The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

8 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Defensive player of the year.  Even Rodman wasn’t that effective in shutting down an opponent.:P

you are limiting him to nba awards

he might now receive nominations in the nhl, baseball, mls, maybe even the nfl - if that league gets sidetracked as well

:towel:

ps... just in case anyone misunderstands the humor

i do not hold gobert at all responsible

i believe he is simply the random first pro athlete diagnosed

too bad he did a silly display visible on national tv

just prior to his diagnosis

as that just gives him a bad look

i found his apology to be sincere, timely and credible

good for him that he stood up and faced the music

Edited by coastal.view
  • Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

still not as dramatic as

rudy gobert

shutting down the nba

and eventually all sports

7 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Defensive player of the year.  Even Rodman wasn’t that effective in shutting down an opponent.:P

5 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

you are limiting him to nba awards

he might now receive nominations in the nhl, baseball, mls, maybe even the nfl - if that league gets sidetracked as well

:towel:

Greatest shut down player of all time eos.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Curmudgeon said:

Ha ha. Saturday Night Fever was the most popular album when my wife and I were married. It was the movie we saw on our first date. Our wedding waltz was How Deep is Your Love. Still married, still dance to that song. 

It was the first R rated movie I snuck into see as a minor back in the old Capital 6 days!:lol:

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

2 minutes ago, Curmudgeon said:

Ha ha. Saturday Night Fever was the most popular album when my wife and I were married. It was the movie we saw on our first date. Our wedding waltz was How Deep is Your Love. Still married, still dance to that song. 

but

how long is your hair now ??

(and by some deduction... you are around your 40th anniversary?  congrats!!)

Edited by coastal.view

17 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

The problem is, most don't do that. They think, hey, let's walk the park or seawall ... not realizing there are 1000 other people now at home thinking the same thing. 

technically the seawall should be OK if everyone keeps their distance.... but then as you say what if there are 1000 other people doing it too? does that change the odds? lots of factors there. Maybe early morning would be OK I guess. I recently moved from that area and when i took the dog out at 7am it was a ghost town in the olympic village. 

2 hours ago, gurn said:

http://www.covid-19canada.com/

Japan  1,045 cases 36 dead           3.4% mortality 

Canada 1,189 cases 17 dead          1.2% mortality

Maybe Canadians should do what the Canadian authorities tell them to do.

U.S.     22,132 cases  282 deaths    1.2% mortality

Italy   53,578  cases  4,825 deaths   9% mortality.

4.2% worldwide rate of mortality.   

While i 100% agree with people doing what the Canadian authorities tell them, the %'s will always be a little off due to lack of testing / unreported cases. But, i believe overall we'll manage better here. 

3 minutes ago, IRR said:

While i 100% agree with people doing what the Canadian authorities tell them, the %'s will always be a little off due to lack of testing / unreported cases. But, i believe overall we'll manage better here. 

not really sure why you say there is some issue about testing/unreported cases

particularly our local authorities in bc

are very clear about the value of testing

the need to be targeted in testing

the need to conserve and utilize resources prudently 

to ensure such resources are still available in future when they may be even more valuable then now

not sure where you think the gaps are

the approach in bc has been pretty thorough and completely transparent

no one is expecting perfection i hope

go watch dr henry daily in her updates

and particularly listen closely to how she answers every question presented

she dodges none of them

after doing so for 10 days or so

you'll appreciate the nuances in her messaging

she is a complete pro and there is little reason to doubt her information

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, coastal.view said:

not really sure why you say there is some issue about testing/unreported cases

particularly our local authorities in bc

are very clear about the value of testing

the need to be targeted in testing

the need to conserve and utilize resources prudently 

to ensure such resources are still available in future when they may be even more valuable then now

not sure where you think the gaps are

the approach in bc has been pretty thorough and completely transparent

no one is expecting perfection i hope

go watch dr henry daily in her updates

and particularly listen closely to how she answers every question presented

she dodges none of them

after doing so for 10 days or so

you'll appreciate the nuances in her messaging

she is a complete pro and there is little reason to doubt her information

Never said they were hiding anything or that it's a issue...just saying it skews the numbers slightly.

2 hours ago, HKSR said:

Maybe... I'd assume there'd be lots of insurance payouts too? (ie. health)

Banks are losing out on interest and deferral of payments?

Have yet to know about law and legal claims... that'll probably come later.

Insurance could be hit hard if corona virus shuts down businesses and that triggers "business interruption" coverage. 

Business Interruption insurance covers a business financial loss such as lost profits and paying for ongoing expenses such as rent, hydro, etc when a business can no longer operate due to an insured risk. For instance a fire burns a restaurant down they can put in a claim for their financial losses if they have business Interruption coverage.

there are options to even cover salaries of some or all employees

Financial losses and ongoing expenses are usually covered for a year but can be longer so we are talking large payouts depending on how long these shutdowns will continue.

I have to read a policy to see if a shut down due to pandemic or civil order is covered.

If so expect higher insurance premiums going forward. 

Edited by AV's Coin

21 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Which talking point, exactly? Novel simply means ‘new’, it still exists within a class of viruses similar in many respects to influenza. One major issue here is lack of data gathered over a long enough time to determine actual death rates. As our experience with novel viruses accumulates, death rates drop significantly from initial measurements - which is why I said that the story on this virus will not be known for a considerable time. There are several factors here. At the onset of an outbreak many people get the virus but do not show significant symptoms and therefore don’t get included in the set of those infected. Secondly, initially only those showing significant symptoms get tested - so we don’t Know the denominator of the equation. Over time the death rate almost always drops significantly simply due to these measurement issues. Secondly, worst case estimates do not include what we do to ameliorate transmission, make treatment more effective (finding existing available treatments), developing new treatments, and developing vaccines. https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/16/lower-coronavirus-death-rate-estimates/

The talking point I highlighted.

And, yes, novel means new, which is exactly my point. It's not the flu, which we know lots about. We do not have a vaccine for C-19, nor do we know everything about it yet. However, what we do know is very concerning, see below:

flu_covid_comparison_1_high_res.jpg

• Upvote 1