The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

16 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Just dug up the annual stats for folks in different demographics in BC from the flu.   Over the last five years.   Can say that a lot more so far then from Covid, starting in the age bracket of 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc all the way up to 36-40.    Not saying Covid isn’t a lot more deadly because that’s a fact.   But I am saying that the flu has killed more so far as well in B.C.  in that demographic.   Not to be callous, but the demographic that it’s hurting the most is the folks past 75.    Older baby boomers and the greatest generation both whom I have a ton of respect for.

Wouldn’t want to be the actuary that balances out the divorce rate, the lost income, kids missing prom and trying their first year of university online, folks losing their businesses, the mile long waiting list on elective surgeries ... in ONT TO is overrun and they are sending folks to Barrie.  98% of the hospitals outside of TO area you could hear a pin drop two wards over 

Edited by IBatch
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Just dug up the annual stats for folks in different demographics in BC from the flu.   Over the last five years.   Can say that a lot more so far then from Covid, starting in the age bracket of 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc all the way up to 36-40.    Not saying Covid isn’t a lot more deadly because that’s a fact.   But I am saying that the flu has killed more so far as well in B.C.  in that demographic. 

The way you typed this out seems you are comparing 5 years of flu with 1 year of covid?

And do you have a link to the annual flu totals?

13 minutes ago, gurn said:

The way you typed this out seems you are comparing 5 years of flu with 1 year of covid?

And do you have a link to the annual flu totals?

No I don’t know how to do that.   I got into stats Canada under B.C., and they have easy to find and see charts year to year with different causes of death.   The tough part is their age ranges are in five years - started at the bottom and worked my way up.    Out of curiosity mostly.    Only searched the past five years starting at 2019.   It showed five years consecutively beside each year.   For example in the 10-14 bracket 6-8 kids died each year under the flu bracket. 

Edit: And again I’m not an idiot and know this is serious - we’ve been told this is a lot deadlier then the flu - 3 times or more so.   However it’s pretty obvious which demographic this is the most dangerous against - and it’s not as “deadly” as the flu against some for anyone who’s interested in it - the stats are available if you look. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, KoreanHockeyFan said:

^Great article. Thanks for sharing. 

I saw these on the Coronavirus subreddit.  Thought it would be good to post here as a large number of us never heard of RNA vaccines, let alone their potential.  There are people who have issues, and factual information is the best disinfectant.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Just dug up the annual stats for folks in different demographics in BC from the flu.   Over the last five years.   Can say that a lot more so far then from Covid, starting in the age bracket of 1-5, 6-10, 11-15, etc all the way up to 36-40.    Not saying Covid isn’t a lot more deadly because that’s a fact.   But I am saying that the flu has killed more so far as well in B.C.  in that demographic.   Not to be callous, but the demographic that it’s hurting the most is the folks past 75.    Older baby boomers and the greatest generation both whom I have a ton of respect for.

Wouldn’t want to be the actuary that balances out the divorce rate, the lost income, kids missing prom and trying their first year of university online, folks losing their businesses, the mile long waiting list on elective surgeries ... in ONT TO is overrun and they are sending folks to Barrie.  98% of the hospitals outside of TO area you could hear a pin drop two wards over 

There is no balance to the lives of human beings and the people that live them

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

There is no balance to the lives of human beings and the people that live

Think you missed the point.   I’m not debating that based on principle life matters most because it does.   But their will be and for sure has been a cost.

How do you  compare an extra two years on an 82 year old,  to a fractured family, bankruptcy and other social issues that this pandemic has brought to a lot of families?   I’m not bellyaching about not being able to leave my house - could care less about that.  Seems  kind of  cruel and callous as it  -but  you can bet insurance actuaries are busy crunching numbers - same as the powers that be in every country in the world.   There are a lot of other issues that don’t shut an economy down - like homeless folks and poverty.   Maybe we should all just work for free for a month or two and help them out when this is over, would be game for that. 

Not trying to get into a debate over it - and like I said I wouldn’t want to be the one making policies over this or being a doctor deciding who might live (which has yet to happen in Canada fortunately).   But there for sure is a lot of suffering behind the scenes as a result, divorce rates are way up, kids aren’t having a normal life, and there is a lot to consider just to keep the ICU’s from filling up while we wait for vaccinations.

Know a Dr.  in one of the biggest hospitals in ONT, they shut it all down in the first wave - it was empty.   Now it’s full to capacity and they are sending patients to outside hospitals (although the 145 ICU isn’t there yet).  Aside from a few parts of the 7.5 million living in the GTA not much else going on but they shut it all down anyways - the whole province.  Who knows exactly what the right balance is - but you can bet there is one, and not sure they got it right.  You might be surprised at how many old folks would rather just get it - and have things normal so they don’t have to waste a couple precious years doing this.   Young ones too.  There really is no absolute right or wrong on this - which is the point I’m making, as well as not wanting any part of having to make those policy decisions.    This has been particularly tough on a lot of young people just starting out.   Who knows what the cost of that is going to be long term too.   

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Had a fever and chills this morning. Just got back from the drive through covid test site. 1/2 hour but everyone was nice there. Got the swab. Nurse goes, it's like diving in a pool. I laughed. Weird and uncomfortable for 10 seconds then it's done. Guess I'll find out in a few days. Stay safe everyone. 

Good luck my friend, keep us posted.  I, too, had some weird stuff going on but 8-1-1 told me I had to call 9-1-1 so I got a free pass for an ambulance ride to ER.  Woohoo! 

Did you go to the one at YVR?   I opted for the saline gargle test the last two I went for there...HATE the nose swab.

Participated in the Moderna trial.  1st shot in Aug.  Second shot in Sept.  The family members got it around Thanksgiving.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_f1715c7a-590c-11eb-9f20-cbe92953b689.html

An entire Louisiana family got coronavirus -- except for this vaccine trial participant

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds

15 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Good luck my friend, keep us posted.  I, too, had some weird stuff going on but 8-1-1 told me I had to call 9-1-1 so I got a free pass for an ambulance ride to ER.  Woohoo! 

Did you go to the one at YVR?   I opted for the saline gargle test the last two I went for there...HATE the nose swab.

Went to the one on West 33rd. Holy crap I got my test results back already. It's negative. So I just have the flu. A relief in some ways. Still sucks I have a fever. 

Yeah, if I have to get tested again I'll try the gargle test. Hopefully I won't have to get another test. Good luck Deb! 

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 1

13 hours ago, stawns said:

Trying hard not to jinx it or get ahead of myself, but I'm riding a wave of 4-5 days of feeling pretty decent.....decent being maybe 65% of where I was last year, before covid.  

It's been about 10 days short of a full year since I got sick and until this run, I've been lucky to get 3-4 decent days in a month.  Hopefully this is the start of a full recovery.  

Keep getting better Stawns! 

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Went to the one on West 33rd. Holy crap I got my test results back already. It's negative. So I just have the flu. A relief in some ways. Still sucks I have a fever. 

Yeah, if I have to get tested again I'll try the gargle test. Hopefully I won't have to get another test. Good luck Deb! 

Caught it in November. Lost around ten pounds, and temporarily some sense of taste and smell. I would honestly say that getting the Norwalk virus was worse. 

• Cheers 1

On 1/18/2021 at 10:45 AM, IBatch said:

Interesting, because merely typing covid versus flu into bing got these results;

https://www.bing.com/search?q=flu+versus+covid+mortality+rates&form=ANNTH1&refig=ac14f2ccda554f2c9c0cced25e52b431&sp=2&qs=RI&pq=covid+versus+flu&sk=PRES1RI1&sc=2-16&cvid=ac14f2ccda554f2c9c0cced25e52b431

• Cheers 1