The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

9 minutes ago, smokes said:

Thanks man

It sounds like China is doing all it can to try to contain the issue, at a major travel time too. The scale of the problem is incredible, it would be like trying to quarantine Canada. 

Good luck to you. 

5 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

The Chinese are an amazingly resilient people. Hang in there Smokes. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It sounds like China is doing all it can to try to contain the issue, at a major travel time too. The scale of the problem is incredible, it would be like trying to quarantine Canada. 

Good luck to you. 

Thanks, I'll keep you all updated.:towel:

• Cheers 4

Yeah sure let’s wait a little longer...

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/events/1220416677990420485

'Too early' to declare coronavirus outbreak as global health emergency, says WHO
The World Health Organization declined for a second day to declare the pneumonia-like coronavirus a global health emergency. China confirmed that the death toll has reached 26 and that 800 people have been infected

France confirms first case of coronavirus, second case likely

Health minister declares that first case is confirmed First case in Bordeaux, second near Paris.

China now confirms 903 cases or Coronavirus with 26 deaths.

UK virus researchers estimate 250,000 people in Wuhan will have coronavirus in 13 days

Fri 24 Jan 2020 20:27:36 GMT

It will spread to nearby cities and countries next

It will spread to nearby cities and countries next

A UK expert on the transmission and evolutionary dynamics of infectious diseases has published a paper with four colleagues that estimates transmission parameters for the Wuhan coronavirus and it's terrifying.

Dr Jonathan Read estimates that only 5.1% of infections in Wuhan are identified and that an explosion in the number of cases is less than two weeks away.

By February 4, he writes that "our model predicts the number of infected people in Wuhan to be greater than 250,000 (prediction interval, 164,602 to 351,396)."

Based on travel patterns, his team predicts the cities with the largest outbreaks elsewhere in China to be Shanghai, Beijing, Guangzhou, Chongqing and Chengdu. The countries with the greatest risk of importing it are Thailand, Japan, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and South Korea.

2020-01-24_16-03-16.png
Perhaps most-frightening is the estimate that the the basic reproductive number of the infection -- which is the way of saying how many people will be infected by each person who has it -- is 3.6-4.0. That means unless 75% of the people who have it are treated and quarantined, it will continue to spread unabated. That compares to estimates of 1.1-4.2 for SARS.

There is an important caveat:

"Our findings are critically dependent on the assumptions underpinning our model, and the timing and reporting of confirmed cases, and there is considerable uncertainty associated with the outbreak at this early stage," the paper says. " We stress that these projections make strong assumptions: that no control interventions are instigated."
Critically, however, the model says that even if virtually all air traffic it cut off it would only delay the epidemic elsewhere. That means officials have waited too long to act decisively.

"We are still in the early days of this outbreak and there is much uncertainty in both the scale of the outbreak, as well as key epidemiological information regarding transmission. However, the rapidity of the growth of cases since the recognition of the outbreak is much greater than that observed in outbreaks of either SARS or MERS-CoV," the report says.

Let's hope those predictions are wrong.

4 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Theyre building a 1000 bed hospital to ne completed in 5 days.. wow. Only in china

Theyre doing a great job so far. But yhis isnt easy to control

Corontined 35 million people. Thats the population of Canada. Crazy

Youtube showed me that today, I was like "wtf how?"  

1 hour ago, EP Phone Home said:

Yeah sure let’s wait a little longer...

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/events/1220416677990420485

'Too early' to declare coronavirus outbreak as global health emergency, says WHO
The World Health Organization declined for a second day to declare the pneumonia-like coronavirus a global health emergency. China confirmed that the death toll has reached 26 and that 800 people have been infected

Well, if they fail to do what they need to, they should pay the ultimate price. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, if they fail to do what they need to, they should pay the ultimate price. 

Yep, if they put $$ ahead of public health, they sure should.  With New Year festivities underway, let's hope they're not foot dragging because they don't want to lose revenue/business!

I mean...how is it that China is in a state of lockdown and emergency but we're "meh, it's ok"??  A questionnaire and people are good to go...business as usual??

• Upvote 1

Confirmed death total now 41 in China (from 26 previously)

Fri 24 Jan 2020 22:21:15 GMT

A rise of 15 from the last official estimate.

CNBC is reporting that the  death toll from the coronavirus has been raised to 41 in China. That is up from 26 previously (a gain of 15). 

The number of new confirmed cases in the province also rose by 180, including 77 in Wuhan city.

Shut down borders, North Korea has done so because of the virus. Also everyone that’s been in that area the last 2-3 months should get checked out. Virus has been a thing since December.

Good chance the virus is already in Canada, we just don’t know it right now. 

59 minutes ago, J-23 said:

Shut down borders, North Korea has done so because of the virus. Also everyone that’s been in that area the last 2-3 months should get checked out. Virus has been a thing since December.

Good chance the virus is already in Canada, we just don’t know it right now. 

My buddy in vancouver said 6 ppl quarantined  in Richmond.. said  it was on local news.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Yep, if they put $$ ahead of public health, they sure should.  With New Year festivities underway, let's hope they're not foot dragging because they don't want to lose revenue/business!

I mean...how is it that China is in a state of lockdown and emergency but we're "meh, it's ok"??  A questionnaire and people are good to go...business as usual??

We won't take it serious until it's to late in Canada and the rest of the world. 

Found this today.  She's allegedly a nurse working on the frontline in Wuhan.  I hope this is a fake video.

Below is the rough translation.

Dear friends, elders, I am ○○ I ’m still in the epidemic area of Hankou, Wuhan, and I ’d like to report to you the current epidemic situation in Hubei and even the whole country. There are now more than 90,000 person-times (Note: Infected person-times?) What is the chance of this virus being transmitted? After a person is infected, if he is not effectively isolated, Or if effective treatment is performed, he will infect 14 people around him, so this level is very large. Now it ’s the time of the Chinese New Year family and friends, relatives, children, and children are all going to the house to reunite the family together for a reunion dinner The situation is special now. I hope you do n’t go out. Every year in the Spring Festival, as long as people are safe, everyone can be together anytime, anywhere Let me introduce you to the situation of medical supplies in Hubei Province At present, the entire medical system in Wuhan, which integrates the entire medical system in Hubei Province, has passed through our superiors. The health and health committee (Note: these three words are uncertain) And various administrative departments The municipal government and the provincial government are initiating donations to the society through major media. This material is medical material. For example, the goggles I wear Wear disposable masks, wear disposable gloves, wear this gown, or even isolation pants. This material is extremely accurate. Our current medical staff must come back to the front line when they come down from the clinic. I am now equivalent to recording this video with everyone on the FireWire, in order to make everyone accurate. I stress again that during the Spring Festival holiday, do n’t go out and stay in your own house, otherwise I ’m desperately ahead Not just to keep my dad, my loved ones, healthy I hope everyone can understand, I also know that some relatives are not in the group, please see the news of me, call each other and inform It must be done. I hope everyone can raise awareness. This is a political task. And I ’m reporting very bad news. This new type of coronavirus has undergone the second generation mutation In other words, in the first generation of mutation, we can treat it symptomatically. Then when the second-generation mutation occurs, this is terrible, and its chance of infection is not one person to one person, one person has the disease and infects 14 people around him. Then it is pour burst (note: these five characters are uncertain) I hope everyone remembers, do n’t go out, do n’t go out, do n’t meet, do n’t have dinner thank you all