The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

44 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Canada is on 55th place in terms of people been vaccinated per 100:

https://ourworldindata.org/covid-vaccinations

and looks like we are falling behind every day.

Really sad, our government failed us miserably. I know that , at the end of the day, everybody will be vaccinated, but still...

Wha wha wha. We are only a few weeks off. 

53 minutes ago, Silent Man said:

Virus will mutate, no matter what. That's why we have a new flu vaccine every year. The same will happen with Covid

Not necessarily as the new vaccine technology discovered during this pandemic has made it possible to have a vaccine that will be good for all flu. Also possibly for Covid and colds, maybe even cancers. 

3 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Really sad, our government failed us miserably. I know that , at the end of the day, everybody will be vaccinated, but still...

Both our CDN federal and our BC Provincial government  have both really failed us in the fight against covid.....

BC gov with its inaction in establishing covid prevention policies / regulations  ....  and the Feds with the poor planning concerning sourcing vaccine. 

11 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Just a question; Has it been established what exactly the cause of this was? 

Is it still wet-market? Is that confirmed? Is the thought it could've come from the Wuhan lab valid, or is that a Trumpist QAnnon theory? 

Last week tonight had a piece on what the next pandemic may look like.

Habitat destruction, loss of ecological diversity, closer interact between humans and wildlife, factory farming, trade in live wildlife are but a few factors that produced this pandemic and will result in the next one. 

"Wet markets" were not generally the issue.   This describes markets that are a lot similar to large farmers/public markets in other parts of the world.   The issue is that some of these markets also sell live wild animals from around the world, whose health has been affected by stress, in close proximity to each other.  That provides the perfect conditions for viruses to pass between animals.

Bats are a major reservoir of viruses due to there being so many of them and their immune system.   Due to there being more and more close interactions between us and them, along with trade in wild animals, it is highly likely that this pandemic was started by this coronavirus passing from bat to animal, possibly with that interaction occurring in or around the market.  To say this virus came from the lab, is something that will need significant evidence beyond what gets passes around in typical tinfoil hatters YouTube videos.

2 hours ago, kingofsurrey said:

Both our CDN federal and our BC Provincial government  have both really failed us in the fight against covid.....

BC gov with its inaction in establishing covid prevention policies / regulations  ....  and the Feds with the poor planning concerning sourcing vaccine. 

Ya ok superhero. 

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Virus will mutate, no matter what. That's why we have a new flu vaccine every year. The same will happen with Covid

I’m well aware of that, the point was more about letting it run out of control gives it the ability to do so easier, stronger controls and aims to reduce the virus in the community helps reduces the places it can get to, and helps reduce the chance of mutation. 

it’s not surprising that three current strains which are of concern look to have mutated in Brazil, South Africa and the UK. 

this one in the article I’m not sure if it’s origin but the point still stands 

15 hours ago, Silent Man said:

This is concerning.  Why?  Timelines keep getting pushed back and I'm sick of JT's cheery "everyone who wants to be will be vaccinated by September".

That's not good enough.  How many will die in between?  

My Dad's had to rebook surgery several times and just did again...pushed from March to May in hope that he'll be vaccinated before he goes in.  If not, he's cancelling again but his mobility is deteriorating and he spends most of his time in bed.  Use it or you'll lose it stuff....and he's losing it.  JT HAS to be held accountable for this delay because it's not ok.  I know the circumstances are somewhat beyond his control....but are they?  

People over 80 are at great risk and need a sense of urgency here.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 2/15/2021 at 4:40 PM, Cerridwen said:

It wouldn't surprise me if that was the case.

The coworker of a friend went to China last December and ended up spending 6 weeks off work when he got sick upon his return. He had spent time in the office here when he returned, before he got sick and was at home. 9 of the 12 people in the office got sick (including my friend) with similar symptoms. Some were sicker than others...some were off work for almost 8 weeks. In hindsight, all the symptoms everyone had were the same as COVID 19. People just felt they'd come down with a really bad flu...right down to the loss of taste and smell which they just assumed were part of the cold/bronchitis/pneumonia symptoms. For some people, it's been up to 6 months before feeling their last December selves again.

So...who knows? I've always believed that COVID 19 (before it mutated to what it is today) was here long before they announced the 'first' case...they just didn't test for it. People just died of pneumonia or influenza or they 'recovered'.

I'm pretty sure I'm suffering long hauler stuff....was sicker than I've ever been in December, 2019 and for months wheezed and was short of breath (that's NEVER been the case with me).  I recall going to games after I'd recovered and the walk over the bridge was weirdly difficult...I've never had an issue with it and a few times I stopped and actually thought "what is going on here?".    Currently having heart issues that, again....never had anything before and no family history.  A trip to ER for laboured breathing/chest pain recently exposed some really erratic heart stuff that is being followed up on.  Stress test confirmed something is going on.  Get some more testing in March  but feel like I should go for an antibody test...no one's connecting the dots but I certainly am considering that my current issues stem back to that illness and makes me wonder "if".

I wonder how long this thing HAS been present...I feel like it predates the "known/confirmed" dates.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'm pretty sure I'm suffering long hauler stuff....was sicker than I've ever been in December, 2019 and for months wheezed and was short of breath (that's NEVER been the case with me).  I recall going to games after I'd recovered and the walk over the bridge was weirdly difficult...I've never had an issue with it and a few times I stopped and actually thought "what is going on here?".    Currently having heart issues that, again....never had anything before and no family history.  A trip to ER for laboured breathing/chest pain recently exposed some really erratic heart stuff that is being followed up on.  Stress test confirmed something is going on.  Get some more testing in March  but feel like I should go for an antibody test...no one's connecting the dots but I certainly am considering that my current issues stem back to that illness and makes me wonder "if".

I wonder how long this thing HAS been present...I feel like it predates the "known/confirmed" dates.

my wife went here when she was having some issues - might be worth asking your GP for a referral its a great program with a focus on women's heart health: https://www.ubccardio.com/specialty-clinics/womens-heart-health-at-vgh/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

This is concerning.  Why?  Timelines keep getting pushed back and I'm sick of JT's cheery "everyone who wants to be will be vaccinated by September".

That's not good enough.  How many will die in between?  

My Dad's had to rebook surgery several times and just did again...pushed from March to May in hope that he'll be vaccinated before he goes in.  If not, he's cancelling again but his mobility is deteriorating and he spends most of his time in bed.  Use it or you'll lose it stuff....and he's losing it.  JT HAS to be held accountable for this delay because it's not ok.  I know the circumstances are somewhat beyond his control....but are they?  

People over 80 are at great risk and need a sense of urgency here.

Did you miss the news where at least two firms announced delays?  Shortly after other nations have suddenly have been given a priority. (Cough..cough US).

Once again this is why we need our own industry in various forms. I'm not saying be completely self sufficient. But the less we have to rely on others nations for supplies and products, the more secure Canada is. 

• Thanks 3

16 hours ago, Silent Man said:

Not that I'm any fan of the Libs, but how did they fail, exactly?  Seems like it's out of their control

• Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, stawns said:

Not that I'm any fan of the Libs, but how did they fail, exactly?  Seems like it's out of their control

its a failure of our federal governments going back to Mulroney. We've let them crap the bed on our health system for decades now, under the illusion that we're somehow the best in the world. In terms of the service we get from doctors and nurses, yes, but in terms of supply we are utterly dependent on the US and other countries for basic supplies and vaccines. Hopefully we smarten up and learn our lesson this time. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its a failure of our federal governments going back to Mulroney. We've let them crap the bed on our health system for decades now, under the illusion that we're somehow the best in the world. In terms of the service we get from doctors and nurses, yes, but in terms of supply we are utterly dependent on the US and other countries for basic supplies and vaccines. Hopefully we smarten up and learn our lesson this time. 

I don't disagree, but that's some big picture stuff.  In the context of this pandemic, it's hard to argue that the Libs have any control over when we get vaccine or how much of it.  In fact, we were told, in November, that we weren't top of the priority list and that other countries would be well ahead of us for vaccinations.

• Cheers 1

For those complaining about our vaccine roll-out in Canada.  The EU has been hit by shortages, and they have vaccine production.  Also, we could be Japan, who just started giving shots to healthcare workers TODAY, even though Pfizer shots have been used in many countries since December.

Also, weather plays a factor.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pfizer-delays-winter-weather-1.5915661

Canada's Pfizer vaccine shipment delayed by winter weather in the U.S.

Shipping giant UPS has temporarily shuttered its cargo terminal in Louisville, Kentucky

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-eu-pfizer-exclusiv/exclusive-pfizers-covid-19-vaccine-supply-to-the-eu-30-below-plans-sources-say-idUSKBN2AH1E3?utm_source=reddit.com

Exclusive: Pfizer's COVID-19 vaccine supply to the EU 30% below plans, sources say

https://apnews.com/article/tokyo-health-coronavirus-pandemic-2020-tokyo-olympics-japan-6c83da891fadb85b5b777a557d171127

Japan begins COVID-19 vaccination drive amid supply worry

Edited by thedestroyerofworlds
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3