The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Coronavirus outbreak

CBH1926

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

what would you like the essential service workers to do that are single parents? take their kids with them to work? 

Sure. 

Do you understand what quarantine is about?  

Don't put people at risk unless necessary.  

The hospitals should have day care programs for their employees.

2 minutes ago, Heretic said:

It still puts people at risk unnecessarily.  

Give them a break they are kids of healthcare people for crying out loud. So it’s better that doctors, hospital workers and nurses stay home to take care of the kids instead of saving lives? It’s a sacrifice that everybody is making. 

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

There's no evidence that we get any immunity 

Experts say the body’s antibody response, triggered by the onset of a virus, means it is unlikely that patients who have recovered from COVID-19 can get re-infected so soon after contracting the virus. Antibodies are normally produced in a patient’s body around seven to 10 days after the initial onset of a virus, says Vineet Menachery, a virologist at the University of Texas Medical Branch.

Instead, testing positive after recovery could just mean the tests resulted in a false negative and that the patient is still infected. “It may be because of the quality of the specimen that they took and may be because the test was not so sensitive,” explains David Hui, a respiratory medicine expert at the Chinese University of Hong Kong who also studied the 2002-2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), which is caused by a coronavirus in the same family as SARS-CoV-2.

https://time.com/5810454/coronavirus-immunity-reinfection/

7 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Sure. 

Do you understand what quarantine is about?  

Don't put people at risk unless necessary.  

The hospitals should have day care programs for their employees.

they are following the BC CDC rules, its right there in the article. 

3 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Experts say the body’s antibody response, triggered by the onset of a virus, means it is unlikely that patients who have recovered from COVID-19 can get re-infected so soon after contracting the virus. Antibodies are normally produced in a patient’s body around seven to 10 days after the initial onset of a virus, says Vineet Menachery, a virologist at the University of Texas Medical Branch.

Instead, testing positive after recovery could just mean the tests resulted in a false negative and that the patient is still infected. “It may be because of the quality of the specimen that they took and may be because the test was not so sensitive,” explains David Hui, a respiratory medicine expert at the Chinese University of Hong Kong who also studied the 2002-2003 outbreak of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS), which is caused by a coronavirus in the same family as SARS-CoV-2.

Soon after, but not longer term.  I'm pretty sure I had it in late January and pretty sure I have it now.

Just now, stawns said:

Soon after, but not longer term.  I'm pretty sure I had it in late January and pretty sure I have it now.

it would be really unusual to not have immunity, we do from other corona viruses we get, but I guess we have to wait and see what the serology tests say once they have the capacity to get those going. 

8 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It’s unlikely to get it again, however it doesn’t mean one can’t because there haven’t been any conclusive long term evidence to suggest immunity last more than a short term duration or having it once makes you immune for a long time. 

Again, common sense must be our default setting here and one ought to be prepared to conduct themselves, pre and post infection, as if they can get it again. 

• Cheers 4

Looks like China isn't the only place that might be jumping the "Mission Accomplished" gun....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/stupid-and-crazy-local-officials-protest-gov-kemps-decision-to-reopen-beaches-in-hard-hit-georgia/ar-BB12e0jp?li=AAggFp5#image=BBZaM5o|5

For the first time in recent memory, tourist-dependent Tybee Island, Ga. was trying its best to keep visitors away. The small barrier island shuttered its beaches on March 20 out of fear that out-of-town visitors could bring the novel coronavirus to a community with an aging population and no hospital, and clog the single two-lane highway to the mainland. Other coastal Georgia communities followed suit, closing hotels and motels and banning short-term rentals. 

But those precautions were abruptly scrapped on Thursday, when Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp (R) enraged local leaders by reopening all the state’s beaches.

“As the Pentagon ordered 100,000 body bags to store the corpses of Americans killed by the Coronavirus, Governor Brian Kemp dictated that Georgia beaches must reopen, and declared any decision makers who refused to follow these orders would face prison and/or fines,” Tybee Island Mayor Shirley Sessions wrote in a furious denunciation on Saturday, referencing a request that the Federal Emergency Management Agency made last week to the Department of Defense. “The health of our residents, staff and visitors are being put at risk and we will pursue legal avenues to overturn his reckless mandate.”

Kemp’s stay-at-home order, which supersedes those issued on the city or county level, states that nonessential workers should stay home when not making necessary trips to medical appointments, pharmacies and grocery stores. Residents are also allowed to leave their homes to exercise, and the governor’s office has said that officers from Georgia’s Department of Public Safety and Department of Natural Resources will be patrolling beaches to ensure compliance with social distancing guidelines.

The announcement appeared to catch local officials off guard, with Allen Booker, a Democratic county commissioner in Glynn County, Ga., calling it “stupid and crazy at the same time.”

I said something similar to this the last time Kemp did something abysmally stupid (which wasn't very long ago): Georgia could have had an intelligent governor, who wouldn't be putting lives in jeopardy in some misguided effort to curry favor with Trump and his ilk......but they refused to vote for a Democrat who just happened to be a woman and an African American at that.

Hey Georgia: Hows that working out for you?

• Upvote 3
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

it would be really unusual to not have immunity, we do from other corona viruses we get, but I guess we have to wait and see what the serology tests say once they have the capacity to get those going. 

they don't know if there's immunity to the other corona viruses, like SARS/MERS, as there weren't enough cases to get a sense of the immunity.  I hope so, but they don't know anything, one way or the other.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/03/20/819038431/do-you-get-immunity-after-recovering-from-a-case-of-coronavirus

Like I said, I'm positive I had it in January and I'm positive Ihave a much milder case now, though, as the article you cited pointed out, that could just be the virus still being in my system.

Edited by stawns

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Stawns is right on this one. We don't know yet if we can recover and gain enough immunity to not get reinfected from it again. It's more likely that we can, as we do for others, but this is a pretty big risk to take. Further on that, even if someone recovers from it and does, in fact, build complete immunity to reinfection, if it mutates, which there are reports of it doing so already, then that person could very well get infected from the new strain. And even further on that, we also don't know what kind of long term lung damage is done to us with this strain. Maybe it damages our lungs so badly that simply getting the latest strain of the influenza kills us? We just don't know these things. We hope it's just like all the other forms of corona, but it is novel with lots of unknowns still.

This all accounts into why it's so concerning, especially when we don't have a vaccine for it. 

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Looks like China isn't the only place that might be jumping the "Mission Accomplished" gun....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspolitics/stupid-and-crazy-local-officials-protest-gov-kemps-decision-to-reopen-beaches-in-hard-hit-georgia/ar-BB12e0jp?li=AAggFp5#image=BBZaM5o|5

I said something similar to this the last time Kemp did something abysmally stupid (which wasn't very long ago): Georgia could have had an intelligent governor, who wouldn't be putting lives in jeopardy in some misguided effort to curry favor with Trump and his ilk......but they refused to vote for a Democrat who just happened to be a woman and an African American at that.

Hey Georgia: Hows that working out for you?

they just keep digging.  I almost feel it's a coordinated effort, by Repubs, to jump start the apocalypse their voter base so badly want.  That's the only explanation that makes sense because elected officialls cannot be this stupid.

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

"it is unlikely"

does not mean it isn't possible.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, stawns said:

they just keep digging.  I almost feel it's a coordinated effort, by Repubs, to jump start the apocalypse their voter base so badly want.  That's the only explanation that makes sense because elected officialls cannot be this stupid.

Well they believe in Jeebus will take them to heaven.  Too bad they want to drag everyone else down to Hades.

• Cheers 3

24 minutes ago, ktcy2 said:

Give them a break they are kids of healthcare people for crying out loud. So it’s better that doctors, hospital workers and nurses stay home to take care of the kids instead of saving lives? It’s a sacrifice that everybody is making. 

Okay - you look after them - or how about your wife?

15 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

Stawns is right on this one. We don't know yet if we can recover and gain enough immunity to not get reinfected from it again. It's more likely that we can, as we do for others, but this is a pretty big risk to take. Further on that, even if someone recovers from it and does, in fact, build complete immunity to reinfection, if it mutates, which there are reports of it doing so already, then that person could very well get infected from the new strain. And even further on that, we also don't know what kind of long term lung damage is done to us with this strain. Maybe it damages our lungs so badly that simply getting the latest strain of the influenza kills us? We just don't know these things. We hope it's just like all the other forms of corona, but it is novel with lots of unknowns still.

This all accounts into why it's so concerning, especially when we don't have a vaccine for it. 

I actually feel like I might be clear of the virus and I'll feel normal for a cpl days, but as soon as I do anything where I'm breating heavily I take two steps back.  It's aggravating and concerning as I have my busiest time 2.5 weeks from now, where I am lifting 10000-15000 lbs of beehives every night for 5-6 weeks.

Edited by stawns
  • Huggy Bear 3

Boris Johnson has been taken to intensive care - BBC

Mon 6 Apr 2020 19:12:10 GMT

BBC report

It's not the Russian media this time, the BBC reports that Boris Johnson has been taken to intensive care.

Statement from No 10 Downing now out:

'Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the Prime Minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital.'
The spokesman said that his condition worsened today and he has been moved to the ICU after his condition worsened.

"The PM has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who is the First Secretary of State, to deputise for him where necessary
Edited by nuckin_futz