The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

6 minutes ago, samurai said:

Sorry did the gov't tell people going out to wear gloves?  I know they did for people in healthcare settings.  I am asking a legit question.  Can you provide the source as well?    

Nope they didn’t, but they also didn’t say it was extreme behaviour. You know what they did tell us though? To stay home as much as possible and to quarantine for 14 days if you’re coming into the country even if you have no symptoms. Which you told people on here “only if you’re symptomatic you need to stay home” and that we should be continuing to go about our daily lives because that’s what is happening in Japan. 

Edited by Petey40
  • Cheers 2

Just now, Petey40 said:

Nope they didn’t, but they also didn’t say it was extreme behaviour. You know what they did tell us though? To stay home as much as possible. Which you told people on here “only if you’re symptomatic you need to stay home” and that we should be continuing to go about our daily lives because that’s what is happening in Japan. 

I just found the gov't site again.  and there is nothing from the gov't about needing to wear gloves outside of healthcare situations.  they also advise not to wear masks unless . .   .     We discussed the symptomatic issue already. 

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, samurai said:

I think being polite about it is fine and I would probably do the same thing - I haven't had to here yet.  From experience people don't deliberately try to do it, but it does take time to learn new behaviors.  I a week or so people will be a lot better at this.

When it’s a guy’s wife and (or) kids who are involved, I can understand a response that isn’t polite.  I know the kids appear to be only carriers of this virus.  But kids do have grandparents and such, who could be at risk because others aren’t following the recommendations.  

Just now, samurai said:

I just found the gov't site again.  and there is nothing from the gov't about needing to wear gloves outside of healthcare situations.  they also advise not to wear masks unless . .   .     We discussed the symptomatic issue already. 

Lol yeah no kidding, I just said they never said to wear gloves :picard:

You're exhausting. And some of your comments are dangerous and false information that goes directly against what we’re being told by the government. That’s why a good chunk of people aren’t happy with you on here.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, samurai said:

Sorry did the gov't tell people going out to wear gloves?  I know they did for people in healthcare settings.  I am asking a legit question.  Can you provide the source as well?    

No, but @King Heffy also stated that the older couple was standing uncomfortably close to the kids.

You find it rude how he responded to the couple, I find it rude that the couple saw this family wearing gloves and still had no regard for their personal space.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

You're exhausting. And some of your comments are dangerous and false information that goes directly against what we’re being told by the government. That’s why a good chunk of people aren’t happy with you on here.

Concern trolling. Everyone should just block this clown.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Some company is going to make hundreds of billions of dollars....

It is a race to get the first drug treatment to market......and a vaccine if that is even possible.

vaccine should be more than possible, it just takes 18 months to test it properly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

No, but @King Heffy also stated that the older couple was standing uncomfortably close to the kids.

You find it rude how he responded to the couple, I find it rude that the couple saw this family wearing gloves and still had no regard for their personal space.

I was riding my scooter down the sidewalk today, and some idiot spat a big goober right on the sidewalk.  It’s not about the age of the idiot (children don’t count here) it’s just they are not being respectful of others during a time when we are really responsible for each other’s safety.  Just follow the damned rules, especially now.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, samurai said:

we had a horrible neighbour, just a total pig. On the other side of him was a lovely Japanese family. When I went to speak to them about doing something together about this total jerk, she politely said no, she would simply find a way to live with it and didn't want the confrontation. Me? I wanted to punch him in the head. Nether of us were wrong. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Okay here are the guidelines from the Canadian Gov't.   I am assuming these are up to date and official.  Now tell me where anything I said is inconsistent with what the Gov't has said here - be specific.  Everyone should read it and follow it!   I have been and talking to my elderly parents about it numerous times.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks.html

2 minutes ago, Violator said:

How is italy getting hit so hard

I don’t get this either.  A poster earlier suggested a lot of the Italian people in the region hit so badly are over 60, and have preexisting medical issues, and are smokers (or were smokers).  I wonder if there is any data coming out yet how this virus affects smokers different from non smokers?  What about city folk, who lived for their whole lives in bad air compared to country folk who have always had clean air?  Or is the strain of the virus different in Italy and really worse or something?  

5 minutes ago, Violator said:

How is italy getting hit so hard

Combination of many factors. Large elderly population. Very social/communal society. Too slow to lockdown (not blaming them, but even one or two days late and you're already past the point of no return). Once you hit a certain point, care/beds just can't keep up anymore and the problem is out of their control.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

we had a horrible neighbour, just a total pig. On the other side of him was a lovely Japanese family. When I went to speak to them about doing something together about this total jerk, she politely said no, she would simply find a way to live with it and didn't want the confrontation. Me? I wanted to punch him in the head. Nether of us were wrong. 

That is Japanese culture in a nutshell  My urges would be like you but I have been here a long time and any aggression doesn't go over very well. I had a friend come over and get into an innocent bar fight Canada style.  He threw the first punch and spent a month in jail.  Was a bit of a culture shock for him.

• Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

Okay here are the guidelines from the Canadian Gov't.   I am assuming these are up to date and official.  Now tell me where anything I said is inconsistent with what the Gov't has said here - be specific.  Everyone should read it and follow it!   I have been and talking to my elderly parents about it numerous times.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/prevention-risks.html

I already called you out yesterday about what you said that went against the Canadian government. Do I honestly need to do it again? 

The big one is we were told directly by Trudeau and our medical officials to stay home as much as possible. And all people coming into the country to quarantine for 14 days whether you have symptoms or not. 

You told people they should be going out and going about their daily lives and that they only need to stay home and isolate if they’re symptomatic. But if they have no symptoms they have nothing to worry about and should just continue to go out and enjoy themselves. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, EmilyM said:

Combination of many factors. Large elderly population. Very social/communal society. Too slow to lockdown (not blaming them, but even one or two days late and you're already past the point of no return). Once you hit a certain point, care/beds just can't keep up anymore and the problem is out of their control.

Did the virus get spread into the elderly community before safety measure got in to place?  It’s kind of like what happened in those care homes in North Van, but on a way larger scale. 

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Did the virus get spread into the elderly community before safety measure got in to place?  It’s kind of like what happened in those care homes in North Van, but on a way larger scale. 

I can't recall the details of the Northern Italy lockdowns, but they didn't go national lockdown until they were 9000+ cases, 400+ deaths 

• Thanks 1

Just now, EmilyM said:

I can't recall the details of the Northern Italy lockdowns, but they didn't go national lockdown until they were 9000+ cases, 400+ deaths 

That’s awful.  Sounds like the virus got into the elderly (at risk) community, and once there it couldn’t be stopped.  Seems like we’re doing a good job now of keeping the virus out of care homes and hospitals.  Hard to apply any blame when young people can carry the virus and have no symptoms.  Children visiting their grand parents, or young staff caring for the elderly could easily infect an entire care home.  Now we know about many carrying the virus without showing symptoms.  In Italy (sadly) it sounds like that wasn’t known yet.