The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

haha

The youth are slowly starting to realise that they can get covid in a serious way now

Who raised these stupid kids? hopefully the folks out there that are forced to be close to their teenagers now will use this time to correct their lousy parenting. 

Parenting is really hard.  Sometimes kids/people need to learn the hard way.

speaking from experience in both.

1 minute ago, riffraff said:

Parenting is really hard.  Sometimes kids/people need to learn the hard way.

speaking from experience in both.

particularly if someones kid is an idiot. I mean, statistically it has to happen. 

But these people were university age folks. They just didn't give a $&!# that they were taking risks that will hurt others. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think this is where the politics will be played a few months from now. It'l be the "why didn't you close the border" camp vs. the public health camp. 

I get the general concept of closing a border, but I haven't actually heard a viable alternative, or believe that a Canadian politician of any stripe would have actually stranded 1 million Canadians citizens outside of Canada during this crisis. 

The two main questions imo to ask is how many of those stranded/returning passengers actually self isolated once they returned. And what kind of screening measures  or directions were in place in airports, YVR for example. 

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I admit, raising a kid in today's world must be really hard.

Raising kids has always been and will always be, hard.

It's a shame more people don't realize just how big of a commitment it is before popping them out without thinking of the CONSTANT, exhausting work, responsibility and love (in the face of constant push back both from the outside world and the kids) required to raise even moderately intelligent, self reliant, socially responsible, well adjusted, eventual adults.

I don't blame the kids at all. They're the obvious and unfortunate result of poor parenting.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Raising kids has always been and will always be, hard.

It's a shame more people don't realize just how big of a commitment it is before popping them out without thinking of the CONSTANT, exhausting work, responsibility and love (in the face of constant push back both from the outside world and the kids) required to raise even moderately intelligent, self reliant, socially responsible, well adjusted, eventual adults.

I don't blame the kids at all. They're the obvious and unfortunate result of poor parenting.

License having children.

You should have to apply to be allowed to breed. Pass a simple test and you can proceed.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, CBH1926 said:

De Santis is learning the true price of blind loyalty.

Trump urges Florida governor to allow coronavirus-stricken ship to dock

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-urges-florida-governor-to-allow-coronavirus-stricken-ship-to-dock/ar-BB120qTS?li=BBnb7Kz

If I'm De Santis I agree to let the ship dock- right after Drumpf admits on all the major networks that he was wrong when he earlier refused people from a ship- because it would be bad for his numbers.

17 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I gotta admit. 

My sis, a great mum and very good psychologist has had struggles controlling her kids during this time.

4 boys, ages 13 - 20. The 16 year old, who is usually such an awesome kid is rebelling pretty hard and trying to insist on going out. He had to have his B-day without friends. Last I heard he is settling down by being bribed, pizza deliveries at midnight, allowed to game all night long...

I might give him a call, I taught him drums for a few years. He got so good that I switched to guitar and we would cover ACDC, Led Zeppelin etc... We called ourselves  "The Worst Band in the World" 

image.jpeg.5b6d5b8611bc633ed5b65d990951ebe4.jpeg

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

The two main questions imo to ask is how many of those stranded/returning passengers actually self isolated once they returned. And what kind of screening measures  or directions were in place in airports, YVR for example. 

Not sure we'll ever really know the answer to question 1. Its also a matter of whats the alternative? we just don't have the ability to police everyone.

On Q2 - Deb and others have pointed out YVR was a gong show at times. Thats a place where I want to see some real changes made moving forward. 

34 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I gotta admit. 

My sis, a great mum and very good psychologist has had struggles controlling her kids during this time.

4 boys, ages 13 - 20. The 16 year old, who is usually such an awesome kid is rebelling pretty hard and trying to insist on going out. He had to have his B-day without friends. Last I heard he is settling down by being bribed, pizza deliveries at midnight, allowed to game all night long...

I might give him a call, I taught him drums for a few years. He got so good that I switched to guitar and we would cover ACDC, Led Zeppelin etc... We called ourselves  "The Worst Band in the World" 

Our Nintendo Switch is getting a real workout these days as my Daughter just downloaded Animal Crossing.  She's been getting exercise through the Ringfit game as well.

She hasn't left the house for two weeks.

I've been playing NHL 20 on the PS4 and will probably finish a season in a week or so.  Even though I am working from home, I have a lot more free time without having to commute, change, shower etc..  Been trying to pick up my guitar again but nobody to jam with.  Been trying to find the motivation to tie some flies for fishing but no one to fish with.  Sounds like an Alanis Morrisette song.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but hoping that McCheese reads this and understands what is wrong with that statement.  BTW Mayor McCheese is my favorite Mcdonalds character.  

Chinese is a race, China or more precisely People's Republic of China (Mainland) is a Country.  It is not appropriate to tag this Virus with a whole race.  There are non Chinese living in Mainland China.  Conversely there are almost 50 Million Chinese living outside of Mainland China.  If you include Taiwan which is entirely separate from Mainland China, that figure jumps to almost 80 million which is almost 3 times the population of Canada.  None of these people had anything to do with the Virus.  In fact you can say the same for the majority of the Chinese in Mainland China.  As someone of Chinese descent, I grew up in the mid 70's in Richmond back when the Asian population was relatively small.  I heard the "C" word directed towards me many times.  While it was not right, I understood why that was happening and actually became friends with some of the people that said those things.

So every time somebody calls this the "Chinese" Virus, it unfairly associates me as being a cause of this even though I have just as much to do with this as anyone else on here.

Fffft.....

1. Hamburglar
  2. Grimace
  3. Fry guys
  4. McCheese
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Been trying to pick up my guitar again but nobody to jam with.  Been trying to find the motivation to tie some flies for fishing but no one to fish with.  Sounds like an Alanis Morrisette song.

A few years back I got Rocksmith for my ps3. A guitar learning game, once calibrated it was a real treat and I found myself getting a lot better.

Problem is, my ps3 is dead so I can't fire that back up. 

Teach you daughter some guitar and jam with her?

Fishing alone is ok, like meditation. 

Keep up the personal improvement!

Edited by bishopshodan
oh, and keep showering!
  • Vintage 1

29 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

License having children.

You should have to apply to be allowed to breed. Pass a simple test and you can proceed.

It's a nice/easy solution in theory but a non starter in a free and open society IMO. 

Unfortunately, all we can do is continue to try to educate people and continue to encourage people to be their best selves by being our best selves.

Do unto others and be the change you wish to see. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, coho8888 said:

Not trying to beat a dead horse here but hoping that McCheese reads this and understands what is wrong with that statement.  BTW Mayor McCheese is my favorite Mcdonalds character.  

Chinese is a race, China or more precisely People's Republic of China (Mainland) is a Country.  It is not appropriate to tag this Virus with a whole race.  There are non Chinese living in Mainland China.  Conversely there are almost 50 Million Chinese living outside of Mainland China.  If you include Taiwan which is entirely separate from Mainland China, that figure jumps to almost 80 million which is almost 3 times the population of Canada.  None of these people had anything to do with the Virus.  In fact you can say the same for the majority of the Chinese in Mainland China.  As someone of Chinese descent, I grew up in the mid 70's in Richmond back when the Asian population was relatively small.  I heard the "C" word directed towards me many times.  While it was not right, I understood why that was happening and actually became friends with some of the people that said those things.

So every time somebody calls this the "Chinese" Virus, it unfairly associates me as being a cause of this even though I have just as much to do with this as anyone else on here.

It’s 2020, this even is Global and still, racism is some people’s go-to argument.

If this ass kicker can’t do it for us, perhaps Mother Earth ought to sneeze harder on us.

No pun intended.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

It's a nice/easy solution in theory but a non starter in a free and open society IMO. 

Unfortunately, all we can do is continue to try to educate people and continue to encourage people to be their best selves by being our best selves.

Do unto others and be the change you wish to see. 

After applying their art of sleepwalking through the rat race, all of these people finally realize who their wives and husbands and kids actually are.

1 minute ago, bishopshodan said:

A few years back I got Rocksmith for my ps3. A guitar learning game, once calibrated it was a real treat and I found myself getting a lot better.

Problem is, my ps3 is dead so I can't fire that back up. 

Teach you daughter some guitar and jam with her?

Fishing alone is ok, like meditation. 

Keep up the personal improvement!

I actually bought Rocksmith but never had a chance to open the box!  My PS3 is gathering dust somewhere.  Now that I live in a condo, I have to be careful how loud I crank things up.  

Daughter plays piano and has no interest in any of my Music (Classic Rock, 80's) unless its tied to some movie.  She likes the immigrant song by Led Zep.

I may self isolate out on the River in Chilliwack in the next day or so.

• Upvote 1