The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

4 hours ago, surtur said:

No they didn't. Now that the year is over look at the CDC total deaths for 2020 and compare them to the last decade and please share what you find. Hint I was 100% correct months ago (long before the John Hopkins data came out that was removed because it didn't fit the narrative) when I said the death rate in the US is on pace to be exactly where it would have been without Covid. you have all been had and you are still eating up everything they are feeding you open your eyes.

Lol...you must be getting your info the same place as Trump. As Raff would say...your data is incorrect. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

My dad spent 40 years as a surgeon in BC.

He was always against any interference in the delivery of medial services by any level of government.

However, He would be absolutely on board with everyone saying  to the government today.  Get the vaccines out there.  

To me and him leadership is about leading the way.   We need the vaccine to be delivered.  Anything else is paltry nonsense at this point.

Get it together Horgan, Bonnie and Dix. Deliver the vaccine faster to your people.

• Cheers 4

9 hours ago, Jaimito said:

Should have done it earlier. They are forced to do it now due to overwhelmed hospital system. Now people with non covid diseases will suffer too. 

Don’t totally disagree. Part of the issue is the London centric approach, London was in tier 2 when it had higher rates and infections and only when it got out of control did they move and create a tier 4. They left it to late - when they had evidence in September. 

not only this when we came out of the first lockdown the rates in London had stabilised but in the north it still needed to be locked down- this meant that it never stabilised up there and the response was always behind. 

also the unwillingness of politicians to actually mandate or use the police to enforce is part of the problem. When London hit tier 4 the scenes in the station of people fleeing out was disgraceful. Many areas with second homes infection rates jumped and this allowed the newer strain to take gold quicker. 

Now we have to deal with the repercussions. This was never going to be easy but the leadership has always been reactionary in England rather than trying to get ahead of it, and are governing by how people react to policy rather than introducing what is needed

6 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

My dad spent 40 years as a surgeon in BC.

He was always against any interference in the delivery of medial services by any level of government.

However, He would be absolutely on board with everyone saying  to the government today.  Get the vaccines out there.  

To me and him leadership is about leading the way.   We need the vaccine to be delivered.  Anything else is paltry nonsense at this point.

Get it together Horgan, Bonnie and Dix. Deliver the vaccine faster to your people.

Everyone is having problems rolling these vaccines out.

Interesting that Canadian snowbirds in Florida are able to get vaccinated.  I'm torn, happy that they are getting vaccinated, but think it's unfair that they are getting in line ahead of front line workers and Florida residents.  Process makes no sense to me....but lately that isn't unusual.  

Like a ‘rock concert’: Coronavirus vaccines a hot ticket for Canadian snowbirds (msn.com)

Getting a coronavirus vaccine these days is tougher than booking a ticket for a popular rock concert.

“The rush for these spaces is just like a Rolling Stones concert," said George Wolff, a 71-year-old Canadian who lives in the U.S. state of Florida.

Wolff and his wife Gigi Guthrie drove 60 miles outside of their home county in Tampa Bay to get the highly-coveted Moderna vaccine last Thursday.

“Boy, it feels like a weight’s been lifted from our shoulders, even though we're only on the first dose,” Wolff, the now retired journalist, told Global News.

His wife Guthrie, 73, booked the appointment online after checking several county websites for any openings. They were able to get a slot at a drive-thru vaccination site in Pasco County at about an hour and a half’s drive from their house in St. Petersburg.

“It’s certainly worth it because the peace of mind and our spirits have been so elevated that we're ready for the second one when it comes,” she told Global News.

However, their experience was much smoother than it has been for many others, who had to camp out overnight waiting for hours in long queues to get the shot.

With the second-largest elderly population in the country, Florida is prioritizing people aged 65 and above, who began receiving the coronavirus vaccines last week.

“Anyone who can prove they are 65 years of age and older is eligible to receive a vaccine at no cost in Florida,” a spokesperson at the Florida Department of Health told Global News on Monday.

It is one of the few U.S. states that has started rolling out vaccines to people beyond the key groups of front-line health-care workers and long-term care homes. And no proof of residency or citizenship seems to be required, which means Canadian snowbirds and other older seasonal visitors are also able to get vaccinated.

Meanwhile, in Canada, vaccines are currently being given out to only those seniors living in long-term care facilities.

As of Jan. 3, Florida had vaccinated a total of 255,808 people, including 74,242 seniors aged 65 and above, according to the latest data from the state’s health department.

In contrast, Canada’s largest province of Ontario had administered 42,419 doses until Monday.

While some places require an advance booking online or over the phone, others, like in Lee County in southwest Florida, offered free vaccines on a first-come first-serve basis, leading seniors to flock to the vaccination sites.

Snowbirds Perry Cohen and wife Rose, who flew down to Deerfield Beach, Fla., from Toronto at the beginning of December, were set to get the Moderna vaccine on Tuesday.

After several unsuccessful attempts with the Broward County website doing down, the couple were finally able to book an appointment online through their community on Friday.

They are among the first at their gated community for seniors to be getting inoculated at the premises.

“Well, I figure our timing is good. When we left we had no idea that we can get the vaccine here, but we wanted to come down for the climate, the safety, we're able to exercise, we're able to get out,” Cohen, 74, told Global News.

“It's a great way to start the New Year and we're anxious to get it.”

Article goes on to talk about risks if reactions etc, insurance blah blah.  

• Cheers 1

Trying to look and compare cocos deaths across countries or even states is difficult as the measurements they use will create a different set of metrics. 

Also as harsh as it sounds you need to take into account the fact that covid may  have been a final factor in a death, but they person may have died anyway within a similar space of time.

the fairest way to look at figures is to look at excess deaths. This accounts for the above scenario, and also accounts for issues with health services being stretched and it impacting on other areas like cancellation of cancer screening, and other care provisions (heart attacks mortality rates etc) 

image.thumb.jpeg.da0ed6e56e649f3289285107791ae5b7.jpeg

Effective Thursday, people wanting to return to Canada have to produce a negative COVID test (along with the already in place 2 week quarantine plan).  Isolation plans will be reviewed and if unacceptable, people will be required to stay in federal facilities until the two week period is over.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Effective Thursday, people wanting to return to Canada have to produce a negative COVID test (along with the already in place 2 week quarantine plan).  Isolation plans will be reviewed and if unacceptable, people will be required to stay in federal facilities until the two week period is over.

I think that something like this should have been in place from the beginning.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

They've already started giving second doses in the UK.  Now the US is starting to give second doses.  For the average Janes and Joes who are questioning the vaccines, these people are providing the data for and informed conclusion.  That these vaccines are not as dangerous as anti-vaxxers make them out to be.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-covid-vaccine-news-sandra-lindsay-b1782376.html?utm_source=reddit.com

New York nurse is first in US to be fully vaccinated after receiving second shot

Nurse Sandra Lindsay says she would like to use her experience to debunk vaccine misconceptions

2 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

The pre-travel test means nothing, because it doesn't guarantee you won't pick it up between the time you take the test and when you disembark from the flight after landing on Canadian soil.  If the government was truly serious about limiting spread, they would be testing all arrivals - and requiring sequestering and quarantine - at first point of arrival in Canada until negative post-arrival test result is confirmed.  This would likely mean the need of a field hospital at the four airports receiving international flights.

The land border would be more problematic, since transport trucks shouldn't be held up at the border.  Perhaps a rapid test regime might be necessary there, as unreliable as the results may be.

I agree with your post, except the bolded.  Shouldn't travelers demonstrate that they are negative prior to boarding a plane where they may be interacting with other passengers in a confined space for hours?  Wouldn't that limit spread?

6 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I agree with your post, except the bolded.  Shouldn't travelers demonstrate that they are negative prior to boarding a plane where they may be interacting with other passengers in a confined space for hours?  Wouldn't that limit spread?

But unless it's rapid test, which is unreliable, how can you be sure the person hasn't contracted COVID in the time between taking the test and boarding the plane?

• Vintage 1

5 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

But unless it's rapid test, which is unreliable, how can you be sure the person hasn't contracted COVID in the time between taking the test and boarding the plane?

Splitting hairs here I guess.  I know that relying on testing isn't 100% effective.  The White House demonstrated this in spades.  Thing is, it is better than doing nothing.  And for far too long, we've done nothing or the things we did were far more ineffective than what is being implemented.

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I think that something like this should have been in place from the beginning.

Yes, and like places such as Singapore; these people would be put up in quarantine hotels at their own expense. This would support our Hospitality industry as well since they would need hotel rooms, food, room service, etc. Should have been done way sooner.

I wanna rock!!!!  Rock!!!!!!!

Tinfoil hatters: Why do people not take us seriously?

Answer:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/5g-covid-guitar-pedal-b1782573.html

CONSPIRACY THEORISTS SPREAD ‘5G COVID’ MIND-CONTROL CHIP DIAGRAM THAT IS ACTUALLY A GUITAR PEDAL

Conspiracy theorists claimed the chip could control people’s minds, despite the diagram being for a Boss Metal Zone MT-2 pedal

• Haha 4

16 minutes ago, thedestroyerofworlds said:

I wanna rock!!!!  Rock!!!!!!!

Tinfoil hatters: Why do people not take us seriously?

Answer:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/5g-covid-guitar-pedal-b1782573.html

CONSPIRACY THEORISTS SPREAD ‘5G COVID’ MIND-CONTROL CHIP DIAGRAM THAT IS ACTUALLY A GUITAR PEDAL

Conspiracy theorists claimed the chip could control people’s minds, despite the diagram being for a Boss Metal Zone MT-2 pedal

There's a reason we call them Distortion Pedals....

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3