The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Reverse Retro Reveal Jersey

Rate this topic

BertaNuck

4 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Where they play was nicknamed the igloo hence the penguins, way better than some corporate logo.

And so how does this make the orca illegitimate for the city of Vancouver when there are actually orcas in the area?

Also you didn't even answer the Pirates part of the question. In fact, let's up the anti with names that are similar: San Jose Sharks, Hartford Whalers (Hartford's not even a port), Seattle Kraken, Anaheim Ducks, etc.

May I suggest that the real problem is with the name "Vancouver Canucks". Compared with most team names, we have arguably the hardest name in the NHL to make a logo for. The Johnny Canuck logo might have worked, but personally, I don't think it looks right as a main logo whatsoever. This is why I think we've had the identity crisis we have had; however, I think given the other names I provided you with earlier, the orca falls well in line with the NHL. It blends in well. It also now has the longest history as our main logo compared with any other logo we've had.

You may not like this jersey and I respect that. Are you willing to return the favour to those of us that do like it?

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, The Lock said:

And so how does this make the orca illegitimate for the city of Vancouver when there are actually orcas in the area?

Also you didn't even answer the Pirates part of the question. In fact, let's up the anti with names that are similar: San Jose Sharks, Hartford Whalers (Hartford's not even a port), Seattle Kraken, Anaheim Ducks, etc.

May I suggest that the real problem is with the name "Vancouver Canucks". Compared with most team names, we have arguably the hardest name in the NHL to make a logo for. The Johnny Canuck logo might have worked, but personally, I don't think it looks right as a main logo whatsoever. This is why I think we've had the identity crisis we have had; however, I think given the other names I provided you with earlier, the orca falls well in line with the NHL. It blends in well. It also now has the longest history as our main logo compared with any other logo we've had.

You may not like this jersey and I respect that. Are you willing to return the favour to those of us that do like it?

You’re rattling off team names, pretty much all of those teams have a logo that matches their name, we are not the Vancouver Orcas.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Read my 3rd paragraph again where I've already addressed this.

The stick in rink works, the skate at least represents hockey, the orca represents a corporation that once owned the Canucks and brought us Messier, IMHO, worst logo ever. On top of that it really does look like it’s pooping, someone mentioned that a while back and now I can’t unsee it, it’s literally a “$hitty” logo.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1

1 hour ago, CanucksCountry said:

The logo is going on 22 years almost half of the franchise's history, Orcas are always near the Orca region and Before you Bring up the There not always in Vancouver argument Remember This is BC's only active franchise in the big 4 sports leagues So it represents VANCOVUER island is well. Don't get me wrong its not my favorite logo we have used I prefer the Stick and rink but that being said the Orca does a way better job at representing the team and the city    

WHY do the Canucks need an animal that doesn't represent the club's name to represent the area? Do the Montreal Canadiens and NY Rangers have a regional animal representing their team brand?? No, of course not. The Canucks may have started out as an NHL franchise is 1970, but Vancouver Canucks hockey started in 1945. They are named after Johnny Canuck whose lumberjack profession helped build the City of Vancouver and has longstanding roots in British Columbia. 

The original Stick in Rink C represents the beautiful Canadian game in Vancouver, BC colours of blue, green and white.

• Thanks 1
  • Wat 1

Lol!  This again.  I don't understand why some of you are so determined to be negative.  So you dislike the logo? Cool beans!  You're allowed to!  And the people that like it are allowed to as well.  

I personally think that The Canucks have switched logos too many times in their history.  I am all for keeping a tradition going.  It has been our logo for almost 50% of the teams history now and a large portion of the fan base grew up with it.  I understand that there is an argument to be made about whether it does or does not make sense but I feel like most people do not care.  A few disgruntled locals maybe but not around the league as far as I can tell.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

The stick in rink works, the skate at least represents hockey, the orca represents a corporation that once owned the Canucks and brought us Messier, IMHO, worst logo ever. On top of that it really does look like it’s pooping, someone mentioned that a while back and now I can’t unsee it, it’s literally a “$hitty” logo.

So your beef with the orca then is more a personal beef 1 or 2 years of history and a hatred of Messier? I guess I can see that, but to counter argue that orca also now represents Naslund and the west coast express, the Sedin twins, etc. Probably more so than Messier.

Hey, if you want to just focus on Messier and not the positive history we've had with the logo, that's your prerogative, but you're ignoring a big chunk of history there.

• Like 2

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

I learnt that orcas are found almost everywhere and Vancouver has one of the lowest populations of orcas and I learnt you must be brilliant, that shot at my user name, don’t know how you came up with that, sheer genius.

Have you learnt about resident Orca's yet? 

It doesn't surprise me that you would see me as brilliant or a genius as you don't set the bar particularly high.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

So your beef with the orca then is more a personal beef 1 or 2 years of history and a hatred of Messier? I guess I can see that, but to counter argue that orca also now represents Naslund and the west coast express, the Sedin twins, etc. Probably more so than Messier.

Hey, if you want to just focus on Messier and not the positive history we've had with the logo, that's your prerogative, but you're ignoring a big chunk of history there.

I just do not like the logo, it does not give us an identity, and now that the corporation is gone has nothing to do with our team. I hated the logo day one and hate it still.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

I just do not like the logo, it does not give us an identity, and now that the corporation is gone has nothing to do with our team. I hated the logo day one and hate it still.

Okay then. Have fun with that. lol

I guess to be fair, I don't like the stick in rink. I've always found it looks tacky. So how about you do you and I'll do me.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

WHY do the Canucks need an animal that doesn't represent the club's name to represent the area? Do the Montreal Canadiens and NY Rangers have a regional animal representing their team brand?? No, of course not. The Canucks may have started out as an NHL franchise is 1970, but Vancouver Canucks hockey started in 1945. They are named after Johnny Canuck whose lumberjack profession helped build the City of Vancouver and has longstanding roots in British Columbia. 

The original Stick in Rink C represents the beautiful Canadian game in Vancouver, BC colours of blue, green and white.

So we have to do what other teams do?

You don't even know the history of Johnny Canuck....the adapted version came later.

image.png

Hall immediately liked the name’s potential to appeal to Canadian patriotism on multiple levels. The Canuck name would also be identified with a comic book character popular with Canadian soldiers: ‘Johnny Canuck’, a flight jacket and goggles-clad GI Joe-esque hero who singlehandedly defeated Adolf Hitler and the Nazis.

• Cheers 3

3 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Have you learnt about resident Orca's yet? 

It doesn't surprise me that you would see me as brilliant or a genius as you don't set the bar particularly high.

Where do resident orcas live?
Resident Killer Whales

They range from California to Russia and live in large groups. Four populations of Resident killer whales occur in the Pacific Northwest: Southern residents. Northern residents.

The southern resident killer whales (SRKW) represent the smallest of four resident communities within the Northeastern portion of North America Pacific Ocean. 

They are pretty much everywhere, less so here.

• Wat 1

Just now, Tiger-Hearted said:

We're not the Vancouver Johnny Canucks or the Vancouver Lumberjacks, or the Vancouver Sticks in Rinks.

C for Canucks just as the SiR is a C for Canucks.

Lame excuses are just lame captain straw clutcher. Lame, lame, lame, and more lame.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:
Resident Killer Whales

They range from California to Russia and live in large groups. Four populations of Resident killer whales occur in the Pacific Northwest: Southern residents. Northern residents.

The southern resident killer whales (SRKW) represent the smallest of four resident communities within the Northeastern portion of North America Pacific Ocean. 

They are pretty much everywhere, less so here

So wait there's Orca's permanently residing off our coast? Who knew???

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

WHY do the Canucks need an animal that doesn't represent the club's name to represent the area? Do the Montreal Canadiens and NY Rangers have a regional animal representing their team brand?? No, of course not. The Canucks may have started out as an NHL franchise is 1970, but Vancouver Canucks hockey started in 1945. They are named after Johnny Canuck whose lumberjack profession helped build the City of Vancouver and has longstanding roots in British Columbia

It doesn't need to be an animal your right. That being said the Johnny Canuck logo looks like Minor hockey teams logo... Oh wait "The 1945 Vancouver Canucks were a minor league professional ice hockey"

That's the thing was the stink and rink wasn't well done originally no one can see the C at least with the orca its clear as day the blue green and white need to stay as our colors hence why they are our colors with the orca.

The Johnny Canuck is actually wrong its named after a Political cartoon Super hero with the same name which had a big presents in 1942 in the second world war 

Linden helped with the logo design why wouldn't you want a logo with ideas from Captain Canuck? 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:
Resident Killer Whales

They are pretty much everywhere, less so here.

Um.... maybe re read what you just posted. California to Russia. We're in the middle of that. There's California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia , Alaska, and then Russia! Your post also states Pacific Northwest where we are!

Sorry dude but your post made me laugh how it's supposed to be "anti-orca" and yet you've proven the opposite. lol

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, CanucksCountry said:

It doesn't need to be an animal your right. That being said the Johnny Canuck logo looks like Minor hockey teams logo... Oh wait "The 1945 Vancouver Canucks were a minor league professional ice hockey"

That's the thing was the stink and rink wasn't well done originally no one can see the C at least with the orca its clear as day the blue green and white need to stay as our colors hence why they are our colors with the orca.

The Johnny Canuck is actually wrong its named after a Political cartoon Super hero with the same name which had a big presents in 1942 in the second world war 

Linden helped with the logo design why wouldn't you want a logo with ideas from Captain Canuck? 

I guess everything has to have some good, love Linden, I trust he didn’t design the pooping clenched teeth.

• Wat 1

1 minute ago, The Lock said:

Um.... maybe re read what you just posted. California to Russia. We're in the middle of that. There's California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia , Alaska, and then Russia! Your post also states Pacific Northwest where we are!

Sorry dude but your post made me laugh how it's supposed to be "anti-orca" and yet you've proven the opposite. lol

Just because we’re in the middle doesn’t mean there are lots here, the waters around Vancouver has an extremely low orca population, The logo was created for the corporation that owned the Canucks, not because Vancouver is famous for Orcas. 

• Wat 1