The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

That’s what happens when we buy trillions of dollars of goods made in China.

Eventually they grow stronger and either buy us or conquer us.

Well, those goods are made there because companies move there to take advantage of the monumentally low average wage, and lax (if not completely absent) labor laws. 

As long as those selfish companies continue to operate as such, this will continue. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Companies have enjoyed decades of profits from operating in China.

But also consumers have enjoyed decades of dirt cheap prices.

if there was no demand there would be no supply.

Totally. I realize I was preaching to the choir as soon as I hit submit. :lol:

There should hopefully be an awakening to this, as the majority of the products manufactured in that country are of the lowest quality, which is obvious when you pay people almost nothing to make the goods. 

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, CBH1926 said:

Companies have enjoyed decades of profits from operating in China.

But also consumers have enjoyed decades of dirt cheap prices.

if there was no demand there would be no supply.

Beyond Maslow’s hierarchy of needs, demand is created.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I have always been a person that looks where the stuff is made.

Its not easy, couple of years ago it took me 2 months to find can opener and grater made in the U.S.

I also collect handmade Christmas ornaments, few years ago I wanted to get one that was made in Canada.

That was very difficult but my house is full of paintings, artwork, pottery, woodwork  handmade by Canadian and U.S artists.

Every place I go to I try to buy locally made products.

Supporting local economy is important to me and if that means I have to have less things so be it.

I do understand that locally made stuff is more expensive vs. made in China but plenty of people that have the resources don’t care about that.

Same here. I’ve always strived to avoid any goods from China whenever possible as the quality (and more so the endurance) of the product is usually always inferior. 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, naslund.is.king said:

Im still questioning why they haven't mandated it across the country

Essential workers only.

They drive home that message but in some provinces/territories they leave it up to businesses to put health before money

Please stay home...........

unless you need to do a liquor and darts run after a drive through Rotten Ron’s followed by a binge of Netflix.

and on and on and on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

its really hard though as electronic goods are more often than not made in China.  I try though even if I have to pay more.  My guitars are either made in Mexico or the US.  My fishing gear by and large is made in the US.  The problem is obsolescence.  People replace their phones every 2 years or buy that new 8k TV that they absolutely feel they need.  Cheap every day household items etc..  Its like doing business with the devil.  

Companies need to find other countries to manufacture their goods in and not rely so much on Mainland China.  At least one with a less oppressive government.  

10 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

I have always been a person that looks where the stuff is made.

Its not easy, couple of years ago it took me 2 months to find can opener and grater made in the U.S.

I also collect handmade Christmas ornaments, few years ago I wanted to get one that was made in Canada.

That was very difficult but my house is full of paintings, artwork, pottery, woodwork  handmade by Canadian and U.S artists.

Every place I go to I try to buy locally made products.

Supporting local economy is important to me and if that means I have to have less things so be it.

I do understand that locally made stuff is more expensive vs. made in China but plenty of people that have the resources don’t care about that.

• Cheers 1

Might be good to stock up on frozen veggies & fruit because if we have a prolonged lockdown (going to many months), the supplies of 'fresh fruit' ain't going to last forever (not an endless supply).  That is, if people haven't already hoarded the heck out of them.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Well, those goods are made there because companies move there to take advantage of the monumentally low average wage, and lax (if not completely absent) labor laws. 

As long as those selfish companies continue to operate as such, this will continue. 

for many its follow suit and go to China or go bankrupt unfortunately. Its always been a race to the bottom.