The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

22 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

How high would it have to be for you to give the slightest f@#$ about it? 5%? 10? How many people have to die for you to care? 

Ahhh yes. The ol whataboutism. It's not 5 or 10 percent though. It is 1.1%. While i don't have the numbers, I'd hazard to bet about 90-95 percent of those deaths were over the age of 70. Sucks that people are dying but this cant go on forever

11 minutes ago, AfterMath35 said:

Ahhh yes. The ol whataboutism. It's not 5 or 10 percent though. It is 1.1%. While i don't have the numbers, I'd hazard to bet about 90-95 percent of those deaths were over the age of 70. Sucks that people are dying but this cant go on forever

And the reason it is so low is because of the restrictions that were put in place.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

And the reason it is so low is because of the restrictions that were put in place.

You could argue deaths are low due to restrictions yes. The mortality rate is different though. People still catch covid. And of those people only 1.1% mortality. Look at the US. I'd imagine most people here would agree they had much looser restrictions then we do and their mortality rate is only 1.2%. That's also with waaaay more Americans catching covid than here in Canada. So that argument doesn't hold much weight with me

Edited by AfterMath35

3 minutes ago, JoeyJoeJoeJr. Shabadoo said:

Just now, AfterMath35 said:

You could argue deaths are low due to restrictions yes. The mortality rate is different though. People still catch covid. And of those people only 1.1% mortality. Look at the US. I'd imagine most people here would agree they uad much looser restrictions then we do and their mortality rate is only 1.2%. That's also with waaaay more Americans catching covid than here in Canada. So that argument doesn't hold much weight with me

97% more likely to die?

I am willing to risk it for them.  Open er up and let them do what nature dictates.  Just don't do it in a hospital bed.  You've lost that right.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

20 minutes ago, AfterMath35 said:

That's not what whataboutism is....

It's a simple question: At what percentage do the number of deaths justify restrictions?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Warhippy said:

97% more likely to die?

I am willing to risk it for them.  Open er up and let them do what nature dictates.  Just don't do it in a hospital bed.  You've lost that right.

I don't care about unvaccinated. They made their choice. They will have to live with it. We need to improve our healthcare (not just cause of this pandemic either) and move on with life 

34 minutes ago, AfterMath35 said:

It aint whataboutism bud, im just asking where you would draw the line.

• Cheers 1

One of the issues facing us in getting the developing world vaccinated is a lack of infrastructure.  This may help with that.  They also say that these units can also be used to manufacture other mRNA vaccines for other diseases in the future.  

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/biontech-ship-mrna-vaccine-factory-kits-africa-2022-02-16/?utm_source=reddit.com

BioNTech to ship mRNA vaccine factory kits to Africa

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

13 minutes ago, Hamhuis Hip Check said:

And at this point the numbers support a slow wind down of restrictions. Not an immediate dropping of any and all safety measures we have. Rushing it will make the situation so much worse

I didn't say they all need to be dropped cold turkey. There needs to be a clear and concise plan layed out so peoples minds can be put to ease and this endless bickering can stop. There is no reason that by summer we can be past all restrictions including vax passport

Edited by AfterMath35
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, AfterMath35 said:

I didn't say they all need to be dropped cold turkey. There needs to be a clear and concise plan layed out so peoples minds can be put to ease and this endless bickering can stop. There is no reason that by summer we can be past all restrictions including vax passport

There is no reason to get rid of the vax passport. 

2 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

There is no reason to get rid of the vax passport. 

I mean you are certainly entitled to your opinion, i can't take that away from you. But as other provinces and countries move away from the vax passports, which is starting to happen in many places already, the pressure to do the same will mount up here. Of course you will always be free to not partake but i think most people will be happy