The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, samurai said:

What you are talking about is violence or aggression as a legitimate form of self-defense.   Perhaps their disregard stems from a misunderstanding or not knowing.  I doubt they are doing it deliberately.  That is just demonizing people.  But according to you because they don't know then it is okay for you to be rude to them.  By the way you do not have to wear gloves to be safe - that is just extreme behavior.  

Ya right wearing gloves is an extreme behaviour. Wearing gloves is by far the best and easiest way to protect yourself from getting this virus. I wore mine today when my wife insisted we go grocery shopping. My wife laughed at me. 
We went to no frills and none of the employees were wearing gloves. Scary. 
Later went to Sobey’s and all of their employees were wearing gloves as well as some of the shoppers.  I had a hard time understanding why no frills employees were not wearing gloves when next to health care workers they are in the most danger. 
While in no frills I got a prime example of just how much danger. An ex-coworker came up to talk..so close I stepped back and raised my gloved hand. Then he caught on. When chatting he told me He and his wife had just got back from the US. So much for 14 days self quarantine. 
I am kind of kicking myself for not giving him piece of my mind. Knowing him I would probably be wasting my breath. 

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Ya right wearing gloves is an extreme behaviour. Wearing gloves is by far the best and easiest way to protect yourself from getting this virus. I wore mine today when my wife insisted we go grocery shopping. My wife laughed at me. 
We went to no frills and none of the employees were wearing gloves. Scary. 
Later went to Sobey’s and all of their employees were wearing gloves as well as some of the shoppers.  I had a hard time understanding why no frills employees were not wearing gloves when next to health care workers they are in the most danger. 
While in no frills I got a prime example of just how much danger. An ex-coworker came up to talk..so close I stepped back and raised my gloved hand. Then he caught on. When chatting he told me He and his wife had just got back from the US. So much for 14 days self quarantine. 
I am kind of kicking myself for not giving him piece of my mind. Knowing him I would probably be wasting my breath. 

I have no issues with people wearing gloves - all the power to you.  But you saw the video I sent you and understand what the expert said.  I am here in Japan and live in area with 40 million people - it is packed tight.  At the moment things are very stable here and the gov't has allowed schools to open again.  People have not been wearing gloves.  I wear regular gloves cause it is cold outside.   I think the main thing is to keep clean which can be done without gloves and do all the other important stuff.   I don't think it is good to yell at people, being direct and polite is the way to go.  We don't want to demonize people.  

1 hour ago, samurai said:

That is call-out culture or shaming.  

I'd like you to scroll back a few pages where you've done pretty much the same in relation to North America, Vancouver, etc. 

Also..you don't need to respond to every comment.  Please/thanks.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

What you are talking about is violence or aggression as a legitimate form of self-defense.   Perhaps their disregard stems from a misunderstanding or not knowing.  I doubt they are doing it deliberately.  That is just demonizing people.  But according to you because they don't know then it is okay for you to be rude to them.  By the way you do not have to wear gloves to be safe - that is just extreme behavior.  

I am making sure to give every human being, man, woman and child a wide berth. I went to the grocery store today and I only went to a rack once someone was done with it and had left. Common courtesy dictates that you give people their space. In COVID19 times, when people are nervous, I don't understand how someone isn't extra conscious about who is around them. Politeness really goes out of the window with me when someone doesn't respect my space. Its just negligent and ignorance is not an acceptable excuse.

• Like 3

Does it bother you what people are or aren’t doing here in Canada or something? Why does it matter to you if people wear gloves or want to just stay home? I don’t understand why you’re telling people what they do or don’t need to do to keep safe :huh:

It’s so confusing.

• Thanks 2

explain dude.

The question is pretty self-explanatory from the perspective of 1 who has read your posts over the last few whiles.   

This virus is spreading like wildfire in some places, yet your position here that "it's little to no problem in Tokyo, so should it be such a problem in Canada" is total BS.  

@Warhippy, just like the rest of us, has a need to grab items from a store, yet your suggestion to his reaction to western world idiots to "stay home" solves nothing. What works in Tokyo does not work in Vancouver. I've seen the $&!# people continue to do 1st hand hear. Just this morning 1 of my [now online] classmates said that he and his buds have an international pickup game of b-ball scheduled for the afternoon. That's MY anecdote for you. Of course I called him out on it, and of course they'll play on as though it didn't happen.   

I could go on, and on, and on, about the things I've seen locally that fly in the face of defiance regarding minimizing the spread of this virus, but you know exactly what I mean already, and since you're so well written, you know exactly what I mean when I call you a Covid apologist.  

I've been to Japan, and I loved it there, but to assume our 2 countries would/should/will react to this outbreak in similar ways makes us both idiots. I don't assume it. If you assume we can, newsflash. If you wish we would. cheers, but I don't currently see that happening. 

Want to chalk my labeling you as an apologist up to the collective and cultural behavioral differences between the 2 nations we reside in? Fine, allow me to hereby offer my honest and sincere apology issued in full. Something tells me that there's more to your story though, I just don't know what your angle is.  

That's why I posted what I did.

• Thanks 3

41 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I'd like you to scroll back a few pages where you've done pretty much the same in relation to North America, Vancouver, etc. 

Sure Deb whatever you say.  Also sorry for responding to this. 

Edited by samurai

27 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Easy there, everyone has a right to respond to whatever they want so long as they don't break the rules.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, Toews said:

I am making sure to give every human being, man, woman and child a wide berth. I went to the grocery store today and I only went to a rack once someone was done with it and had left. Common courtesy dictates that you give people their space. In COVID19 times, when people are nervous, I don't understand how someone isn't extra conscious about who is around them. Politeness really goes out of the window with me when someone doesn't respect my space. Its just negligent and ignorance is not an acceptable excuse.

I understand perfectly well why, and we've all been seeing it for years but now it's more important than ever: dip$&!#s gonna dip$&!#

18 minutes ago, Petey40 said:

Does it bother you what people are or aren’t doing here in Canada or something? Why does it matter to you if people wear gloves or want to just stay home? I don’t understand why you’re telling people what they do or don’t need to do to keep safe :huh:

It’s so confusing.

All of my family lives in Canada, including elderly parents - I am there 4 months of the year.  Never said don't wear gloves at all, see posts.  And staying home, limiting outings and social distancing are all things I completely support and do - again see posts.  Please show me.  

This is a new situation for people, is it not? And I can understand why in the early stages of it people don't quite do it well.  That doesn't mean you demonize them and go after them.   Am I wrong?   I believe based on my experiences that people will be pros at this in a short while like they are here. 

I was in a confined space with a very large amount of elderly people (perhaps 10% over 85).  They didn't need to be there, I did.  Nobody got in their faces.  My feeling is that they just don't quite understand what has been going on.  What would you do.  Walk around and start calling them out?  Over 200 and probably 50% were elderly.  I didn't quite believe what I was seeing.

Edited by samurai

3 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

Not public news. 

I did hear this from a very reliable source who is working the front lines. 

However, I do disclaim again that this is not public news so believe it or not.

There's a fairly large community outbreak in North Van among the Iranian population. Lions Gate has set up a satellite site strictly for this community and anyone that's been in contact with them. 

True or not (heard it from someone assigned to work at this site) it's great to hear some quick, proactive measures being taken. 

best not to traffic in rumors in times like these. Especially ones like these that can be downright dangerous.

Edited by butters
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, samurai said:

All of my family lives in Canada, including elderly parents - I am there 4 months of the year.  Never said don't wear gloves at all, see posts.  And staying home, limiting outings and social distancing are all things I completely support and do - again see posts.  Please show me.  

This is new situation for people, is it now? And I can understand why in the early stages of it people don't quite do it well.  That doesn't mean you demonize them and go after them.   Am I wrong?   I believe based on my experiences that people will be pros as this in a short while like they are here. 

I was in a confined space with a very large amount of elderly people (perhaps 10% over 85).  They didn't need to be there, I did.  Nobody got in their faces.  My feeling is that they just don't quite understand what has been going on.  What would you do.  Walk around and start calling them out?  Over 200 and probably 50% were elderly.  I didn't quite believe what I was seeing.

I wasn’t talking about any of that stuff, I was just talking about you constantly telling people what they need to or don’t need to do to feel safe or protected from this virus. 

I literally can only interpret “Also you do not need to wear gloves to be safe, that is extreme behaviour” in one way lol 

Just let people do what they want. If it makes them feel safer and more comfortable during this mess then let em do it. It’s all good. 

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

damn. Lets hope the news coming out that there's a good potential for existing drug treatments pans out. The French study is really exciting as the study participants had no sign of the virus after 5 days. It was a tiny study but still: https://techcrunch.com/2020/03/19/french-study-finds-anti-malarial-and-antibiotic-combo-could-reduce-covid-19-duration/

Some company is going to make hundreds of billions of dollars....

It is a race to get the first drug treatment to market......and a vaccine if that is even possible.