Ev'rybody's talking 'bout
Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism, Ragism, Tagism
This-ism, that-ism, is-m, is-m, is-m
All we are saying is give peace a chance

I have more than a few Bagisms.... :lol:

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Baggins said:

What obscure background?

the following obscure diatribe is in some way supposed to justify us having an orca on our jerseys

Forget the fact they swim into Burrard inlet and there's a permanent pod off our coast, have you never heard of Moby Doll? He was harpooned to be used as a model for a full scale sculpture at the Vancouver Aquarium. Towed back to Vancouver still alive, he was kept in a makeshift pen in Burrard Inlet for months. What was learned in that brief time before his death led capturing an Orca uninjured for the aquarium to put on public display and further study. Meaning Orca research began here in Vancouver and what was discovered changed the world view of their nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Doll

There was even a book written about Moby Doll titled "The Killer Whale Who Changed The World"....

The first publicly exhibited captive killer whale—a story that forever changed the way we see orcas and sparked the movement to save them. Killer whales had always been seen as bloodthirsty sea monsters. That all changed when a young killer whale was captured off the west coast of North America and displayed to the public in 1964. Moby Doll—as the whale became known—was an instant celebrity, drawing twenty thousand visitors on the one and only day he was exhibited. He died within a few months, but his famous gentleness sparked a worldwide crusade that transformed how people understood and appreciated orcas. Because of Moby Doll, we stopped fearing "killers" and grew to love and respect "orcas."

https://greystonebooks.com/products/the-killer-whale-who-changed-the-world

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, granpappy said:

the following obscure diatribe is in some way supposed to justify us having an orca on our jerseys

Forget the fact they swim into Burrard inlet and there's a permanent pod off our coast, have you never heard of Moby Doll? He was harpooned to be used as a model for a full scale sculpture at the Vancouver Aquarium. Towed back to Vancouver still alive, he was kept in a makeshift pen in Burrard Inlet for months. What was learned in that brief time before his death led capturing an Orca uninjured for the aquarium to put on public display and further study. Meaning Orca research began here in Vancouver and what was discovered changed the world view of their nature.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moby_Doll

There was even a book written about Moby Doll titled "The Killer Whale Who Changed The World"....

The first publicly exhibited captive killer whale—a story that forever changed the way we see orcas and sparked the movement to save them. Killer whales had always been seen as bloodthirsty sea monsters. That all changed when a young killer whale was captured off the west coast of North America and displayed to the public in 1964. Moby Doll—as the whale became known—was an instant celebrity, drawing twenty thousand visitors on the one and only day he was exhibited. He died within a few months, but his famous gentleness sparked a worldwide crusade that transformed how people understood and appreciated orcas. Because of Moby Doll, we stopped fearing "killers" and grew to love and respect "orcas."

https://greystonebooks.com/products/the-killer-whale-who-changed-the-world

No sir. That was in response DumbNuck saying, "And what exactly is the connection of orcas with Vancouver, our waters have an extremely small population and they’re more around Victoria. Google any whale sightseeing cruise in Vancouver and see where they go, quite far from Vancouver, often into US waters. I see absolutely no connection."

There were three events within a year I recall very clearly as a child. The JFK assassination, The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, and Moby Doll. What you call obscure I lived through. Which is why I understand the relationship between Vancouver and the Orca. History was made, and for about 35 years Orca at the Vancouver Aquarium was the biggest attraction in Stanley Park.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

No sir. That was in response DumbNuck saying, "And what exactly is the connection of orcas with Vancouver, our waters have an extremely small population and they’re more around Victoria. Google any whale sightseeing cruise in Vancouver and see where they go, quite far from Vancouver, often into US waters. I see absolutely no connection."

There were three events within a year I recall very clearly as a child. The JFK assassination, The Beatles on Ed Sullivan, and Moby Doll. What you call obscure I lived through. Which is why I understand the relationship between Vancouver and the Orca. History was made, and for about 35 years Orca at the Vancouver Aquarium was the biggest attraction in Stanley Park.

You forgot The Moon landing? Summit Series? :)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

You forgot The Moon landing? Summit Series? :)

Those came later. Watched the weekday games played in Russia at high school. The ones I mentioned are the earliest "big events" that really stuck with me, I was 7 when they occurred. Anything else you'd like to know about? B)

• Cheers 1

35 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Those came later. Watched the weekday games played in Russia at high school. The ones I mentioned are the earliest "big events" that really stuck with me, I was 7 when they occurred. Anything else you'd like to know about? B)

Curmudgeons?

Sorry, couldn’t resist.

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2020 at 6:04 PM, The Lock said:

Okay then. Have fun with that. lol

I guess to be fair, I don't like the stick in rink. I've always found it looks tacky. So how about you do you and I'll do me.

Hey I want to play too.   I don’t like the Orca compared to other uniforms,  but I don’t hate it either, it’s like your  friends annoying kids brother, eventually you get used to him being around and tolerate him as part of the group - once you get to that point you find yourself defending him more because he’s part of the group then because you actually want too.   People Polls have shown the Orca as the third favourite (so far), but it doesn’t mean those that voted for them don’t love all three (four).  The only uniforms I  really don’t like are the first Orca ones ... purple? Black and purple and blue and white pin stripes and is that red or magenta or what is it? And why’s the Whale have to be native art done in a way that looks so terrible?   They morphed a little during the WCE era but didn’t really get there until they changed the colours entirely.   And yes maybe Messier coming in and pulling that on for the first time .... well after the initial shock I was actually excited!  This guy just finished two great, normal, Messier seasons - lots of goals, lots of points etc - wow what a perfect one two punch down the middle.   Exciting didn’t last long....like lobbing a hand grenade into the dressing room, the best roster ever assembled didn’t have a chance.   Imagine if he accepted the A and fell in line as our second center instead and supported Linden.   And Bure and Mogilny stayed. 

As for these reverse retro or whatever, seriously disappointing, could have been an opportunity to do the V, it looks ok I guess but wish they went bolder or further down the line. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

And yes maybe Messier coming in and pulling that on for the first time .... well after the initial shock I was actually excited!  This guy just finished two great, normal, Messier seasons - lots of goals, lots of points etc - wow what a perfect one two punch down the middle.   Exciting didn’t last long....like lobbing a hand grenade into the dressing room, the best roster ever assembled didn’t have a chance.   Imagine if he accepted the A and fell in line as our second center instead and supported Linden.   And Bure and Mogilny stayed.

I thought it was an odd choice bringing Messier into the lineup but I was on board with it, when it seemed to be just adding him to what was already there.  As opposed to essentially trading the entire team for Messier in the death of a thousand cuts.

Didn't like the orca jersey when they revealed it though.  I thought there was no need for a change.  Like you, sure, I've come to accept it and it's better with the current colors.  The original orca jersey was basically Rangers colors...I guess a harbinger of what was about to happen to the locker room.  What, we need their captain, coach and jersey?  Man, if people thought Gillis chasing the "Boston Model" after the 2011 loss was bad.

Edited by Kevin Biestra

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

The original orca jersey was basically Rangers colors...I guess a harbinger of what was about to happen to the locker room.  What, we need their captain, coach and jersey?  Man, if people thought Gillis chasing the "Boston Model" after the 2011 loss was bad.

Interesting.  I've never heard anybody describe that jersey as copying the Rangers before.

When I saw the jersey for the first time in 1997, my first thought was "man the Canucks are really trying to capitalize on the Merchandise sales of the Colorado Avalanche."

Edited by morgo
  • Cheers 1

On 11/25/2020 at 4:16 PM, Tiger-Hearted said:

The Orca has long overstayed its welcome. Plus, the Sabres have hockey owners. The Canucks have real estate development owners who don't have a clue about hockey.

Do you honestly believe that an organization that would make this sort of investment would not know about hockey or like it? From a financial perspective do hockey franchises make a ton of money? Or is it a long term investment in which they hope the franchise value doubles? etc? Either way, it's a risk and I think every owner is a "Hockey Owner" as you put it.

• Cheers 2

On 11/26/2020 at 3:17 PM, Dumb Nuck said:

Just because we’re in the middle doesn’t mean there are lots here, the waters around Vancouver has an extremely low orca population, The logo was created for the corporation that owned the Canucks, not because Vancouver is famous for Orcas. 

And why exactly would that corporation name themselves after the Orca if it is not know here?

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, CaptKirk888 said:

And why exactly would that corporation name themselves after the Orca if it is not know here?

Why are you changing my words, I never said it is not known here, orcas are everywhere just like mosquitoes but we are not known for mosquitoes as many other places because we don’t have that many here, Mosquito Bay or Mosquito Coast does have a ring to it though and back then the other teams viewed us as pests so it may have been better. I said Vancouver is not famous for orcas and if you google what Vancouver is famous for orcas do not come up.

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1