The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

14 hours ago, AbbyNux said:

Any discussion of vaccination status? 

This is about children.   Vaccines for 5 to 11 were only just approved (about 1/3rd of the adult dose with some formulation changes).   For under 5 it will be a bit longer as the initial clinical trial didn't produce sufficient antibodies.  Probably due to the reduced dosage (about 1/10th the adult dose).  

So no real need to mention vaccination status.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

I'm a PRO vaxer, as most know from my own posts.  Pretty dumb to dismiss what the vast majority of medical experts say, who are 1000x smarter than me.

But I do think there has to be a time when a less severe variant like Omnicron goes through most of the population. We are being told that eventually everyone will get some version of it.

I don't hear too many shows where this is discussed.  In that, we actually do achieve "herd immunity". Where so many of us have recovered, even if with hardly any symptoms because we were vaccinated, and developed our own antibodies against it.

So theoretically, there should be a time when we treat it like having a bad cold.  And we look at the a-holes who come to work, or school, and are clearly sick with coughing and runny nose etc...with the same level of distaste, but not outright fear, whether it is a cold, or if its COVID.  ie...we still take them off the Christmas card list, but don't freak out like they brought the Black Plague into the building.

And in many ways, this Omnicron variant, being a more mild version, is the perfect candidate to ease us into herd immunity.  I'm not suggesting purposely exacerbating it, or stopping the mandates, just maybe more of an acceptance of it being here now, and dealing with it.  Am I being radical in thinking this?

We mostly have done what we set out to do.....flatten the curve. So as not to overwhelm our hospitals, as well as kill off all our health-issue vulnerable people and very old.  Hurrah for us!   No thanks to the selfish, deluded, creed of anti science dumbbells who worked against that goal.  (And you just know that they will be the first to say..."see? everyone is fine...its not that bad...we were right!")  WOOOOOOOSH.

9 hours ago, Chip Kelly said:

I am thinking of layering my masks in any crowded or indoor settings with the winter weather this is the way to go the next 2 and a half months.

FHAUUzrWUAQ1a9r?format=jpg&name=360x360

lol.

But does anyone else think that half the people that wear a mask, outdoors, walking by themselves even, are using it mostly as a kind of face scarf in this cold weather?  Also as an excuse to be more anonymous perhaps.  I can see the mask becoming more of a staple for many folks going forward.

• Cheers 4

8 minutes ago, kilgore said:

I'm a PRO vaxer, as most know from my own posts.  Pretty dumb to dismiss what the vast majority of medical experts say, who are 1000x smarter than me.

But I do think there has to be a time when a less severe variant like Omnicron goes through most of the population. We are being told that eventually everyone will get some version of it.

I don't hear too many shows where this is discussed.  In that, we actually do achieve "herd immunity". Where so many of us have recovered, even if with hardly any symptoms because we were vaccinated, and developed our own antibodies against it.

So theoretically, there should be a time when we treat it like having a bad cold.  And we look at the a-holes who come to work, or school, and are clearly sick with coughing and runny nose etc...with the same level of distaste, but not outright fear, whether it is a cold, or if its COVID.  ie...we still take them off the Christmas card list, but don't freak out like they brought the Black Plague into the building.

And in many ways, this Omnicron variant, being a more mild version, is the perfect candidate to ease us into herd immunity.  I'm not suggesting purposely exacerbating it, or stopping the mandates, just maybe more of an acceptance of it being here now, and dealing with it.  Am I being radical in thinking this?

We mostly have done what we set out to do.....flatten the curve. So as not to overwhelm our hospitals, as well as kill off all our health-issue vulnerable people and very old.  Hurrah for us!   No thanks to the selfish, deluded, creed of anti science dumbbells who worked against that goal.  (And you just know that they will be the first to say..."see? everyone is fine...its not that bad...we were right!")  WOOOOOOOSH.

lol.

But does anyone else think that half the people that wear a mask, outdoors, walking by themselves even, are using it mostly as a kind of face scarf in this cold weather?  Also as an excuse to be more anonymous perhaps.  I can see the mask becoming more of a staple for many folks going forward.

The pandemic.has really brought home that presenteesem costs far more than an employee getting sick pay to stay home.

Thats a big part of why every working as of Jan 1st has access to.up to 5 paid sick days.

Another issue is chronic understaffed in some occupations. Owners forced sick employees to come to work as they can't hire any more staff.  The reason isn't because no one wants to work like they claim  .... its because the wages and benefits are so poor that the jobs are not viable for most people

Many jobs in health care fall under this.  Many pay just over minimum wage or close to it.  But there are many other industries that fall under this as well

My hope post pandemic is people who are sick stay home and employers are forced to oay living wages rather than run to goverment for more foreign workers.

Nothing against anyone coming to Canada to work but if there good enough to work here then they should be good enough to become Canadians 

Never again can we see wages that poor that things like CERB was major life improvements.fir many

It's the whole work.should lift a person out of poverty not keep them there thing

And with this variant its clear that just about every person will be getting it over the next few months. Thankfully with vaccines and boosters it's greatly limiting ( so far ) hospitalizations and mortalities. It is because of vaccines that this 5th wave although the most contagious is also so far the weakest of them.

Given that I can see us transitioning to.an endemic by spring.  

When this is behind us goverment needs to mint a medal for every health care and essential worker.... and a special.medal for poor retail,  grocery store staff and restaurant staff that were treated like garbage by the anti crowd.that used them to unload on 

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, kilgore said:

lol.

I don't think anyone would disagree, but we can'takebtyat determination until we know, with absolute certainty that this strain truly is mild.  If we assume that and it turns out it isn't, we're proper f***ed.

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

I don't think anyone would disagree, but we can'takebtyat determination until we know, with absolute certainty that this strain truly is mild.  If we assume that and it turns out it isn't, we're proper f***ed.

It’s milder, especially in the vaccinated.  

@nytimes reports hopeful findings from studies of how the Omicron variant affects infected animals:

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Yeah.  I understand they still don't know everything about this  new variant.  Or even the base COVID 19 virus for that matter.

But by all accounts, it is less severe.  So, I'm just speaking out of my @#$ but maybe this is the exact variant we need at this particular time in the fight.  That if we are "too" successful in suppressing Omnicron, and another more deadly variant sprouts up, we will still have many people that have not gotten COVID at all yet, and are more vulnerable to get the worse variant.  So if we are going to all get it eventually, perhaps Omnicron is Mother Natures gift in a way?   Just thinking out loud.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

lol.

I like not having to shave if I feel lazy. The mask helps. ::D 

I imagine some people will wear them far into the future even if the threat is lessened. I agree with the basic premise of what you're saying although I think it will take 2-3 months of capturing data and seeing the results before any actions can be approved. Maybe more but I am hoping this is the light at the end of the tunnel.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Hey Folks

Just a little update on my booster...........

I received a Moderna Booster after having Pfizer for my first 2 shots

Received  it at 430 pm yesterday

I woke up several times throughout the night with severe join and muscle pain

This continued throughout the morning until now

I am feeling fine now, so basically 20 hours of assorted issues

IMO, totally worth the speed bump

Had moderna each time. 1st shot was pretty taxing and rendered my left arm dead. 2nd one just the arm issue. Will get booster the next week or so. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

Why? We're vaccinated. 

• Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

51 minutes ago, AbbyNux said:

Why? We're vaccinated. 

Still about 8% selfish, cowardly adults out there who refuse these vaccines.  Omicron is going to get them for sure.  They are already starting to fill up our hospitals again.  The health minister Sadie this today on his CKNW interview.  He said the small number of unvaccinated are the ones putting the strain on our system.  

• Like 2
  • Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

So far in my fam.

Mum has a decent sore throat but thats about it...76 yrs...double vaxxed and boosted.

Wife and I, general flu symptoms but not the worst flu I've had...47 / 51 yrs ....double vaxxed.

Brother, 16 hours in bed with extreme fever and chills.....53yrs..... anti-vaxxer

Get the vax. 

glad to hear you're doing relatively OK. 

I feel you on the relative thing, I have them too. 

• Cheers 2