The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

12 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

I encountered a very ugly woman in the store this morning.....not observing any of the social distancing rules and clearly out to be confrontational.  Met your match, lady.  Except, as she stood there challenging me I didn't have any fight in me...it's not time to argue.  I simply asked her to just "be kind" .  As she berated me for not letting her reach over me to get bread (there were about a dozen loaves left...I was grabbing one for me and one for Dad)...that's what I said.  I can't even fathom arguing over bread as our world is in turmoil.  She continued to shout at me and, for the first time in my life, I didn't want to argue the point, even if right.  I just want everyone to get this...to be on the same page and work together.  I wanted her to understand that part...that "we're all in this together".  The woman from the store told her to calm down.  Be kind people.  We need to all do this together.

It's hitting me hard tonight. 

I can't go hug my kids...and we're all scared and living apart.

I can't take care of my Dad like I need to.

FFS, do the drill and let's get through this.  We can sacrifice a few things for awhile and show our strength and unity to do thing right.  But some refuse to just follow some basic guidelines and it's baffling to me. 

You are doing what you need to.

You will get through this....like most of us will!

We just need to stem the tide of fear mongering.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Nah just a sudden huge spike in cases of pneumonia totally unrelated to the virus.;)

Coronavirus is a distant second to the number one cause of death in Russia, and that is falling out of open windows from a great height.

• Upvote 1

How’s life in Vancouver?  Toronto’s in lock down mode!  My work closed for 1 month and gas is at an all time low at .69 cents at shell! Only prob is nowhere to go and I’ve been sitting on a full tank of gas for a week now:picard:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

I encountered a very ugly woman in the store this morning.....not observing any of the social distancing rules and clearly out to be confrontational.  Met your match, lady.  Except, as she stood there challenging me I didn't have any fight in me...it's not time to argue.  I simply asked her to just "be kind" .  As she berated me for not letting her reach over me to get bread (there were about a dozen loaves left...I was grabbing one for me and one for Dad)...that's what I said.  I can't even fathom arguing over bread as our world is in turmoil.  She continued to shout at me and, for the first time in my life, I didn't want to argue the point, even if right.  I just want everyone to get this...to be on the same page and work together.  I wanted her to understand that part...that "we're all in this together".  The woman from the store told her to calm down.  Be kind people.  We need to all do this together.

It's hitting me hard tonight. 

I can't go hug my kids...and we're all scared and living apart.

I can't take care of my Dad like I need to.

FFS, do the drill and let's get through this.  We can sacrifice a few things for awhile and show our strength and unity to do thing right.  But some refuse to just follow some basic guidelines and it's baffling to me. 

Hang in there Deb. This will all pass one day and the world might be a better place.

Next time bring your cow bell and give it a good shake when some goomba gets in your face.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Petey40 said:

Cool.. good job starbucks. Thank god we all won’t go hungry because of your essential bagels :picard:

42E63432-AE46-4E38-A237-E421811B76BC.jpeg

I’m just super excited that the super humans at Starbucks are there to serve up my triple espresso in the morning. I’m so sleep deprived that it’s crucial to my ability to function each day. :P

On 3/20/2020 at 4:07 PM, Petey40 said:

I got curious about Japan’s handling of this virus so I looked up some numbers and details.

https://japantoday.com/category/national/japan-testing-for-coronavirus-at-fraction-of-capacity

This article states Japan has the ability to test 8000 people per day yet has only been testing 1190 per day for a total of 32,125 . Compare that to South Korea testing 20,000 a day and 316,664 total tests.
 They have tested approximately 254 people per 1 million of their population. 
In comparison Canada has tested 50,000 and 1,351 per 1 million population and people have been adamant that Canada is under testing.

If we’re being critical about nations under testing I feel Japan could fall into that category.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-19/a-coronavirus-explosion-was-expected-in-japan-where-is-it

A chief health officer at WHO sees one of two possibilities happening in Japan.

Number 1 being that Japan has contained this.

Number 2 being that Japan is going to see a big explosion of cases because of unidentified clusters. He feels the second possibility to be more likely. 

They do have have a strong ability to contain this virus if they get an explosion though because they have 13 beds per 1,000 citizens which is good news. 

Japan will take a significant hit to it economy if the Olympics are cancelled so it begs the question as to whether they are under testing to avoid a drastic increase in cases and continue with the Olympics. They have stated multiple times that they do not want to cancel the Olympics and they must proceed. 

They will be reopening schools soon and resume life as normal, I hope they are right and not under testing for the sake the Olympics and their economy.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Coronavirus-Why-Japan-tested-so-few-people

53 minutes ago, Darkstar said:

I work in an "essential need" occupation, and I have to say that I'm shocked at some of the people who are coming out for "non-essential" reasons. You're not only putting us workers in danger, but you are also putting yourselves in danger too. This epidemic is clearing up the fact that there are a ton of people in our society that are  ignorant, insane, or both. They will unfortunately be the victims of this epidemic, but the problem is that they may take a lot of other people with them. 

I am in emergency services and self isolated last week due to a cough. Had to go out twice....once to get a prescription. Shocked how many sheeple are out doing regular tasks. Morons will spread it more.  Jeebus.....

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 3

Hearing second hand,  that as of Sunday everyone will be forced to stay inside. That date is not confirmed.  Any last minute necessities should be picked up tomorrow. Expect a potential 3- 4 month lockdown. People will still be permitted to get things of need like food and medication etc. 

Might be similar to Italy 

Edited by kenhodgejr

14 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Well here in southern Spain it's day 7  of the lock down. Our flight home March 27th is cancelled next available flight April 25! Took a week of trying to contact Westjet to get info! Days spent on hold, emails, Facebook..........

We are staying at a small farm isolated from people but must leave tomorrow.  All hotels ordered clossed.

We've rented an airbnb apartment for 2 weeks, looking for another to fill the gap.

Canadian consulate issued us a travel document to move location. They also recommended that airtransat has a flight leaving Sunday to Montreal, can't book online, probably full, but that we should go to the airport and see if there are any seats available? 

I'm questioning the recommendation to go to a crowded airport for hours, possibly get on crowded plane flying home from infection hot spot? 

We are going to hunker down over here and stay safe. Very unfortunate but it's the reality of the times we are living in.

Stay safe, stay isolated from people, be supportive of one another.

Gosh I sure miss hockey 

Sorry you are in that situation. I hope you get back to Canada safely!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kenhodgejr said:

Hearing second hand,  that as of Sunday everyone will be forced to stay inside. That date is not confirmed.  Any last minute necessities should be picked up tomorrow. Expect a potential 3- 4 month lockdown. People will still be permitted to get things of need like food and medication etc. 

Might be similar to Italy 

Source?

3 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Hearing second hand

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Source?

Good luck with that.

At this point anyone willing to mislead or spread rumours and lies should be banned into social media isolation.

Edited by Canorth
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Well here in southern Spain it's day 7  of the lock down. Our flight home March 27th is cancelled next available flight April 25! Took a week of trying to contact Westjet to get info! Days spent on hold, emails, Facebook..........

We are staying at a small farm isolated from people but must leave tomorrow.  All hotels ordered clossed.

We've rented an airbnb apartment for 2 weeks, looking for another to fill the gap.

Canadian consulate issued us a travel document to move location. They also recommended that airtransat has a flight leaving Sunday to Montreal, can't book online, probably full, but that we should go to the airport and see if there are any seats available? 

I'm questioning the recommendation to go to a crowded airport for hours, possibly get on crowded plane flying home from infection hot spot? 

We are going to hunker down over here and stay safe. Very unfortunate but it's the reality of the times we are living in.

Stay safe, stay isolated from people, be supportive of one another.

Gosh I sure miss hockey 

No flight has been identified as a cluster anywhere.  My wife works for the airlines - a big one.  No flight crew have contracted or gotten sick - 1000s of employees.  I ride the trains everyday where 10s of millions have to as well (Tokyo).  No train to date has been identified as a cluster.    The airports will be empty and the planes will have been thoroughly cleaned.  Spain is in rough shape so if you can get out you should.   Well at least I would.   I think the gov't recommends people to get back to Canada.

Edited by samurai

50 minutes ago, samurai said:

No flight has been identified as a cluster anywhere.  My wife works for the airlines - a big one.  No flight crew have contracted or gotten sick - 1000s of employees.  I ride the trains everyday where 10s of millions have to as well (Tokyo).  No train to date has been identified as a cluster.    The airports will be empty and the planes will have been thoroughly cleaned.  Spain is in rough shape so if you can get out you should.   Well at least I would.   I think the gov't recommends people to get back to Canada.

Thanks, some interesting points , appreciate your thoughts 

I think it's difficult for an airplane,  airport or train to be a cluster as people are on the move and not stationary for the incubation period 

2 passengers just off Westjet from Portugal tested positive 

Our flight home  March 27th was cancelled by Westjet,  next available flight April 25th 

Fyi, the airports here have been swamped with stranded holiday  passengers attempting to get home, many checked out of there vacation rentals and are now stuck at the airport as all hotels have been ordered closed.

Our plan now is to stay put for April and only come home if there is a government repatriation flight.

1 minute ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

Thanks, some interesting points , appreciate your thoughts 

I think it's difficult for an airplane,  airport or train to be a cluster as people are on the move and not stationary for the incubation period 

2 passengers just off Westjet from Portugal tested positive 

Our flight home  March 27th was cancelled by Westjet,  next available flight April 25th 

Fyi, the airports here have been swamped with stranded holiday  passengers attempting to get home, many checked out of there vacation rentals and are now stuck at the airport as all hotels have been ordered closed.

Our plan now is to stay put for April and only come home if there is a government repatriation flight.

Yes, sorry don't get me wrong.  What I mean is that planes have not been identified as cluster sites meaning that someone or a few people got on the plane and then infected everyone else.  But yes there are people getting on the planes carrying it.   2 months ago I assumed that I would catch it from the trains just because of the amount of people, but that hasn't happened here to anyone.   

Anyway best of luck.  Learn some local spanish cooking and study spanish are a few things that would come to my mind.  

43 minutes ago, samurai said:

Yes, sorry don't get me wrong.  What I mean is that planes have not been identified as cluster sites meaning that someone or a few people got on the plane and then infected everyone else.  But yes there are people getting on the planes carrying it.   2 months ago I assumed that I would catch it from the trains just because of the amount of people, but that hasn't happened here to anyone.   

Anyway best of luck.  Learn some local spanish cooking and study spanish are a few things that would come to my mind.  

Thanks 

Full fridge and some really good inexpensive wine makes life tolerable. I really feel for families loosing loved ones

• Cheers 1