Eklund, Lysell  or Hughes

I am really hung up on Clarke, McTavish, and Svechkov...............team needs, I guess

Does Ceulemans has the ceiling to be a top RHD? This is a question I wonder......................

• Like 2
  • Vintage 1

11 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

What’s your take on Chaz Lucius? The guy puts up insane numbers everywhere he goes and is apparently very competitive. I can’t help but think that if he was able to play in the U18 tourney that his stock would be soaring right now (but maybe not). 

If we somehow end up picking near the 10 spot I would be very happy with this selection. I think that there will be a lot of solid players to choose from though in that spot; Lucius, McTavish, Johnson, and Lysell could almost all still be on the board. 

The only thing that gives me some pause on Lucius and Johnson, and McTavish as well for that matter is that unlike Lysell they don't possess that speed to really threaten the d at the NHL level.

Each guy is obviously very different though. Johnson plays a more cerebral and shifty style, McTavish has a more direct power game aided by his size.

Lucius is a good goal scorer and likes to shoot first as a center which projects him best to the wing.

The injuries are a little concerning in terms of how much that has affected his speed and overall skating ability.

I like the tools but may be a little bit if a risk as a bonafide top 10 guy.

The medical stuff could push him down imo. In a hugely uncertain year with limited info you want guys who appear to have the fewest holes in their games in the top 10 who might contribute in less than 3 years.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

13 hours ago, YearoftheNuck said:

Come on Brandt Clarke!

Pretend winning culture and mentality in a losing season is above logic..

Normally you always choose best player available.  This draft is different.  Arguments can be made for multiple players to go 1st overall.  Picking by need maybe more common in this 1st round.  This team has many needs.  RHD or a talented playmaker (wing or centre) being the biggest.  That’s why my 2 favourites are Brandt Clarke and Kent Johnson.  I think Johnson has the biggest offensive potential in this draft.  He is an elite passer.  Eklund is also very good in this regard.  I’m also a huge fan of Corson Ceulemans after watching the u18s.  He could crack the top 10.  He looked like a top pairing RHD to me.  We also need a 3rd line centre but that should not be our goal with our top 10 pick.  UFAS or trade to fill that spot on the roster.

• Cheers 1