The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

33 minutes ago, BoKnows said:

After a month and bit of no cases my community is seeing a large spike.  Majority of them being 19 or under.  Rumour around town is that a kid who got COVID from travelling outside the community went to a large party...  

More kids probably have it, especially if they were sharing vapes, drinks, tokes, etc.  

:picard:

‘Kids’ are dumb. Their dumbery is also contagious and lethal.

I suggest we lockdown ‘kids’. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, samurai said:

My impression of Dr. Henry is that she is highly competent and sound and BC has been extremely lucky to have someone like her.   She has impressed me.   

As parents it is hard to see how all this impacted our kids.  But once your kids starting going back to school everyone will see happier children like I did.

On this rare occasion, I agree with you lr assessment of Dr. Henry. 

My only criticism of her is that she walks the line a bit too much and that may come back to bite us with the amount of the second wave that’s due to arrive in the fall/winter. 

I’ll defer to her expertise however. I wouldn’t want anyone guiding us, despite my criticisms, other than her. 

• Wat 1

8 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

On this rare occasion, I agree with you lr assessment of Dr. Henry. 

My only criticism of her is that she walks the line a bit too much and that may come back to bite us with the amount of the second wave that’s due to arrive in the fall/winter. 

I’ll defer to her expertise however. I wouldn’t want anyone guiding us, despite my criticisms, other than her. 

Be interesting to see the second wave. Everyone will be on high alert and doctors better be ready to send out notices to patients for employers because there will probably be a large amount of seasonal flu and people will loose it and try to blame covid 19 right away. 

3 hours ago, stawns said:

Within three minutes after the PC was over my union sent out an email saying there was no consultation with bctf (or presumably cupe) and the bctf was absolutely against the re-opening plan.  My understanding is that the bctf was pushing for a gradual, phased return to schools with certain benchmarks to make sure it was safe for students, staff and families.  It would seem they were ignored.  The bctf is saying this isn't over 

BCTF is concerned with the health of kids and adults working in schools - and of course their families.

BC gov.  is primarily concerned about rebooting the economy. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

5 minutes ago, Russ said:

Be interesting to see the second wave. Everyone will be on high alert and doctors better be ready to send out notices to patients for employers because there will probably be a large amount of seasonal flu and people will loose it and try to blame covid 19 right away. 

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion. And will it really be like the first one?  For example are we going to see 80% of all fatalities occurring in care homes - highly unlikely.   As you mention as well we are going to have all the other seasonal illnesses tossed in to the mix and competing. 

Better treatments, better awareness and practice and then other illnesses will be in play.  Around the world we are seeing an increase in infections, but deaths and hospitalizations in most countries is dropping or stable.  It's not killing in say Italy like it was.  So much of this second wave depends on how you want to define it.  It will definitely not be like the first one.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Russ said:

I read a compelling article the other day saying that there likely won't be a noticeable second wave, it will be just one big wave, which we can hopefully keep flattened. I also read some sources that say the seasonal flu numbers are going to be way down as well because of mask use and social distancing, and other measures like sanitizing and hand washing should also bring down numbers. We shall see.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Toews said:

I read a compelling article the other day saying that there likely won't be a noticeable second wave, it will be just one big wave, which we can hopefully keep flattened. I also read some sources that say the seasonal flu numbers are going to be way down as well because of mask use and social distancing, and other measures like sanitizing and hand washing should also bring down numbers. We shall see.

In other words the healthy part of the population will continue to get infected to certain rates with few deaths and hospitalizations like we are seeing now.  And with all the testing that is going on Covid will be in the news for a long time to come.  We are already seeing this big wave right now.  Everywhere infections are up. 

6 hours ago, samurai said:

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion. And will it really be like the first one?  For example are we going to see 80% of all fatalities occurring in care homes - highly unlikely.   As you mention as well we are going to have all the other seasonal illnesses tossed in to the mix and competing. 

Better treatments, better awareness and practice and then other illnesses will be in play.  Around the world we are seeing an increase in infections, but deaths and hospitalizations in most countries is dropping or stable.  It's not killing in say Italy like it was.  So much of this second wave depends on how you want to define it.  It will definitely not be like the first one.

Yea with all the extra sanitizer, cleaning etc, wonder if the seasonal will be down quite a bit too? Plus new rules for health care workers in care homes etc. Maybe we won't see that gigantic spike especially when the weather turns to regular BC weather again and we don't have all this sun to go out and mingle. 

2 hours ago, Russ said:

Yea with all the extra sanitizer, cleaning etc, wonder if the seasonal will be down quite a bit too? Plus new rules for health care workers in care homes etc. Maybe we won't see that gigantic spike especially when the weather turns to regular BC weather again and we don't have all this sun to go out and mingle. 

I think so.  I think winter flu deaths will also be down in some countries because  of Covid this past winter.  Most of Euro was having a mild flu season until Covid hit, which again means these people who would normally be taken by the flu were taken by Covid unfortunately.   And now the upcoming winter there are fewer people to take because Covid got greedy last winter.  Toss in all the safety measures now as well.

As long as there is lots of testing there is going to be lots of infections.  I read 750,000 tests are conducted daily,  Tests for flu don't even come close to that number - it is the top story every night.  Most of the cases they have now where I am are reported as mild - so they are testing and reporting people who are slightly sick and went to the doctor and got tested because they were scared.   How many of them would normally go to the doctor with mild symptoms.   The best thing they could do is just self-isolate and wait rather than rush to the doctor and make the evening news.   Where I am the gov't just needs to keep reminding people that if you have any kind of symptom stay home and stay away from family.  It is the smartest thing anyone can do.   Most infections are from symptomatic people.  In other words people who have clear symptoms are the main spreaders. 

Edited by samurai

Here's another angle.   How many people will get a flu shot this year who normally don't?  Especially for those who can't afford to be off sick because their flu symptoms may trigger COVID quarantine protocols. 

I know some years that the flu shot isn't as effective because they incorrectly assumed the wrong strains, but it still provides some protection. 

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Cheers 1

Herman Caine, swearing off masks.  Refusing to wear one and downplaying the severity of the virus is now dead.  As is another individual close to trump Bill Montgomry 

You literally cannot write this kind of karmic darwinism

Edited by Warhippy
  • Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

Herman Caine, swearing off masks.  Refusing to wear one and downplaying the severity of the virus is now dead.  As is another individual close to trump Bill Montgomry 

I pray for anyone he might’ve infected due to his own stupidity. 

• Vintage 2

Has  BC  become the only  anti mask province in Canada...... ?

Update : Ontario elementary students to go back to school full time in September, while most high school students will alternate days between class and online learning. All students Grade 4 and above to wear a mask.
Edited by kingofsurrey

14 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

BCTF is concerned with the health of kids and adults working in schools - and of course their families.

BC gov.  is primarily concerned about rebooting the economy. 

That's why everyone else calls it Bring Cash. Pretending is not an option anymore. 

2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

7 hours ago, Russ said:

5 hours ago, samurai said:

I think so.  I think winter flu deaths will also be down in some countries because  of Covid this past winter.  Most of Euro was having a mild flu season until Covid hit, which again means these people who would normally be taken by the flu were taken by Covid unfortunately.   And now the upcoming winter there are fewer people to take because Covid got greedy last winter.  Toss in all the safety measures now as well.

As long as there is lots of testing there is going to be lots of infections.  I read 750,000 tests are conducted daily,  Tests for flu don't even come close to that number - it is the top story every night.  Most of the cases they have now where I am are reported as mild - so they are testing and reporting people who are slightly sick and went to the doctor and got tested because they were scared.   How many of them would normally go to the doctor with mild symptoms.   The best thing they could do is just self-isolate and wait rather than rush to the doctor and make the evening news.   Where I am the gov't just needs to keep reminding people that if you have any kind of symptom stay home and stay away from family.  It is the smartest thing anyone can do.   Most infections are from symptomatic people.  In other words people who have clear symptoms are the main spreaders. 

3 hours ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

Here's another angle.   How many people will get a flu shot this year who normally don't?  Especially for those who can't afford to be off sick because their flu symptoms may trigger COVID quarantine protocols. 

I know some years that the flu shot isn't as effective because they incorrectly assumed the wrong strains, but it still provides some protection. 

This all gives me hope. if you know numbers and stats these are good ideas to believe in. there is always a trade off. Hoping for the best and preparing for the worst is a good fallback but preparing for the best outcome is even better if you do it right.