The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

Wed 22 Jan 2020 02:08:30 GMT

China National Health Commission press briefing. From Li Bin, the vice director of National Health Commission:

•  there are 9 deaths from virus, all in Hubei
  •  are 440 cases of virus across 13 provinces, cities
  •  will have a daily report system across china on virus
  •  Wuhan city has banned live animal trade
  •  Wuhan city will establish daily communication system 
  • Encourage the people if Wuhan not gather in groups
  • Will adopt strict monitoring for those with fever 

Headlines via Bloomberg

Wed 22 Jan 2020 02:48:14 GMT

Global Times in China with this:

• Confirmed cases of infection among medical workers validate the people-to-people transmission nature of this virus: National Health Commission official
IF there is any sugar coating on with this news its not coming from the folks at the Global Times. 

And, this from People's Daily, also not pulling punches:
- 440 cases confirmed, 9 dead
- Human-to-human, patient-to-medical staff transmission confirmed
- Community transmission at a certain scale confirmed
- Source of infection unknown
- Virus mutation possible
- Further spread of virus likely

Wed 22 Jan 2020 03:06:16 GMT

Keeping updated on this press conference in China - 
China Disease Control Center head Gao
  • says new coronavirus adapting and mutating
  • new virus originated from a market with illegal wildlife transactions
  • changes in virus in line with human knowledge of the virus, but we need more information

China's national health commission official 

• says we are now at the most critical stage of prevention and control
NHC say the children are not as susceptible to this new coronavirus as they were with SARS. I guess if there is any encouraging news out of this presser that's it. 

Wed 22 Jan 2020 03:11:40 GMT

Macau is part of China 

more to come  

Also, Taiwan's President has banned tour groups from Wuhan 
  • & has called on mainland China to share info on the virus with Taiwan

Wed 22 Jan 2020 03:18:34 GMT

It was only yesterday (or the day before?) there was only one in Thailand

4 now confirmed 
  • 3 are Chinese, 1 is Thai
  • all 4 travelled from Wuhan
Edited by nuckin_futz

4 hours ago, Warhippy said:

I used to love watching that show, some of those peppers had some amazing ideas

Yeah, I remember the first time seeing someone building a home/fort with those shipping containers way back when.... made perfect sense.  Stainless steel, can withstand heavy stress/weight, very modular, can stop small arms, relatively inexpensive, etc.  I'm surprised it's not more common as a building/housing material.  

Plus learning that you can storage eggs indefinitely buy dipping them in mineral oil.  

2 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Yeah, I remember the first time seeing someone building a home/fort with those shipping containers way back when.... made perfect sense.  Stainless steel, can withstand heavy stress/weight, very modular, can stop small arms, relatively inexpensive, etc.  I'm surprised it's not more common as a building/housing material.  

Plus learning that you can storage eggs indefinitely buy dipping them in mineral oil.  

Spent some time in New Zealand around 2007 and I worked at a winery on a project “renovating” a shipping container to serve as a temporary wine tasting area.

flat roof application

installed bi-folding glass doors 

furred our interior walls and installed corrugated metal and wood paneling

sound system

custom glass table (purchased)

it was fun for sure.

Since that time I have on and off kept tabs on real estate there and I have noticed a few shipping container homes on mostly rural coastal properties, well, that describes a lot of the country actually lol.

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

I think some resistance might come from getting an experienced contractor to make sure that codes are met, gas line, sewer line, city codes, blah blah blah. It may be a bit prohibitive for some buyers?

I think it's a great idea, & would love to see more of them. There are so many designs that could be done, I've already seen a view images of really unique builds with shipping containers & were just getting started

6 hours ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Looks like its evolved coughing, water 1, and cow transmission 1. 

Lets hope it doesnt evolve bio aerosol, extreme zoonosis and drug resistance 3. 

(I play too much plague inc when i should be working i think)

Cysts are a real issue for me, especially on the Brutal setting.

12 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:
Wed 22 Jan 2020 02:08:30 GMT

China National Health Commission press briefing. From Li Bin, the vice director of National Health Commission:

•  there are 9 deaths from virus, all in Hubei
  •  are 440 cases of virus across 13 provinces, cities
  •  will have a daily report system across china on virus
  •  Wuhan city has banned live animal trade
  •  Wuhan city will establish daily communication system 
  • Encourage the people if Wuhan not gather in groups
  • Will adopt strict monitoring for those with fever 

Headlines via Bloomberg

Wed 22 Jan 2020 02:48:14 GMT

Global Times in China with this:

• Confirmed cases of infection among medical workers validate the people-to-people transmission nature of this virus: National Health Commission official
IF there is any sugar coating on with this news its not coming from the folks at the Global Times. 

And, this from People's Daily, also not pulling punches:
- 440 cases confirmed, 9 dead
- Human-to-human, patient-to-medical staff transmission confirmed
- Community transmission at a certain scale confirmed
- Source of infection unknown
- Virus mutation possible
- Further spread of virus likely

Wed 22 Jan 2020 03:06:16 GMT

Keeping updated on this press conference in China - 
China Disease Control Center head Gao
  • says new coronavirus adapting and mutating
  • new virus originated from a market with illegal wildlife transactions
  • changes in virus in line with human knowledge of the virus, but we need more information

China's national health commission official 

• says we are now at the most critical stage of prevention and control
NHC say the children are not as susceptible to this new coronavirus as they were with SARS. I guess if there is any encouraging news out of this presser that's it. 

Wed 22 Jan 2020 03:11:40 GMT

Macau is part of China 

more to come  

Also, Taiwan's President has banned tour groups from Wuhan 
  • & has called on mainland China to share info on the virus with Taiwan

Wed 22 Jan 2020 03:18:34 GMT

It was only yesterday (or the day before?) there was only one in Thailand

4 now confirmed 
  • 3 are Chinese, 1 is Thai
  • all 4 travelled from Wuhan

The death toll is now at 17 people.

http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/state-tv-reports-death-toll-from-virus-outbreak-in-china-reaches-17/ar-BBZdEiM?ocid=ientp

5 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Oddly enough, i start most of my plagues in china. 

Perfect setting for a virus to start to annihilate the human race. 

That or India. Over a billion people in each country, with millions living in poverty. Yet India, in actual fact, rarely has any health pandemics.

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That or India. Over a billion people in each country, with millions living in poverty. Yet India, in actual fact, rarely has any health pandemics.

Was just telling my wife that believe it or not, its a good thing the virus is fatal, or people wouldnt have noticed until the population was infected. Quick mutation and boom, Rip. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, MystifyNCrucify said:

Was just telling my wife that believe it or not, its a good thing the virus is fatal, or people wouldnt have noticed until the population was infected. Quick mutation and boom, Rip. 

Well, yeah. If it incubates in the body and spreads without much symptoms at the onset, it would be far, far more serious of an epidemic. That being said, this is still early. I just hope the right steps are taken to prevent a serious outbreak.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7916613/Wuhan-government-orders-residents-wear-face-masks-public.html

Wuhan government orders ALL residents to wear face masks in public places amid outbreak of deadly coronavirus

• Everyone must wear masks while going out, the city's authority ordered today
  • The government also vowed to penalise stores if they hike the product's price
  • Travellers are being given extra health screening in transport hubs across China
  • Death toll has soared to 17 while over 520 have been sickened in the country
  • Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Taiwan and the United Stats have reported cases
  • Experts say there may already be a case because UK screening 'is not foolproof' 
Edited by DonLever

Regarding the shutting down of transport in and out of Wuhan.

From Hu Xijin from the Global Times:

Shutting down outbound transportation of a provincial capital city is unprecedented in China since 1949. Didn't do so even during SARS in 2003. This is a forced step since virus is expanding fiercely. It will greatly increase the chance of epidemic being contained.
  • Upvote 1