The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We’ve had recorded cases of people who have both Covid and Influenza from the beginning in 2020.  It’s not new and it’s not a variant.  

the media isn't helping with stupid terms like this.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JM_ said:

yup the anger should be directed at the few that are ruining it for the majority of gym goers, not Henry. Like our friend who was all rant but no Torts. 

Speaking about anger:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/trudeau-says-canadians-are-angry-and-frustrated-with-the-unvaccinated/ar-AASt1iq?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

With the Omicron-driven pandemic wave sweeping the country, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canadians are growing more angry and frustrated with people who still refuse to get vaccinated.

Trudeau said that while most Canadians have stepped up to get their shots — putting Canada near the top of the list of countries with the highest vaccination rates — the unvaccinated remain a problem. 

"It's not just about governments and health workers frustrated that there are Canadians who still continue to choose to not get vaccinated. It's fellow Canadians as well," he said.

"When people are seeing cancer treatments and elective surgeries put off because beds are filled with people who chose not to get vaccinated, they're frustrated.

"When people see that we are in lockdowns or serious public health restrictions right now because of the risk posed to all of us by unvaccinated people, people get angry."

According to CBC's vaccine tracker, almost 87 per cent of Canadians aged 5 and older have had at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, while 80.6 per cent are fully vaccinated against the virus.

While those rates are high, Trudeau said the record case numbers being driven by the Omicron variant are leading to more and more hospitalizations and forcing cancellations of elective surgeries, putting Canadians' health at risk.

"That front line health worker who's giving you your first dose of the vaccine, even now in January 2022, will be immensely pleased to be able to give you that first dose of vaccine, even today," Trudeau said. "Because they'd much rather be giving you an injection of vaccine than intubating you in an ICU."

Trudeau made his comments after French President Emmanuel Macron said that his own frustration with vaccine holdouts has led to legislation designed to "piss off" the unvaccinated.

Facing an election in April, Macron unveiled a draft bill that would make it mandatory for people to show proof of vaccination to enter a restaurant or cinema or to take the train.

Macron also said the unvaccinated are "irresponsible" and that he plans to make their lives so complicated that they'll feel compelled to get the shot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, rotiman187 said:

Never did I attack anyone, I don't know where you are getting that from. Im talking about the decisions made without any backing. Btw why would I have to provide data? I don't have the power to decide what's open or not. All I know is omicron is probably going to spread everywhere no matter what. I know you won't listen to me, so here you can here it from Bonnie herself:

Well @rotinman, dr. Bonnie already said everyone will be exposed to Omicron a week ago.  That’s why she implemented new health orders.  It’s to slow the spread, so there’s more time to get more of the unvaccinated, vaccinated.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

2 minutes ago, gurn said:

Speaking about anger:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/trudeau-says-canadians-are-angry-and-frustrated-with-the-unvaccinated/ar-AASt1iq?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531

With the Omicron-driven pandemic wave sweeping the country, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says Canadians are growing more angry and frustrated with people who still refuse to get vaccinated.

Trudeau said that while most Canadians have stepped up to get their shots — putting Canada near the top of the list of countries with the highest vaccination rates — the unvaccinated remain a problem. 

"It's not just about governments and health workers frustrated that there are Canadians who still continue to choose to not get vaccinated. It's fellow Canadians as well," he said.

"When people are seeing cancer treatments and elective surgeries put off because beds are filled with people who chose not to get vaccinated, they're frustrated.

"When people see that we are in lockdowns or serious public health restrictions right now because of the risk posed to all of us by unvaccinated people, people get angry."

According to CBC's vaccine tracker, almost 87 per cent of Canadians aged 5 and older have had at least one dose of a COVID-19 vaccine, while 80.6 per cent are fully vaccinated against the virus.

While those rates are high, Trudeau said the record case numbers being driven by the Omicron variant are leading to more and more hospitalizations and forcing cancellations of elective surgeries, putting Canadians' health at risk.

"That front line health worker who's giving you your first dose of the vaccine, even now in January 2022, will be immensely pleased to be able to give you that first dose of vaccine, even today," Trudeau said. "Because they'd much rather be giving you an injection of vaccine than intubating you in an ICU."

Trudeau made his comments after French President Emmanuel Macron said that his own frustration with vaccine holdouts has led to legislation designed to "piss off" the unvaccinated.

Facing an election in April, Macron unveiled a draft bill that would make it mandatory for people to show proof of vaccination to enter a restaurant or cinema or to take the train.

Macron also said the unvaccinated are "irresponsible" and that he plans to make their lives so complicated that they'll feel compelled to get the shot.

bang on. Its funny that the anti-vaxxers are claiming freedom as their excuse. They don't want freedom at all. Freedom means independence. They want us to save them from covid at the expense of other peoples surgeries. Thats not freedom, thats being an entitled pig. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 2

18 minutes ago, rotiman187 said:

Never did I attack anyone, I don't know where you are getting that from. Im talking about the decisions made without any backing. Btw why would I have to provide data? I don't have the power to decide what's open or not. All I know is omicron is probably going to spread everywhere no matter what. I know you won't listen to me, so here you can here it from Bonnie herself:

Sorry about the attacking part, I mistakenly included your post with Gizmo's and he's been attacking Dr. Bonnie for weeks now. I'm not sure you're interpreting this video correctly though. Dr. Bonnie is asked where the current cases are coming from, get togethers, work places, or gyms. She actually laughs at the gym notion .. because they're currently closed they can't be responsible for the cases. Other than that she says they're coming from everywhere else.

I can understand you questioning the logic I just don't agree with the condemnation before understanding all the parameters that went into the decision. On top of that they could close any business they want in my eyes and I'll live with it if it gets us through this. Even if it turns out it was unnecessary. Omicron probably spreading everywhere as you say (so who cares) isn't really a solid plan in my view.

Either way I'm not sure nitpicking at what is closed or not accomplishes anything unless your goal is just to condemn her. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, JM_ said:

bang on. Its funny that the anti-vaxxers are claiming freedom as their excuse. They don't want freedom at all. Freedom means independence. They want us to save them from covid at the expense of other peoples surgeries. Thats not freedom, thats being an entitled pig. 

In a way, they see what is happening, but don't understand an important thing;

It is about freedom. the majority of people want their freedom back, so do the right thing as much as they can.

Others just want to sit an moan about  their loss, and hope some one else fixes their problem for them.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, gurn said:

It is about freedom. the majority of people want their freedom back, so do the right thing as much as they can.

Others just want to sit an moan about  their loss, and hope some one else fixes their problem for them.

Easy fix. All adults Must show proof of vaccination to get medical care for Covid.  Antivaxxers need to nut up and stand behind their decision.  If they don’t want the vaccine they should stay away from our hospitals.  

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

thats certainly a frustrating part of some folks. Deciding to wait for a technology they prefer is just such and entitled pov. Its also ironic as they probably don't understand how treatments work either. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

12 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Easy fix. All adults Must show proof of vaccination to get medical care for Covid.  Antivaxxers need to nut up and stand behind their decision.  If they don’t want the vaccine they should stay away from our hospitals.  

As long as the very, very few in our country, that are actually medically exempt from the vaccine are looked after; I'm coming around to the  'screw' the unvaxxed way of looking at things.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

15 minutes ago, gurn said:

As long as the very, very few in our country, that are actually medically exempt from the vaccine are looked after; I'm coming around to the  'screw' the unvaxxed way of looking at things.

welcome. its a big tent. 

• Upvote 2

Universal health care is universal.

So much is determined at birth. SES and place of birth has become an even greater health determinant during COVID.

If you are born to parents who love Tucker and Sean and watch Fox news as if it is a news channel, you are living in a world where COVID is just a little flu that is being over-exaggerated and the real problem is the fascist Fauci and his mind control vaccine.  

I think it is more the social benefits that should be vaccine dependent.  Some of them are but they can't ask for proof so they go out to whoever wants them.

Health care can't be declined just because someone does something stupid, if that was the case my foot would still be pointing 90 degrees to the right after a stupid MTB accident.

• Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

Keith Baldry was just on CKNW.  He said 85% of the ICU Covid patients in our BC hospitals right now are unvaccinated.  So 10% of the adults are taking up 85% of those Covid beds.  We would have very few, if any, restrictions if not for the antivaxxers.  They are driving the serious illness.  

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

56 minutes ago, rotiman187 said:

The problem with your position on Dr. Bonnie is you expect everything she says to always be correct at all times and no information to ever change in a pandemic as we learn more about the virus. That level of expectation for any medical person on any subject will never be reached. Especially so fighting against a new always mutating highly infectious deadly disease.

It’s fairly simple to explain why her position has changed: because the data told her. Maybe she was irresponsible in stating that gyms were safe in the first place, I can buy that, but blaming her for correcting that mistake because you think she doesn’t know what she’s doing is exactly the opposite of what it shows. If she really didn’t know or was incompetent she wouldn’t correct anything she’s ever said nor would she update policies to reflect what is happening now instead of in the past. She would still be saying gyms are safe if your opinion was true.

She, like all health and political leaders have made mistakes, no question there, but it’s impossible not to in a complex ever changing war against an invisible enemy. Try to remember she’s responsible for the health and safety of 5 million people. Short of a complete lockdown of everything she’s not going to succeed in slowing the spread with every initiative. She’s not going to have every word or policy she implements be 100% the same from when we started to where we are now.

If you feel like she’s not doing her job the best she possibly can then I think that’s on you for having unrealistic impossible to meet expectations.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

Universal health care is universal.

So much is determined at birth. SES and place of birth has become an even greater health determinant during COVID.

If you are born to parents who love Tucker and Sean and watch Fox news as if it is a news channel, you are living in a world where COVID is just a little flu that is being over-exaggerated and the real problem is the fascist Fauci and his mind control vaccine.  

I think it is more the social benefits that should be vaccine dependent.  Some of them are but they can't ask for proof so they go out to whoever wants them.

Health care can't be declined just because someone does something stupid, if that was the case my foot would still be pointing 90 degrees to the right after a stupid MTB accident.

the issue for me is their behaviour is leading to people waiting for surgeries. Sure someone could argue a hip isn't critical but some people really suffer and its also delaying their rehab. Its a long painful road for many people and its not necessary if the anti-vaxxers just got their shots. Someone getting a cancer surgery delayed is inexcusable to me. 

To me they are making their version of an informed choice, which should include putting their care behind people that are experiencing surgical delays. If their choice is to wait for alternative treatments then let them wait. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

58 minutes ago, gurn said:

Should be able to build that into the system easily enough.

• Vintage 1